The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 457 (10/30/21)
In Memoriam: Gabriel Alvarez
Gabriel Alvarez, a long-time cigar industry veteran, passed away suddenly on October 25, 2021. Alvarez worked on the retail and brand side of the cigar business. He was best known for his reputation as a brand launcher. In his career, Alvarez would introduce three separate cigar companies to the U.S. market. We look back at Alvarez’s contributions to the cigar industry here.
Tobacco Tax Hike Removed from Build Back Better Act
The 96 Billion Dollar tobacco tax proposal that was a part of the Build Back Better Act has been removed. The Build Better Back Act is a human infrastructure plan that includes parts of President Biden’s American Jobs Plan and American Families Plan. We got the details here.
- Drew Estate/JR Cigar: The Herrera Estelí by Drew Estate JR 50th was announced as the latest JR 50th Installment
- Tatuaje: The Tatuaje Karloff is returning for a limited run as an exclusive to TAA retailers.
- Espinosa: The company announced the new Crema Box Pressed Toro line extension.
- HVC Cigars: The company announced the HVC Black Friday 2021 Limited Edition
- La Flor Dominicana: The company released a special “The Cigar Game” cigar to R&R Cigars in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
- S.T. Dupont: The company introduced the Brushed Copper Collection
- Espinosa Cigars: The company has cancelled its Virtual La Zona Palooza 2021 and has scheduled an In-Person Edition for March 2022
- Puro Sabor: The upcoming Puro Sabor 2022 festival has been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Scandinavian Tobacco Group: Announced the promotion of Justin Andrews to Business Development Manager.
- Vandermarliere Cigar Family: This will now serve as the umbrella company for the J.Cortès and Oliva Brands
- House of Representatives: HR 3982 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week four new co-sponsors signed on: Sanford Bishop [D-GA], Vern Buchanan [R-FL], Tom Cole [R-OK], and Ruben Gallego [D-AZ]. The total number of sponsors is now 50.
- U.S. Senate: S.438 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at nine.
- Abuelo Padre by United Cigar
- Aganorsa Leaf Rare Leaf Reserve Robusto
- Camacho Factory Unleashed (Toro)
- Arturo Fuente Rare Pink Vintage 1960’s Work of Art
- Crowned Heads Mil Días Mareva Edición Limitada XX
- Diesel Crucible (2021)
Agile Cigar Reviews
The Smoking Syndicate
Features and Blog
- None this week
Prime Time Podcasts
Prime Time Show
Prime Time Special Edition
Prime Time Jukebox
11/1: Prime Time Jukebox Episode 54: Rolling Stone Top 500 Songs Part 2 – 450 to 401
11/1: The Smoking Syndicate Roundtable #3: Undercrown 10
11/2: Prime Time Special Edition 109: TBA
11/4: Prime Time Episode 208: Kevin Schweitzer, Vintage Rock-a-Feller Cigar Group
On This Date…
On this date October 30th…
- Oct 30, 2011: We assessed the Viaje Skull and Bones Mystery Box-press 2011
- Oct 30, 2012: We assessed the Toraño Salutem
- Oct 30, 2013: We reported on the Ezra Zion FHK.
- Oct 30, 2013: We reported on the Aging Room Bin No. 1
- Oct 30, 2014: We reported on Bob Moreno being named Vice President of Sales for La Palina
- Oct 30, 2014: We reported on the E.P. Carrillo Noche D’Oro
- Oct 30, 2014: We assessed the Tatuaje Frank (Part of the Pudgy Monsters Series)
- Oct 30, 2015: We reported on the La Flor Dominicana Special Football Edition for California
- Oct 30, 2015: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the La Flor Dominicana 1994 Tango
- Oct 30, 2015: We reported on the Drew Estate Acid Supercell
- Oct 30, 2016: We published the Feature Story, Victor Vitale and Legacy Brands Forge Ahead in Face of FDA Regulations
- Oct 30, 2016: We assessed the Viaje Full Moon Edición Limitada 2015
- Oct 30, 2017: We assessed the Camacho Nicaraguan Barrel-Aged Toro
- Oct 30, 2017: We reported on Terence Reilly departing Quesada Cigars
- Oct 30, 2018: We assessed the AJ Fernandez Bellas Artes Maduro Toro
- Oct 30, 2019: We announced the “The Blog” for Cigar Coop
- Oct 30, 2019: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the Protocol Official Misconduct Corona Gorda by Cubariqueño Cigar Company
- Oct 30, 2020: We reported on the Partagas Limited Reserve Decadas 2020
- Oct 30, 2020: We reported on the Brotherhood No. 1 by Oscar Valladares Released
- Oct 30, 2020: We reported on the Aladino Corojo Reserva No. 4 2020 Limited Edition