The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 36 Edition 289 (8/4/18)
Feature of the Week: Altria’s Comments on the ANPRM to Premium Cigars
This week a controversy ensued Cigar Aficionado article brought forward from comments submitted by Altria in regards to the Advanced Notice of Public Rulemaking (ANPRM) for premium cigars. The comments are controversial because Nat Sherman is an operating company within the giant tobacco conglomerate of Altria who has taken a pro-regulation position on tobacco. We had some thoughts on this which includes links to the podcast discussions we had on this topic.
This week we published The Full 2018 IPCPR Post-Game Report, an in-depth look back at IPCPR.
We continued our IPCPR Spotlight Series:
- Spotlight on Alec Bradley Cigars at the 2018 IPCPR
- Spotlight on Black Label Trading Company, Black Works Studio, and Emilio at the 2018 IPCPR
- Spotlight on Bombay Tobak at the 2018 IPCPR
- Spotlight on Cornelius & Anthony at the 2018 IPCPR
- Spotlight on Cubariqueño Cigar Company at the 2018 IPCPR Trade Show
- Spotlight on Debonaire House at the 2018 IPCPR
- Spotlight on JSK Cigars at the 2018 IPCPR
We also filed the following reports. We will be filing more reports over the next several weeks.
- JRE Tobacco Company: The company launched new banding for Tatascan Yellow
- AJ Fernandez Cigars: The company launched the Enclave Broadleaf Belicoso and the New World Puro Especial Gordo
- C.L.E. Cigar Company: The company launched three Line Extensions to Four C.L.E. Collection Lines
- Dapper Cigar Company: The company made available the Cubo Sumatra
- General: The Odyssey brand launched the Odyssey Maduro.
- Hoyo de Monterrey: The Hoyo La Amistad Black and new packaging for Hoyo La Amistad Gold and Silver.
- My Father: The company unveiled the My Father 10th Anniversary Limited Edition 2018
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: The company launched a new line, the Rocky Patel Tavicusa and the Hamlet 25th Year Salomon line extension.
- Toraño: The brand brought back three legacy blends
- Aganorsa Leaf: The Casa Fernandez Tobacco Haven 30th Anniversary Connecticut will be a shop exclusive to Tobacco Haven.
- Amendola Family Cigar Company: The company is shifting production to Tabacalera G. Kafie y Cia
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 145.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week Sen. John Barasso [R-Wyoming] was added as co-sponsor. The total number of sponsors is now 22.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 94.
- FDA: The agency announced planned initiatives around Premarket Review Process
- Massachusetts: The tobacco purchase age is being raised to 21
This month’s editorial was entitled “Who is Rick Ross?”
Prime Time Show
For Episode 61, Matt Booth was our special guest. In our Debonaire Ideal segment, we covered renting a house as an option in Las Vegas. Finally our Deliberation Segment, we covered the controversy around Altria’s ANPRM comments.
Please see our note on the status of Episode 60.
Prime Time Special Edition
For Special Edition #36, we had an IPCPR Post Game Repot.
Episode 62 (8/9/18): Fred Rewey, Nomad Cigar Company
Episode 62 (8/16/18): To Be Confirmed
Episode 62 (8/23/18): Justo Eiroa, JRE Tobacco Company
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition #37 (7/31/18): TBA
Special Edition #38 (8/28/18): Scott Pearce, IPCPR
On this date August 4th
- August 4th, 2011: We reported on the Crowned Heads Four Kicks to be made at Tabacalera La Alianza
- August 4th 2011: We reported on the Pinar Del Rio Liga Especial Reserva Superior
- August 4th 2011: We assessed the Illusione cg4 Maduro
- August 4th 2012: We previewed the Gurkha Ghost.
- August 4th 2012: We previewed the Pinolero by AJ Fernandez
- August 4th 2012: We previewed the Trinidad Paradox by Altadis
- August 4th 2012: We previewed the La Palina El Diario KB II (Kill Bill II)
- August 4th 2013: We reported on the Zino Platinum “The Make of L.A.”
- August 4th, 2013: We reported on the Partagas Black Label Puritos
- August 4th, 2014: We reported on the relaunch of the La Sirena Original at the 2014 IPCPR Trade Show
- August 4th, 2014: We reported on the Illusione Ultra OP No. 7
- August 4th, 2014: We reported on the La Gloria Cubana Rival Twin Finale Chapter 3 and Chapter 4
- August 4th, 2015: We reported on the launch of the PDR Flores y Rodriguez Connecticut Valley Reserve Broadleaf Maduro at the 2015 IPCPR
- August 4th 2015: We reported on the launch of the CAO Pilón at the 2015 IPCPR
- August 4th 2015: We published a “Cigar Conversation with Jonathan Drew of Drew Estate“
- August 4th 2016: We reported on the Southern Draw Lancero, Perfecto, and Belicoso Line Extensions to Firethorn and Kudzu
- August 4th 2016: We assessed the MoyaRuiz Dim Mak-The Death Touch
- August 4th 2016: We reported on the Southern Draw CCorona Gorda and Short Panatela line extensions to the QuickDraw Line.
- August 4th 2016: We reported on INCH by E.P. Carrillo Changes Introduced at the 2016 IPCPR
- August 4th 2016: We reported on the Nomad Signature Series launch at the 2016 IPCPR
- August 4th 2016: We reported on the Davidoff Signature
- August 4th, 2017: We reported on Maine raising the tobacco purchase age to 21
- August 4th 2017: We reported on the launch of Guardian of the Farm Rambo at the 2017 IPCPR
- August 4th 2017: We reported on the Padilla 1932 returning at the 2017 IPCPR
- August 4th, 2017: We published Prime Time Show Episode 16: Bryan Mussard, Cattle Baron Cigars