The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 363 (1/11/20)
Cigar of the Year Countdown 2019
For the tenth consecutive year, Cigar Coop has done a Cigar of the Year Countdown. Through January 6, 2020, we counted down the Top 30 Cigars for 2019. This week we concluded our Countdown with selections #3 through #1
- #3: Alec Bradley Project 40 06.52
- #2: Kristoff Vengeance Robusto
- #1: Saga Short Tales Tomo VI: The Sixth Element: El Tabaco by De Los Reyes Cigars
The criteria for the 2019 Countdown can be found here.
Prime Time Awards
As we do each year we awards for Factory, Company, and Person of the Year. This week were the Factory and Company Awards. Person of the Year will be announced on January 13th, 2020.
- Small/Medium Factory of the Year – Fabrica Oveja Negra
- Large Factory of the Year; Tabacalera AJ Fernandez Cigars de Nicaragua S.A.
- Small/Medium Company of the Year – Southern Draw Cigars
- Large Company of the Year – Altadis U.S.A.
Feature of the Week: Altadis, General, Davidoff and Drew Estate Withdraw From 2020 PCA Trade Show
Four of the biggest cigar manufacturers have announced that they will not be attending the Premium Cigar Association Trade Show. Today Cigar Coop has received confirmation that Altadis U.S.A., General Cigar Company, Davidoff of Geneva, and Drew Estate will not be at the 2020 Trade Show. We’ve got the details here. We also took a look at the brands that will not be exhibited at the 2020 PCA Trade Show. Finally, we published PCA’s response.
News and Previews
- Alec Bradley: Announced expanded distribution of Blind Faith at TPE 2020
- Casa Cuevas: Named Alec Cuevas its Director of Operations.
- Crowned Heads: Announced the Paniolo Especiale 2020
- Fratello Cigars: Announced Fratello Blu, Rosso, and Verde Bundle Offerings will debut at TPE 2020.
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 15.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 84..
- California: A bill is being introduced to ban flavored tobacco at a statewide level.
- Illinois: Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot has introduced an ordinance that would allow cannabis smoking in various business establishments including smoke shops.
- Indiana: The General Assembly has introduced a bill to ban flavored tobacco.
- Virginia: The State has introduced a bill to increase tobacco taxes as well as a bill to ban flavored tobacco.
Prime Time Show
Prime Time Special Edition
Prime Time Jukebox
- No Show This Past Week
Episode 124 (1/16): Scott Pearce, Premium Cigar Association
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 66 (1/14/20): Terence Reilly, Aganorsa Leaf
Special Edition 67 (1/27/20): The Big Game Show with Jonathan Carney
Prime Time Jukebox
On this date Jan 11
- Jan 11 2011: We assessed Macanudo Vintage 1997 Maduro
- Jan 11 2012: We assessed the E.P. Carrillo Short Run 2010 No. 4.
- Jan 11 2013: We posted a story on the Quesada Blender’s Sampler.
- Jan 11 2013: We provided an assessment update on the E.P. Carrillo Edicion Limitada 2011 – Dark Rituals
- Jan 11, 2014: We published Cigar Industry Report: Volume 3, Number 7 (1/11/14)
- Jan 11, 2014: We recapped our The Stogie Geeks Cigar of the Year Selections
- Jan 11, 2014: We assessed the Sindicato Hex
- Jan 11, 2014: We did an Assessment Update on the 1502 Emerald Perfecto
- Jan 11, 2015: We assessed the Lavida Habana (LH) Maduro LH52
- Jan 11, 2016: As a part of our 2015 Year in Review, we published Best Brand Performance for 2015
- Jan 11, 2016: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the Azan White Premium Robusto Extra by Duran Cigars
- Jan 11, 2016: We reported on MLB Cigar Ventures’ Imperia Islero and Aventador
- Jan 11, 2017: We assessed the La Aurora 107 Cosecha 2006 Corona Gorda Especial.
- Jan 11, 2017: We published Matt Booth Farewell Statement to the Cigar Industry
- Jan 11, 2017: We reported on A.J. Fernandez Cigars acquiring the La Gran Llave Brand
- Jan 11, 2017: We unveiled the #4 cigar for 2016, Davidoff-The Chefs Edition 2016
- Jan 11, 2018: We reported on Rocky Patel’s Tabaquero by Hamlet Paredes Culebra
- Jan 11, 2018: We unveiled the #9 cigar for 2017 – the Hoyo La Amistad (Gold) Rothschild
- Jan 11, 2018: We reported on Gurkha ending plans to acquire American Caribbean Cigars Factory
- Jan 11, 2018: We published the feature story, A Visit to the JRE Tobacco Company Operations: Part 4-Meeting Mr. Eiroa
- Jan 11 2019: We reported on the opening of Casa de Montecristo in Hallandale Florida.
- Jan 11, 2019: We Tabacalera La Alianza S.A. as the Prime Time Award winner for Small Factory of the Year
- Jan 11, 2019: We did an Agile Cigar Review of the Liga Privada T52 Corona Viva