The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Our 2014 IPCPR Digest is now live. Follow this to keep track of all products and news related to this year’s trade show in July.
We have completed three installments of our 2014 IPCPR Preview Series. Part 4 will be this Sunday.
Feature of the Week: Ashton Symmetry
For the past few years, much of Ashton’s focus has been on their Nicaraguan lines La Aroma de Cuba and San Cristobal. While certainly the core Ashton lines have not been ignored, there hasn’t been a new line launched under Ashton since 2006 – until this week. Ashton Cigars has officially announced the Ashton Symmetry. Like the other Ashton lines, this one is made my the Fuente family in the Dominican Republic. However unlike the other Ashton lines, this one is the first to use Nicaraguan tobacco in the blend. The cigar will be launched at the 2014 IPCPR Trade Show later this month.
The period for Public Comment to the FDA’s Deeming Document has been extended 30 days until August 8th. If you are looking for guidance on how to comment, follow the links below:
- White House Issues Response and Rejects Petition to Not Allow The FDA To Regulate Premium Cigars
- CRA Issues Guidance for Public Comment to Proposed FDA Regulations
- FDA To Ask for Public Comment on Premium Cigar Exemption from Regulation
- How Will a Premium Cigar Be Defined in the Eyes of the FDA?
- Cigar Association of America to Continue to Work Closely with FDA in Light of Pending Regulations
- IPCPR Responds to FDA Deeming Document
- Cigar Rights of America Issues Statement on FDA’s Deeming Document on Regulation of Premium Cigars
- IPCPR Issues Guidance to Retailers on Public Comment to FDA’s Proposed Regulations
- FDA Extends Public Comment Period 30 Days
- Small Business Administration Says Economic Impact to Proposed FDA Regulations Underestimated
- OMB Strikes Language From FDA’s Proposed Regulations for Premium Cigars
In this month’s editorial column, we look ahead to the hours leading up to the 2014 IPCPR Trade Show.
News and Previews.
This week the busy news leading up to the IPCPR 2014 Trade Show continued
- Arandoza Cigars: The company announced its third line, the Arandoza Red.
- Avo Cigars: We previewed the Avo’s Greatest Hits sampler pack. This will contain 14 cigars from the Avo Limited Edition series. The brand also shipped its second TAA cigar, the Avo 2nd Movement TAA Limited Release.
- Boutique Blends Cigars: The company is launching a new line called La Boheme.
- Camacho Cigars: Details of the Camacho Liberty 2014 have surfaced.
- Cuban Stock Cigar Company: The company has announced the Chubby’s Boss.
- Davidoff: The company formally announced the Davidoff Primeros Nicaragua line – and announced a rebranding for the Primeros line as a whole.
- Gurkha Cigar Group: Several announcements on new products were made this week. This includes the Gurkha Cellar Reserve Edicion Especial, Gurkha Royal Challenge Maduro, East India Trading Company Classic Cigar, and the relaunch of the Pedro Martin Ruby and Pedro Martin Maduro as planned 2014 releases.
- Iconic Leaf Cigar Company: The Recluse Amadeus has shipped to select retailers.
- Illusione Cigars: The Illusione *G* Gigantes is shipping to retailers.
- J. Fuego Cigar Company: We previewed the upcoming J. Fuego Heat Corojo.
- Matilde Cigars: We previewed the upcoming Matilde Renacer Lancero.
- Miami Cigar: The company has announced they will distribute Hfbarcelona. This is a cigar accessories brand based in Spain.
- Quesada Cigars: The company announced that its Oktoberfest 2014 release will feature a new band design and a special event only vitola.
- Roberto P. Duran Cigars: Last week, we reported on the release of the eponymous Roberto P. Duran cigar. This week we have more details.
- RoMa Craft Tobac: The company will become the exclusive U.S. distributor for Tierra Volcan Cigars (based out of Toronto, Canada)
- Warped Cigars: The company has announced its Nicaraguan puro line, Flor De Valle
Legislative News (Other)
- FDA: No new sponsors were added to HR792 this week. The total remains at 157 co-sponsors (158 total sponsors)
- Vermont: This past week, the state became the seventh the country to ban smoking in cars carrying children and the sixth to outlaw smoking in hotel rooms.
Our smokes of the week included:
Bolivar Simones Edicion Regional Exclusivo Canada 2007
Davidoff Colorado Claro Special T (Redux)
Davidoff Limited Art Edition
Herrera Esteli Lancero – Edicion Limitada 2014
Nat Sherman Sterling Corona Gorda
Nat Sherman Timeless Super Lancero
Tatuaje Pudgy Monsters: Tiff
Torch Connecticut Toro by Veritas Cigars
Viaje Roman Candle 2014
- July 5th 2012: We reported on the national launch of Merlion by La Sirena in Chattanooga, Tennessee
- July 5th 2012: We did a joint review on the Rodrigo La Fortaleza Cinco 5 with our good friends at A Cigar Smoker’s Journal.
- July 5th 2013: We previewed the Costa Fuerte by Primer Mundo Cigars.
- July 5th 2013: We assessed the Asylum 13 Authentic Corojo.
- July 5th 2013: We previewed the San Cristobal Revelation.
- July 5th 2013: We previewed the Nica Rustica by Drew Estate.
- July 5th 2013: We reported on the 2013 release of the La Flor Dominicana Colorado Oscuro.
- July 5th 2013: We reported on Dona Flor’s Precioso 36 Edição Limitada.