The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 31 Edition 284 (6/23/18)
Feature of the Week: Supreme Court Rules States Can Collect Internet Sales Tax
We covered how this landmark decision could affect the cigar industry.
Feature of the Week: UPS and Teamsters Reach Tentative Agreement
It appears the threat of a potential August 1st UPS Strike has ended. We’ve got the details here.
Feature of the Week: Nicaraguan Violence Escalates
We reported on the ongoing events regarding the Nicaraguan crisis.
News and Previews
- Debonaire: The company is ending its distribution agreement with Drew Estate.
- Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust: Two IPCPR launches were announced. The Sin Compromiso will make its long-awaited debut. The company also announced the Todos Los Dias Thick Lonsdale Mas Fuerte.
- Gran Habano: We reported on two IPCPR launches: the Gran Habano Blue in Green and the Gran Habano Gran Reserva #5 2012.
- LH Cigars: The company announced the LH “Original Black Band” Claro is returning. Company owner Nick Syris also announced line extensions to the Nick & Jim P.B.E.
- Aganorsa Leaf: The company announced the Casa Fernandez Aniversario Perfecto will be an exclusive IPCPR offering.
- Alec Bradley: The company is launching Blind Faith at the 2018 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Black Label Trading Company/Black Works Studio: The company announced the release of the Black Works Studio Sindustry 2018. The company also announced the Black Label Trading Company Ligero Hawaii will be a shop exclusive to R. Field Wine Co.
- Cigar Oasis: The company formally announced it is handling distribution for Ash-Stay products.
- Crowned Heads: The company announced its Four Kicks Maduro Lancero LE 2018 will be available at the 2018 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Cubariqueño Cigar Company: The company announced the launch of the Protocol Themis Lancero.
- Davidoff: Parent company Oettinger Davidoff AG reported its 2017 earnings.
- Joya de Nicaragua: The company announced the Joya de Nicaragua Antaño Gran Reserva Presidente is currently en-route to TAA retailers.
- Nat Sherman: The company announced a major portfolio realignment.
- Quality Importers: Named Les Mann Named Executive Vice President of Sales.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: The company announced the opening of the Burn by Rocky Patel Oklahoma City Lounge.
- Royal Agio Cigars: Three IPCPR announcements were made. First up, the company announced a collaboration with Ernesto Perez-Carrillo Jr. called Dueto. The company also announced a new brand known as San Pedro de Macorís. Finally, the company announced the new Balmoral Añejo XO Connecticut and Balmoral Añejo XO Oscuro lines.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week Rep. Neal Dunn [R-Florida] was added as a co-sponsor. The total number of sponsors is now 145.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 21.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 93.
- FSG Belicoso by Drew Estate
- Gran Habano Persian King Rajah
- La Flor Dominicana Factory Press (2017)
- Macanudo Inspirado Black Robusto (2017 Release)
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
For Episode 57 we did our big 2018 IPCPR Pre-Game Series Show.
Prime Time Special Edition
This week for Special Edition #34 we welcomed Glynn Loope, Executive Director of Cigar Rights of America as our special guest.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 58 (6/21/18): TBA
Episode 59 (7/5/18): Jason Holly, Viva Republica
Prime Time Special Edition
On this date June 23rd
- June 23rd, 2012: We did a pre-release assessment of the Liga Privada Unico Serie UF-13
- June 23rd, 2012: We previewed Outman Cigars’ launches of a retail exclusive by Rocky Patel
- June 23rd, 2012: We did a Cigar Conversation with Rocky Patel.
- June 23rd, 2013: We published Part 3 of our 2013 IPCPR Preview Series, “Spotlight on Five Entities ‘Telling a Story’“
- June 23rd, 2014: We reported on the Espada by Montecristo
- June 23rd, 2014: We reported on Royal Gold Cigars’ Casino Gold H.R.S. “The Whale”
- June 23rd, 2014: We assessed the Bandolero Bravos by Selected Tobacco
- June 23rd, 2014: We reported on three new IPCPR launches by Roberto P. Duran Cigars
- June 23rd, 2014: We reported on the Rocky Patel Edge Howitzer line extensions
- June 23rd, 2015: We reported on the Camacho Liberty 2015
- June 23rd, 2015: We assessed the Room 101 Ichiban Ranfla
- June 23rd 2016: We reported on the Joya de Nicaragua Joya Black
- June 23rd 2016: We assessed the AJ Fernandez Last Call Geniales
- June 23rd 2016: We reported on the Smoke Inn MicroBlend Collection First Edition
- June 23rd 2017: We assessed the Cohiba Macassar Toro Grande
- June 23rd 2017: We published Prime Time Show Episode 11 featuring Claudio Sgroi, Mombacho Cigars
- June 23rd 2017: We reported on the Kristoff TAA Exclusive 49