The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 8 (Edition 261 1/13/18)
Feature of the Week: Freyja 12 Heading to Stores
After an almost 18 month wait, the Freyja 12 by Las Cumbres Tabaco is heading to stores. We have the details here.
2017 Cigar of the Year Countdown
For the eighth consecutive year, Cigar Coop is releasing its Cigar of the Year Countdown. This is our (near) daily countdown of the Top 30 Cigars of the year for 2017. This year there was a delayed start, but the Countdown officially began on December 9th. This week we unveiled selections #14 through #8.
- #14: Mombacho Cosecha 2012
- #13: RoMa Craft Tobac Wunder|Lust Robusto (2017)
- #12: Cornelius & Anthony Aerial Robusto
- #11: Saga Short Tales Tomo II-Tales of the Land: Cotuí by De Los Reyes Cigars
- #10: Davidoff – The Master Selection 2016
- #9: Hoyo La Amistad (Gold) Rothschild
- #8: 2The Wise Man (El Güegüense) Maduro Robusto by Foundation Cigar Company
Prime Time Awards
This week we announced the winners in two of our five categories in the Prime Time Awards. The remaining three are next week.
News and Previews
- Bombay Tobak: The company announced a new sampler that contains the new MBombay Classic Torpedo.
- Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust: The company has begun shipping its ultra-premium, ultra-limited Muestra de Saka Unicorn
- Casa de Montecristo: The retail arm of Tabacalera USA has acquired Tampa Humidor.
- Davidoff: Promoted Richard Krutick’s to Vice President of Marketing and Retail.
- Gurkha: The company announced it was pulling out of a proposed acquisition of American Caribbean Cigars Factory
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: The company announced the Rocky Patel Adds Tabaquero by Hamlet Paredes Culebra to Lineup
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 140.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 19.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 91.
- Idaho: A bill that would raise the smoking age to 21 is being re-introduced to the legislature.
- Texas: The city of San Antonio has raised the tobacco purchase age to 21.
- West Virginia: State Senators Ron Stollings, Roman Prezioso, Mike Woelfel, Stephen Baldwin, and Robert Beach introduced Senate Bill 13 – a bill that would raise the age for purchasing and using tobacco to 21.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 38, welcomed Ernesto Padilla of Padilla Cigar Company.In our Debonaire Ideal segment we talked packaging, and in our Deliberation Segment we talked about companies that came up short on this year’s end of year lists.
We also published audio and video for Episode 37: Charlie and Jack Toraño.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 40 (1/25/18): Miguel Schoedel, Crowned Heads
No Show 2/1/18
Episode 41 (2/8/18): Andre Farkas, Viaje Cigars
Special Edition #20 (1/23/18): “Big Game Edition” with Jonathan Carney
Special Edition #21 (2/6/18): Omar de Frias, Fratello Cigars
On this date January 13th…
- January 13th, 2011: We reported on Bill Paley of La Palina Cigars on Fox News
- January 13th, 2012: We assessed the My Uzi Weighs a Ton (MUWAT) Bait Fish by Subculture Studios/Joya de Nicaragua
- January 13th, 2013: We did an Assessment Update on the Viaje Oro Reserva VOR No. 5 2012.
- January 13th, 2014: We assessed the E.P. Carrillo Edición Limitada 2013.
- January 13th, 2015: We assessed the Casa Magna Domus Magnus II Trajan by Quesada Cigars
- January 13th, 2015: We reported on the Room 101 Master Collection Three.
- January 13th, 2015: We reported on Avo Cigar’s brand overhaul Revampe.
- January 13th, 2016: We reported on Larry Palombo departing Altadis USA, and joining NACSA.
- January 13th, 2016: We published our 2015 Best Vitola Performance ratings.
- January 13th, 2017: We reported on a bill that would allow Private Businesses to Decide Indoor Smoking Policy.
- January 13th, 2017: We assessed the Quesada Reserva Privada Oscuro Robusto (Part of the 2016 TAA Exclusive Series).
- January 13th, 2017: We reported on the Davidoff 702 Series.
- January 13th, 2017: We named the La Flor Dominicana Litto Gomez Diez Small Batch No. 6 as our #3 Cigar of the Year.