The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 313 (1/19/19)
TODAY THE CIGAR INDUSTRY REPORT TURNS SIX YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!
Six yeas ago to the day, we launched a weekly recap called “Cigar Week Wrap” to follow the happenings of the Cigar Industry and on Cigar Coop. The name changed to the Cigar Industry Report and we’ve never looked back, delivering this report each Saturday morning at 8:00am Eastern Time.
2018 Prime Time Awards/End of Year Coverage
This past week, we wrapped up our 2018 End of Year Coverage
- Small Factory of the Year
- Large Factory of the Year
- Small Company of the Year
- Large Company of the Year
- Person of the Year
News and Previews
- Alan Friedman: The co-founder of the Cigar Guys Radio Show, which became Smooth Draws Radio has passed away.
- Crowned Heads: Announced the Crowned Heads Paniolo Especial 2019 Announced
- D’Crossier: Announced three lines are moving to the ABAM Factory
- Miami Cigar & Company: The Nestor Miranda Special Selection is returning this spring.
- Padilla Cigars: The company is launching the Padilla Finest Hour.
- RoMa Craft Tobac: The company announced the RoMa Craft Tobac Taking Intemperance Whiskey Rebellion 1794 is heading for national release.
- Royal Agio Cigars: The distribution agreement with Avanti is coming to an end.
- United Cigar: The company announced the Byron 19th Century Grand Poemas 2013 Vintage release.
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. ThIs week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors is at 11.
- New York: Governor Andrew Cuomo is proposing raising the tobacco purchase age to 21.
- North Dakota: HB 1236 proposes raising the tobacco purchase age to 19.
- Oregon: House Bill 2158 has been introduced that proposes removing the per cigar limitation on cigar tax.
- Vermont: House Bill H,27 proposes raising the tobacco purchase age to 21.
- Virginia: As part of a larger tobacco regulatory bill, House Bill 2748 proposes raising the tobacco purchase age to 21.
- IPCPR: The organization has hired a lobbyist for the Midwest.
Prime Time Show
This week for Episode 82 we had a Cigar of the Year List Panel Discussion.
Prime Time Special Edition
For Special Edition #45, we covered our Year in Review and paid tribute to Richard Overton.
No Show 1/24/19
Episode 83 (1/31/19): Jarrid Trudeau, Kristoff Cigars
Prime Time Special Edition
pecial Edition 46 (1/22/19) – The LFD Big Game Show with Jonathan Carney
Special Edition 47 (2/5/19) – Terence Reilly, Aganorsa Leaf
On this date January 19th
- Jan 12, 2011: We assessed the El Primer Mundo Connecticut.
- Jan 19, 2012: We provided a preview of La Flor Dominicana’s Double Claro, the first regular production candela cigar for the company.
- Jan 19, 2013: We published the first Cigar Week Wrap, the predecessor to the Cigar Industry Report.
- Jan 19, 2013: We republished a press release on the Earth Supernatural by Cojimar
- Jan 19, 2013: We assessed the Ezra Zion Honor Series Reagan
- Jan 19, 2014: We assessed the Córdoba & Morales 19th Hole
- Jan 19, 2015: We assessed the Nestor Miranda Collection Habano Robusto
- Jan 19, 2015: We reported on Ramon Zapata Perez departing Compañía Hondureña de Tabacos
- Jan 19, 2016: We reported on Sam Leccia departing General Cigar Company
- Jan 19, 2016: We reported on the return of Cigar Federation’s J.W. Marshall by Black Label Trading Company.
- Jan 19, 2016: We assessed the Padrón 1926 Serie No. 47 Maduro (TAA Exclusive)
- Jan 19, 2016: We reported on the Room 101 Fudo Myoo Arrives at JR Cigar
- Jan 19, 2017: We reported on the 75th anniversary of S.T. Dupont.
- Jan 19, 2017: We reported on the Camacho BXP line.
- Jan 19, 2017: We published the Vitola Performance Ratings for 2016
- Jan 19, 2018: We reported on Fuente and Newman Distribution’s company getting a new name
- Jan 19, 2018: We named the La Aurora 107 Cosecha 2006 Corona Gorda Especial as the #2 Cigar for 2017
- Jan 19, 2018: We revealed the EIROA The First 20 Years Colorado 50 x 5 by C.L.E. Cigar Company as the #1 Cigar of the Year for 2017.
- Jan 19, 2018: We published Prime Time Episode 39: Mike Bellody, MLB Cigar Ventures