The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 352 (10/26/19)
CIGAR JUKEBOX IS JOINING THE PRIME TIME FAMILY OF PODCASTS!
Dave Burck is bringing the Cigar Jukebox into the Prime Time Family of Podcasts starting this November. Read the announcement here.
Feature of the Week: Altria to Explore Sale of Nat Sherman International
Tobacco Giant Altria has announced this week it is exploring options for Nat Sherman International, including the possibility of a potential sale. A part of the potential sale includes its wholesale premium cigar business as well as the lease of the company’s flagship Townhouse store in Manhattan. We’ve got the details here.
Feature of the Week: FDA To Appeal Maryland Court Ruling on Substantial Equivalence Date
The FDA is helping the cigar industry in the fight against the agency itself. Yes, it’s happening as today the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has filed an appeal on the decision of Judge Paul Grimm of the United States District Court for the District of Maryland which moved to accelerate the timetable where Substantial Equivalence filings would take place from August 8, 2021 to May 12, 2020. That case was filed by the American Academy of Pediatrics who argued the FDA did not have the authority to delay the implementation of the Deeming Regulations to August 2, 2021. We got the details here.
News and Previews
- Caldwell Cigar Company: The company is teaming up with Cigar Dojo for the Caldwell Far Eastern Standard.
- Drew Estate: The company announced expansion of the ACID Accent Collection. In addition, a new Gordito size of Fat Bottom Betty was announced.
- Villiger: The company announced the Villiger Cuellar Black Forest
- Black Label Trading Company: The brand announced its Black Label Trading Company Santa Muerte 2019 release
- Crowned Heads: The company announced plans for its Lawless Day 2019 Promotion.
- Emilio Cigars: The brand announced the Emilio Grimalkin Seasonal Edition for 2019.
- Fratello Cigars: The company announced its 2019 edition of the Fratello DMV Series.
- Toscano: The Toscano Garibaldi is coming to the U.S. market.
- Viaje: The company has shipped its Halloween releases for 2019.
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 15.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 79.
- Black Works Studio NBK Lizard King
- Rocky Patel A.L.R. (Aged Limited & Rare) Toro
- Viaje Hamaki Omakase 2019
Agile Cigar Reviews
Prime Time Show
For Episode 115 we welcomed Jonathan Carney of La Flor Dominicana
Prime Time Special Edition
(10/31/19): No Show
Episode 116 (10/31/19): Live from La Zona Palooza 2019
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 62 (11/12/19): The Baseball Show
On this date October 26th
- Oct 26, 2010: We previewed the fifth release cycle of the Viaje Skull and Bones series. We also previewed the 2011 release of the Viaje 50/50 Black and Red.
- Oct 26, 2012: We previewed the Room 101 OSOK 212 NYC (an exclusive to Cigar Inn in New York City)
- Oct 26, 2012: We smoked the Trinidad Paradox by Altadis
- Oct 26, 2013: We published Cigar Week Wrap: Volume 2, Number 41 (10/26/13)
- Oct 26, 2013: We reported on the Patrón Añejo Seasoned Cigar by Ted’s Cigars
- Oct 26, 2013: We assessed the Compañia de Siembra Hojas de Tradicion project
- Oct 26, 2014: We assessed the Cohiba Luxury Selection LS No. 1
- Oct 26, 2015: We assessed the Untamed Extreme Robusto by La Aurora
- Oct 26, 2015: We reported on The Griffin’s Nicaragua
- Oct 26, 2016: We assessed the Espinosa Crema Toro Grande
- Oct 26, 2017: We reported on the Liga Privada Unico Serie UF-4 release for Casa de Montecristo
- Oct 26, 2017: We assessed the Protocol Themis Toro by Cubariqueño Cigar Company
- Oct 26, 2017: We reported on the release of the Colibri EVO.
- Oct 26, 2018: We published Prime Time Episode 72: Alec and Bradley Rubin, Alec Bradley Cigars
- Oct 26, 2018: We reported on Cornelius & Anthony’s being featured in Neiman Marcus Christmas Book
- Oct 26, 2018: We reported on the shipping of the Fratello Navetta Inverso.
- Oct 26, 2018: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the Plasencia Alma Fuerte Nestor IV
- Oct 26, 2018: We reported on the Liga Privada Unico Serie UF-4 release for Casa de Montecristo