The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 51 (Edition 252 11/11/17)
Feature of the Week: Trump Sanctions Program for Cuba Goes into Effect
Back in June, U.S. President Donald Trump announced he was rolling back some of former President Barack Obama’s directives designed at opening up trade and relations with Cuba. This week the Treasury Department unveiled new regulations on what this means for travel and commerce. We have the details here.
News and Previews
- Debonaire: The Debonaire Daybreak is heading to Retailers.
- Colibri: The company has released the Colibri Daytona and the Colibri Allure lighters.
- Espinosa Cigars: National Sales Manager Fernando Zacarias has left the company.
- Swedish Match: The company has sold its remaining shares in Scandinavian Tobacco Group.
- Viaje: The Thanksgiving seasonal releases were announced. This includes the Viaje Stuffed Turkey Edición Limitada 2017 and the return of the Zombie Farmer Bill Hatchet. The company also announced the Viaje Hamaki Omakase.
- Herrera Esteli Miami Corona Larga by Drew Estate
- Davidoff – The Master Selection 2013
- My Father La Opulencia Toro
Agile Cigar Reviews
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 134.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564.This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains 18.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains 88.
- Senate Bill 2100: This bill proposes raising the smoking age nationally to 21.
- FDA: The agency has extended the Ingredient List Submission Deadline Six Months.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
This week, we broadcasted live from Corona Cigar Company in Orlando, Florida for Episode 29. We welcomed our Special Guest Jeff Borysiewicz, owner and founder of Corona Cigar, as well as owner and founder of the Florida Sun Grown Tobacco Farm. We talked about Jeff’s relationship with the late Avo Uvezian in our Debonaire Ideal segment. Finally, we discussed cigar retailers in our Deliberation segment.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Special Edition #16 (11/14/17): La Zona Palooza Post Game Edition
Episode 30 (11/16/17): Ian Reith, Dapper Cigars
Episode 31 (11/21/17): Oliver Nivaud, United Cigars *Tuesday Show*
Episode 32 (11/30/17): Carson Serino, Serino Cigar Company
Episode 33 (12/5/17): The 2017 Cigar Aficionado Top 25 Pre-Game Analysis
Episode 34 (12/14/17): Ram Rodriguez, El Artista
On this date November 11th…
- November 11th, 2011: We assessed the Elogio Excepcionales
- November 11th, 2012: We did a pre-release assessment of the Tatuaje Apocalypse.
- November 11th, 2013: We reported on the La Flor Dominicana Edicion going to Mickey Blake’s.
- November 11th, 2013: We reported on the Davidoff of Geneva Madison Avenue 25th Anniversary cigar arriving at retailers.
- November 11th, 2013: We assessed the Camacho Liberty 2013.
- November 11th, 2013: We reported on Davidoff 2014 Year of the Horse nearing shipment.
- November 11th, 2014: We reported on the Illusione PACTUM.
- November 11th, 2014: We assessed the Sindicato Maduro Toro.
- November 11th, 2014: We provided an update on the Davidoff Oro Blanco.
- November 11th, 2015: We reported on the Viaje Announces Stuffed Turkey 2015 and Farmer Bill Hatchet 2015.
- November 11th, 2015: We assessed the Futuro Selección 109.
- November 11th, 2015: We reported on the Famous 75th Anniversary Cigar by Padrón.
- November 11th, 2016: We assessed the Tatuaje Skinny Frank.
- November 11th, 2016: We reported on the return of the CAO Amazon Basin.
- November 11th, 2016: We reported on CLE beginning distribution of Puros Indios and Cuba Aliados.