The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 414 (1/2/21)
2020 Cigar of the Year Countdown
Our 2020 Cigar of the Year Countdown started on December 4th and will run through January 4th. During this time we will count down the top 30 cigars of 2020. This week the following cigars were unveiled:
- #9: Southern Draw Jacobs Ladder Brimstone Perfecto
- #8: La Galera Anemoi Eurus by IndianHead Cigars
- #7: HVC 500 Years Anniversary Teseros
- #6: Esteban Carreras Unforsaken Toro Grande
- #5: Asylum Seven 70 x 7
- #4: Aladino Cameroon Robusto by JRE Tobacco Co.
The criteria for the 2020 Countdown can be found here.
Drew Estate Year of the Rat Humidor Giveaway
Drew Estate has provided us the Year of the Rat Humidors we are giving away! The contest will run through January 2nd, 2021. Winners will be announced on January 6th, 2021. Click here to enter.
- Aganorsa Leaf: Announced the Supreme Leaf Corona Gorda and the Release Rare Leaf Reserve
- AJ Fernandez Cigars: The company has added the New World Connecticut Churchill
- Davidoff The company announced the Davidoff Tampa Exclusive Edition
- Crux Cigars: The company announced the Crux Epicure Lonsdale as an exclusive to Privada Cigar Club
- MoyaRuiz: The Chinese Finger Trap 2 will debut in January.
- ACE Prime: The company announced distribution for Brazil.
- Boutique Cigar Association: Announced it is dropping its non-profit classification and moving to becoming a social platform.
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 15.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains 85.
Features and Blog
Prime Time Podcasts
Prime Time Show
- No Show This Week
Prime Time Special Edition
- No Show This Week
Prime Time Jukebox
- No Show This Week
1/4 Prime Time Jukebox Episode 27: Year in Review Panel Discussion: Music & Cigars
1/5 Prime Time Special Edition 91: The Unauthorized CA Top 25 Pre-Game Show
1/7 Prime Time Episode 169: James Brown, Oveja Negra Brands
On This Date…
On this date January 2nd…
- Jan 2, 2011: We took a look at Cigar.com’s Best of Awards for 2010.
- Jan 2, 2012: We unveiled Top 5 New Vitolas for 2011
- Jan 2, 2013: We unveiled our Best Aged Cigars for 2012.
- Jan 2, 2014: We reported on plans on Quesada’s rebranding and plans for its 40th anniversary.
- Jan 2, 2014: We unveiled our Best Aged Cigars for 2013.
- Jan 2, 2015: We reported the Room 101 Master Collection Three.
- Jan 2, 2015: We assessed the Tatuaje TAA 2014.
- Jan 2, 2015: We reported on the nominations for the Cigar Media Association Awards.
- Jan 2, 2015: We reported on the La Hoja Reserva Limitada 1962.
- Jan 2, 2015: We unveiled our choice for Small / Single Factory of the Year for 2014.
- Jan 2, 2016: We published the Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 6 (1/2/16)
- Jan 2, 2017: We unveiled our #10 Cigar of the Year for 2016, the MBombay Vintage Reserve Lancero 1973
- Jan 2, 2017: We assessed the Smoke Inn 20th Anniversary by Davidoff
- Jan 2, 2018: We reported on Providencia Cigars’ Trinitas
- Jan 2, 2018: We unveiled our #18 Cigar of the Year for 2017, the Archetype Sage Advice Toro by Ventura Cigar Company
- Jan 2, 2018: We reported on the Trinidad La Trova making its debut in Asia
- Jan 2, 2019: We reported on Mark Weissenberger resigning from Rocky Patel Premium Cigars
- Jan 2, 2019: We reported on Jack Toraño joining Espinosa Cigars as Director of Sales
- Jan 2, 2019: We unveiled our #6 Cigar of the Year for 2018, the Las 6 Provincias LHB by Espinosa Cigars
- Jan 2, 2019: We published Editor’s Corner #95: Postseason 2018
- Jan 2, 2019: We reported on the Davidoff Winston Churchill Limited Edition 2019
- Jan 2, 2020: We unveiled our #5 Cigar of the Year for 2019, the Jas Sum Kral Tyrannical Buc Maduro Dobles
- Jan 2, 2020: We reported on the Royal Agio Cigars acquisition being completed by Scandinavian Tobacco Group