The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 38 (Edition 187 8/13/16)
Feature of the Week: FDA Regulations Take Effect
On Monday August 8th, the Deeming regulations by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for premium cigars went into effect. We covered the details on what this means now and in the future. In addition there was a requirement related to imports that caught a few people off-guard in the cigar industry.
On Going Coverage
Feature of the Week: Remembering Carlos Fuente, Sr.
On August 5, 2016, Carlos Fuente, Sr., known to many as “Don Carlos” passed away at the age of 81. Fuente Sr. was the patriarch of the Fuente family and worked with the company for seven decades. We looked back at his life and accomplishments.
Detailed IPCPR Coverage
- CAO: The CAO Sopranos line has been resurrected and revamped as the CAO Consigliere.
- Cohiba: The brand unveiled its Cohiba Macassar at this year’s trade show
- Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust: We took a closer look at several of the limited lines offered by the company.
- General Cigar Company: We took a high level view of what the company released in its various brands at the 2016 IPCPR..
- Torano Cigars: We looked at the new Torano Exodus.
- Avo Cigars: We took a look at Avo 90th Classic Covers Volume 4.
- Boutique Blends: We looked at Oliveros All Stars – the collaboration with Ernesto Perez-Carrillo and the Aging Room Pelo de Oro – the collaboration with A.J. Fernandez.
- Caldwell Cigar Company: We took a look at Blind Man’s Bluff Connecticut and the Corona Gorda and Toro Extra Line Extensions to The Last Tsar
- Casa Fernandez: We took a look at the Aganorsa Leaf Connecticut,
- Colibri: We looked at the new Colibri V-Cut Carbon Fiber Print Offerings.
- Crux Cigar Company: We looked at line extensions to Classic, Bull & Bear, and Guild
- E.P. Carrillo: We continued our look at the company’s revamped portfolio. This week we covered the E.P. Carrillo Core Plus, Cardinal Impact, the repackaged E.P. Carrillo New Wave Connecticut, and E.P. Carrillo Dusk.
- Espinosa Cigars: We took a look at the launch of the Espinosa Crema and some post IPCPR extensions.
- Gurkha: The packaging for Gurkha Jubilee was unveiled at this year’s Trade Show.
- JRE Tobacco: We took a look at the officially launched Aladino line.
- L’Atelier Imports: Three new line extensions to La Mission de L’Atelier have been released.
- Padron Cigars: We took a look at the Padron 1926 Serie No. 90.
- PDR Cigars: We took a look at the new AFR-75 Claro and the AFR-75 Maduro Catador line extension.
- Tatuaje Cigars: More Monsters are coming with the Tatuaje Skinny Monsters Cazadores and Lancero Editions.
- Topper Cigars: We took a look a the Topper Grande 120th Anniversary.
These are products that weren’t at IPCPR 2016, and products that were not marketed. This week, we uncovered the following releases at retailers.
- Camacho: Diploma Special Edition
- Drew Estate: Liga Privada Aniversario and Liga Privada No.9/T52 Short Panetela, Short Corona, Short Belicoso and Gran Corona.
- La Palina: Green Label, White Label, Purple Label, 120th Anniversary, 125th Anniversary
- Matilde: Matilde Serena (Connecticut Shade release)
- Padron: Jose L. Piedra
- Quesada: Oktoberfest 2017-2020 Edition
- Sindicato: Masters Series Nick Perdomo, Masters Series Manolo Quesada, Masters Series, Masters Series Padron Family, and Affinity Maduro
- Curivari: The Curivari Seleccion Privada Lancero will be launched as a limited edition shop exclusive to commemorate Blue Havana II’s 10 Year Anniversary
- J.C. Newman Cigar Company: It was really promoted post-IPCPR, but the Tampa-based company has announced a whole new division called Fourth Generation Cigar Company
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 21.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week no new co-sponsored were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 166.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week no new co-sponsored were added. The total number of sponsors is now 72.
- Missouri: Two tobacco tax initiative petitions were certified by Secretary of State Jason Kander – meaning it can appear on a November ballot for a vote. There is litigation pending that could throw out these initiatives.
- North Dakota: A tobacco tax initiative will appear on the ballot this November. Al Jaeger, Secretary of State certified there were enough signatures on the ballet to certify this.
Our stogies included:
Villiger San’Doro Claro Toro
Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Edicion de Aniversario 2008 Robusto
Camacho Havana Churchill
Fuente Fuente Opus X Angels Share Robusto
Henry Clay Toro
Kristoff Connecticut Robusto
Liga Privada Unico Serie Year of the Rat by Drew Estate
Torano Vault P-044 Robusto
Stogie Geeks News
This week we got updates from E.P. Carillo, Tatuaje, Caldwell and JC Newman.
On this date August 13th…
- August 13th 2011: We assessed the Viaje Oro Reserva VOR DT.
- August 13th 2012: We reposted a joint press release from Emilio Cigars and Miami Cigar & Company on a release for the Chattanooga Tweetup.
- August 13th 2011: We published our Cigar Conversation with Gary Sheffield.
- August 13th 2012: We previewed the La Aurora Cien Anos Edicion Especial (Maduro) – this went on to be the 2013 Cigar Coop Cigar of the Year and the highest rated cigar in the history of Cigar Coop.
- August 13th 2012: We did a pre-release assessment of the Tres Reynas.
- August 13th 2013: We assessed the Azan White Premium by Roberto Duran Cigars.
- August 13th 2013: We previewed the 1502 Black Gold Conquistador.
- August 13th 2014: We assessed the Casa Fernandez Aniversario Serie 2014 Ares
- August 13th 2014: We previewed the Quesada Big Bang Sampler.
- August 13th 2014: We previewed the Padron Family Reserve No. 50.
- August 13th 2015: We did a pre-release assessment of the La Bohème Encantador Turin by Boutique Blends Cigars
- August 13th 2015: We did a Feature Story on “Casa Fernandez Showcases New Releases at 2015 IPCPR“.
- August 13th 2015: We previewed La Aurora Puro Vintage 2006 111 Aniversario Master Case.