The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 36 (Edition 185 7/30/16)
Feature of the Week: IPCPR Convention and Trade Show
This past week was dominated by the International Premium Cigar and Pipe Retailer (IPCPR)’s 84th annual Convention and Trade Show. Our product-centric coverage was present throughout the trade show. Over the next couple of weeks we will be compiling our detailed post-game coverage. A full digest of all of our product coverage can be found here.
IPCPR Pre-Game Series
- A Look at This Year’s Trade Show and Convention
- The Trends to Watch
- Predictions for the Five Hottest Cigars
- Around the Show Floor
Detailed IPCPR Coverage
- Drew Estate: We covered the new Liga Privada No. 9 and T52 Tubo offerings We also took a look at the return of the Liga Privada No. 9 and T52 Flying Pigs Return and the Velvet Rats heading to Drew Diplomat Retailers. Finally the Deadwood Tobacco Sweet Jane, Fat Bottom Betty and Crazy Alice are going national.
- Boutique Blends: We covered company President Rafael Nodal’s session with the media where he presented an overview of his companys 2016 releases.
- Caldwell Cigar Company: Details around All Out Kings, the project the company is doing with Drew Estate were announced.
- Ciguardian: We took a look at the company’s new Disposable Humidification Pouch
- Davidoff: We recapped the Davidoff Golden Band Awards.
- Ditka: The new Ditka Throwback 2016 was unveiled.
- E.P. Carrillo: We took a detailed look at the E.P. Carrillo Capa de Sol and the new Encore, two new releases as a part of E.P. Carrillo’s portfolio overhaul.
- Illusione: We took a look at the company’s major portfolio expansion.
- Joya de Nicaragua: The Joya de Nicaragua Cabinetta Serie is being rebranded as Joya Cabinetta
- La Aurora: The new La Aurora Preferidos 1903 Edition Double Barrel Aged was unveiled. In addition, three new line parejo extensions are coming to the La Aurora Preferidos series.
- La Flor Dominicana: We took a look at the La Flor Dominicana Andalusian Bull and the La Flor Dominicana Salomon Unico.
- Miami Cigar and Company: The Nestor Miranda Collection Corojo was officially announced.
- Recluse Cigar Company: The company rounded out announcing its new releases – including: Recluse OTG Habano, Recluse Draconian Connecticut, Recluse Draconian Corojo, Recluse Draconian Habano
- Room 101 Cigars: The second installment of the Room 101 Artist Collection Series, Chief Cool Arrow was unveiled.
- Oscar Valladares Tobacco & Co.: We took a look at The Oscar which was officially unveiled this week.
- The Griffin’s: A Toro Size of The Griffin’s Nicaragua was launched.
- Viva Republica: Lancero line extensions are to Guerrilla Warfare and Advanced Warfare
- Drew Estate: Company President, Michael Cellucci has departed Drew Estate, Meanwhile, Glenn Wolfson has been amed New CEO
This week Altria dropped its lawsuit Against FDA
On Going Coverage
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 21.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week no new co-sponsored were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 166.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week no new co-sponsored were added. The total number of sponsors is now 72.
- Missouri: A tobacco tax will be heading for a public vote in November.
No show next week. We will return with Episode 195 on Monday August 1st at 6:30 PM Eastern.
Stogie Geeks Throwback
This week we go back to Episode 27, the Breast Cancer Research Benefit.
On this date July 30th…
- July 30th 2011: We previewed the Tatuaje Fausto.
- July 30th 2011: We assessed the Esteban Carreras 211.
- July 30th 2011: We previewed Macanudo Vintage 1997 Maduro Line Extensions..
- July 30th 2012: We re-posted a press release on the CAO Concert.
- July 30th 2012: We previewed the third Quesada Q D’Etat cigar.
- July 30th 2013: We assessed the Flor de las Antillas Toro Grande (Retail Exclusive to Binny’s Beverage Depot).
- July 30th 2013: We previewed the Viva Republica Rapture Maduro.
- July 30th 2013: We previewed the Dunhill Aged Reserva Especial 2006.
- July 30th 2013: We reported on J.C. Newman’s plans to rebrand the Diamond Crown Maduro as the Diamond Crown Black Diamond
- July 30th 2014: We previewed the Villiger 1888 Especiales.
- July 30th 2014: We reported on the Cohiba Luxury Selection.
- July 30th 2014: We reported on the Illusione ~eccj~ 20th.
- July 30th 2015: We authored a Feature Story “Spotlight on Boutique Blends Cigars at 2015 IPCPR Trade Show“
- July 30th 2015: We reported General Cigar’s plans to move Bolivar and Ramon Allones to the Foundry Brand
- July 30th 2015: We reported on the Viaje Collaboration 2015.
- July 30th 2015: We reported on Elogio’s plans Excentrico No 4 Serie Mi Abuelo 2015 a.=