The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 395 (8/22/20)
Ten Years of Cigar Coop
We wrapped up our Ten Year Anniversary milestone with a recap of the Ten Year Anniversary Series.
DC Circuit Court Delays FDA Enforcement of Substantial Equivalence and Premarket Rule Requirements
Judge Amit P. Mehta of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia has ruled that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) cannot move forward with the enforcement of premarket rule requirements until he comes up with a streamlined process for premium cigars. This means the September 9th, 2020 date has been thrown out the window. We’ve got the details here.
We also recapped the battle the Cigar Industry has had against the FDA.
Cigar Coop Battle of the Bands Sampler Pack
We are participating in a competition sponsored by Smoke Inn with other media brands to see who can build the best sampler pack. You can find out the details here and how to get it.
Summer of ’20 Coverage
We will be replacing our normal IPCPR/PCA Pre-Game Coverage with “Summer of ’20 Coverage.” This will focus on the products many cigar companies plan to release this summer.
Summer of ’20 Spotlights
- Summer of ’20 Spotlight: Davidoff of Geneva
- Summer of ’20 Spotlight: J.C. Newman Cigar Company
- Summer of ’20 Spotlight: Mombacho Cigars
- Summer of ’20 Spotlight: Rocky Patel Premium Cigars
This Week’s Coverage
- Davidoff: Announced the return of the Davidoff Robusto Intenso
- Dapper Cigar Company: Announced the Siempre Rosado
- Foundation Cigar Company: Announced the El Güegüense 5 Year Aniversario Collector’s Chest
- MoyaRuiz Cigars: Announced the La Jugada Toro BP and return of The Chinese Finger Trap
- Protocol Cigars: Formally announced details around the Protocol Eliot Ness
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: The Hamlet 2020 is heading to retailers.
- Cigar Aficionado: Announced the cancellation of its Florida and Las Vegas Big Smoke Events due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Cigars International: Announced the cancellation of CIGARFest 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 15.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains 85.
- Crowned Heads Luminosa Robusto
- Macanudo Inspirado Palladium Robusto
- Rocky Patel Cigar Smoking World Championship Mareva
Features and Blog
Prime Time Podcasts
Prime Time Show
Prime Time Special Edition
- No Show This Week
Prime Time Jukebox
- No Show This Week
8/27: Prime Time Episode 153: Andre Farkas, Viaje Cigar Company
8/31: Prime Time Jukebox Episode 17: The Little Richard Tribute Show with Bear Duplisea
9/8: Prime Time Special Edition 83: Nick Perdomo, Perdomo Cigars
On This Date…
On this date Aug 22nd.
- Aug 22, 2010: We did an IPCPR 2010 article called The Odd Couple.
- Aug 22, 2010: We did an IPCPR 2010 article called Shoe Estate.
- Aug 22, 2012: We assessed the Cuenca y Blanco by Joya de Nicaragua.
- Aug 22, 2012: We had a cigar conversation with the ladies of Tres Reynas.
- Aug 22, 2013: We did a feature story on Victor Vitale and Legacy Brands at the 2013 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Aug 22, 2014: We did an Assessment Update on the Raices Cubanas 1941 by Alec Bradley
- Aug 22, 2014: We took a look at Island Jim by Oscar Valladares Tobacco and Co.
- Aug 22, 2015: We published the Cigar Industry Report: Volume 4, Number 39 (8/22/15)
- Aug 22, 2016: We reported on Hoyo La Amistad by General Cigar Company
- Aug 22, 2016: We reported on the La Galera 1936 Box Pressed
- Aug 22, 2016: We reported on the Matilde Serena
- Aug 22, 2017: We published the feature story “Spotlight on RoMa Craft Tobac at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show“
- Aug 22, 2017: We reported on the Patoro Vintage Robusto launch for U.S. Market
- Aug 22, 2018: We published Prime Time Special Edition #37: Quest for the Championship with Jason Lois
- Aug 22, 2018: We reported on the La Flor Dominicana TAA Golden Anniversary
- Aug 22, 2018: We published the feature story “Feature Story: Spotlight at La Palina Cigars at the 2018 IPCPR“
- Aug 22, 2018: We published the feature story “Feature Story: Spotlight on HVC Cigars at the 2018 IPCPR“
- Aug 22, 2018: We reported on the Ambiente by Daniel Marshall “Affordable Luxury” Collection
- Aug 22, 2019: We reported on the AJ Fernandez Días de Gloria heading to Retailers
- Aug 22 2019: We reported on Drew Estate shipping the Undercrown Shade Suprema
- Aug 22, 2019: We published the feature story “Why the PCA Made the Right Decision Postponing CigarCon“
- Aug 22, 2019: We published the feature story “IPCPR 2019 Spotlight: Leaf by Oscar Cigars“