The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
ALPHA CIGAR COMPANY IS OUR SPONSOR FOR THE CIGAR INDUSTRY REPORT.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 39 (Edition 240 8/19/17)
Feature of the Week: Department of Justice Ends Operation Choke Point
Operation Choke Point, a controversial initiative started under the Obama Administration that denied financial services to businesses it deemed “high risk” has ended. We have the details here.
Feature of the Week: Decision on Motion by Six Health Organizations to Intervene as Defendants on Industry Lawsuit Deferred
A U.S. district court has ruled that it will defer a decision on a motion filed by six health organizations to Intervene as Defendants in FDA Lawsuit filed by the CAA, CRA, and IPCPR until September 4th. This follows recent activity where the trade associations opposed such a move while the FDA took a neutral stance.
Feature of the Week: Cigar Coop Celebrates Seven Year Anniversary
On August 15, 2010, Cigar Coop celebrated its seventh year in operation. This week, we did a feature story entitled “ Seven for Seven – The Seven Best Cigar Coop Moments of the Past Seven Years”
If you want to read our first article, check out “Worth it for an Iced Coffee?”
IPCPR 2017 Reports
We continued our post IPCPR coverage. Be sure to follow our 2017 IPCPR Digest for our full coverage.
This week we had the following feature stories:
- Spotlight on Casa Fernandez at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show
- Spotlight on De Los Reyes Cigars at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show
- Spotlight on Espinosa Cigars at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show
- Spotlight on United Cigar at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show
This week we filed the following reports:
- Casa Fernandez: The company launched the Buena Cosecha Corojo.
- Chinnock Cellars Cigars: The company launched the Chinnock Cellars Terroir Petite Toro.
- Illusione Cigars: The company announced the Illusione Singularé 2018 Turin.
- La Aurora: The company formally launched it’s La Aurora ADN Dominicano line. The company has made its La Aurora Puro Vintage 2006 111 Aniversario Toro and Preferido sizes now available individually, La Aurora also officially launched the remainder of its La Aurora Preferidos Parejo Line Extensions.
- Montecristo: The Altadis brand launched the Montecristo Grupo de Maestros Private Batch III.
- Padilla Cigar Company: The company launched the Padilla 1932 Millisime.
- VegaFina: The Altadis brand had a U.S. launch of the VegaFina Añejado 7 Años Robusto Extra.
- Drew Estate: The company officially announced the Undercrown Maduro and Herrera Esteli Cuadrado as shop exclusives to Casa de Montecristo and JR Cigar. In addition, the company announced that STG Canada is now the exclusive distributor for Drew Estate in Canada.
- Alec Bradley: The Alec Bradley Black Market Illicit TAA Exclusive is now heading to retailers.
- Jas Sum Kral: The company announced a 6 1/2 x 42 box-pressed vitola of Crna Nok will be released as a shop exclusive to Rudy’s Cigar Lounge in Fort Wayne, Indiana
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week one new co-sponsor, Robert Brady [D-Pennsylvania], was added. The total number of sponsors is now 122.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564.This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 16.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 86.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
This week, we welcomed on Episode 17 Kevin Schweitzer, Rock-A-Feller Cigars. In our Debonaire Ideal segment, we did something called “Debonaire Deliberation”. In our regular Deliberation Segment, we discussed the Boutique Cigar industry forming an association.
Prime Time Special Edition
On Special Edition #9 “Call It a Comeback“, we looked at people in the cigar industry who left only to return, and we discussed some baseball.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 19 (8/31/17) Charlie Minato, Halfwheel
Episode 20 (9/7/17) Tom Lazuka, Asylum Cigars
Episode 21 (9/14/17) TBD
Episode 22 (9/21/17): Ryan Frailing, Island Lifestyle Importers
Episode 23 (9/28/17): TBD
Episode 24 (10/5/17): Enrique Seijas, Matilde Cigars
On this date August 19th…
- August 19th, 2012: We did a feature story on Illusione at IPCPR 2012“.
- August 19th, 2012: We had a cigar conversation with actor Bill Paley of La Palina Cigars.
- August 19th, 2012: We assessed the Camacho Liberty Series 2012.
- August 19th, 2013: We assessed the La Flor Dominicana Double Press Maduro (TAA Edition).
- August 19th, 2013: We previewed the Illusione Epernay Le Voyage.
- August 19th, 2014: We reported on an Arturo Fuente Añejo line extension.
- August 19th, 2014: We reported on MLB Cigar Ventures’ update on its Imperia release.
- August 19th, 2014: We assessed the Tatuaje Jason (Part of the Pudgy Monsters Series).
- August 19th, 2015: We assessed the Recluse Amadeus Habano Reserva Toro.
- August 19th, 2015: We reported on the Felipe Gregorio Pure Dominican 2015
- August 19th 2015: We reported on the launch of the Rocky Patel Ray Lewis Legends 52.
- August 19th, 2016: We reported on the launch of the Rocky Patel Fifty-Five at the 2016 IPCPR Trade Show
- August 19th, 2016: We reported on Ventura Cigar Company’s Archetype Series A.
- August 19th, 2016: We reported on Southern Draw Cigars’ Code Duello.
- August 19th, 2016: We reported on the Tobacconist Association of America donating to the Industry legal challenge
- August 19th, 2016: We reported on the launch and release of the Viaje Birthday Blend
- August 19th, 2016: We reported on Boveda’s new larger humidification packs.
- August 19th, 2016: We reported that a court ruled that labeling changes do not constitute new product but quantity changes do.