The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 43 (Edition 192 9/17/16)
Feature of the Week: Viaje Circa ’45 Launched in Europe
Viaje has its first full-line dedicated to Europe. This week, on the eve of Inter-Tabac 2016, Andre Farkas launched the Viaje Circa ’45. It is a more traditional cigar in terms of its profile and its packaging. We got the details here.
Detailed IPCPR Coverage
This past week we planned to wind down our reports from the 2016 IPCPR. Well, we decided to add some additional ones. Right now we expect this to be the last week of our daily coverage.
- Bombay Tobak: We recapped the company’s 2016 IPCPR releases.
- Duran Cigars: We recapped the company’s 2016 IPCPR releases. We also looked at Duran’s new partnership with Meirelles y Acevedo – a brand being distributed by Duran.
- 1502 Cigars: We looked at the line extensions to the 1502 XO line.
- Emilio Cigars: We took a look at the Emilio Fifteen and the Emilio Cavatina.
- General Cigar: We took a look two value priced offerings: Odyssey and House Blend.
- Guayacan Cigars: We took a look at the new Guayacan Rojas Reserve Connecticut and line extensions to the Guayacan Rojas Reserve Maduro line.
- Gurkha: We took a look at the Gurkha Blendmaster’s Cask and the Gurkha Malt Collection.
- Klin Tobacco: We looked at the Hammer + Sickle Berlin Wall Box Pressed and The Caleanoch 50.
- La Flor Dominicana: We recapped the company’s 2016 IPCPR releases.
- MoyaRuiz Cigars: We recapped the company’s 2016 IPCPR releases.
- Padron: The company has made two former TAA cigar sets the Padron 1964 Anniversary Belicoso (2014) and Padron Serie 1926 No. 47 regular production releases.
- Perdomo Cigars: We looked at the relaunch of the Perdomo Estate Seleccion.
- Ventura Cigar Company: We looked the the new Case Study line.
- Viaje: We took a look at the Viaje Farmer Bill Hatchet Zombie Edition.
- Espinosa Cigars: The company’s Espinosa Alpha Dawg and Pier 28 Habano headed for widespread distribution.
- Inter-Tabac 2016: The trade show based in Europe opened in Dortmund, Germany.
- Tabacalera USA: The company opened its Casa de Montecristo Dallas store.
This week the FDA it had run its first set of Age Compliance Checks since the Deeming Regulations were extended to all tobacco products. As we saw, there were no violations involving traditional hand-rolled cigars. We got the details here.
Our ongoing FDA Coverage is here:
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 21.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 167.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week two new co-sponsors were added. This includes: Brad Wenstrup [R-Ohio] and Mike Bishop [R-Michigan]. The total number of sponsors is now at 78.
- South Dakota: A judge upheld the State’s Smoking Ban. Several Video Lottery companies filed a lawsuit in 2011 claiming the law was unconstitutional.
Agile Cigar Review
This week was Episode 200 for Stogie Geeks. Thank you to our loyal listeners, viewers, readers, and sponsors!
For Episode 200, we had Abe Flores of PDR Cigars in our studio as our special guest. For our Debonaire Ideal, also reflected on the past and looked ahead to the future. Finally we had our Stogies of the Week which included:
Archetype Dreamstate Toro
Caldwell Eastern Standard Dos Firmas (Caldwell Signature) Culebra
Caldwell Eastern Standard Dos Firmas (Caldwell Signature) Piramide
Caldwell The Last Tsar Belicoso
Charter Oak Connecticut Shade Petite Corona by Foundation Cigar Company
Davidoff Yamasa Piramides
Davidoff Yamasa Robusto
Entrada 1st Edition Corona
Fuente Fuente OpusX Oscuro Reserva D’ Chataeu
Imperia Fundador by MLB Cigar Ventures
Matilde Quadrata Robusto
The Oscar Robusto
Room 101 Big Delicious
Serino Royale Maduro XX Sublime
Tatuaje Reserva K222
Tatuaje Skinny Hyde
On this date September 17th…
- September 17th 2010: In our “Tales from the IPCPR 2010” series, we covered “One Last Night with the Stars“
- September 17th 2011: We did a pre-release review on theLa Gloria Cubana Artesanos Retro Especiale.
- September 17th 2012: We did a pre-release assessment on the CAO Concert.
- September 17th 2013: We reported on the first cigar release by Blessed Leaf.
- September 17th 2013: We did a pre-release assessment of the KILO by Miami Cigar and Company.
- September 17th 2014: We reported on General Cigar acquiring the Leccia Tobacco brands and Sam Leccia joining General.
- September 17th 2014: We reported on the release of Sensei’s Sensational Sarsaparilla by Espinosa Cigars – an exclusive for Cigar Dojo.
- September 17th 2014: We assessed the El Rey de los Habanos by Don Pepin Garcia (2014 Edition for The Pipe and Pint) Toro
- September 17th 2015: We reported on the Kafie 1901 Sumatra release.
- September 17th 2015: We assessed the Cigar Review: Casa Magna D. Magnus II TAA Exclusive Hadrian.