The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 485 (5/14/22)
Drew Estate and Joya de Nicaragua Unveil 2022 Releases
On the May 12, 2022 edition of Drew Estate’s Freestyle Live, Drew Estate unveiled its Mystery Cigar, the Nica Rustica Adobe. Drew Estate also announced the release of the Liga Privada H99 Phineas Gage Lancero and the return of the Herrera Estelí Lanceros and the Year of the Rat. Meanwhile Joya de Nicaragua announced the Joya de Nicaragua Antano CT Lonsdale and Joya de Nicaragua Numero Uno L’Attache (Corona) line extensions
Klin Groupe Shuts Down Hammer + Sickle
Klin Groupe LLC, owners of the Hammer + Sickle cigar and vodka has announced it is shutting down both brands. David Garofalo, owner of Two Guys Smoke Shop has announced he has acquired the remaining cigar inventory of Hammer + Sickle as well as ownership of the brands, and is acquiring Klin Groupe’s warehouse. We got the details here.
- JRE Tobacco Co: The company announced the Aladino Classic.
- Cavalier Genève: The company has announced a event only cigar.
- La Flor Dominicana: We reported on the 2022 TAA Exclusive Series release, the La Flor Dominicana TAA The Golden Salomon
- West Tampa Tobacco Co: Former General Cigar alumni Rick Rodriguez and Gus Martinez have launched this new company and announced its first two releases, Black and White.
- Perdomo Cigars: The company announced Tor Imports will handle its UK Distribution.
- Eddie Tarazona: The owner of Tarazona Cigars has announced he is running for Congress.
- Habanos SA: Announced its Cohiba 55th Anniversary Gala
- House of Representatives: HR 3982 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors signed on. The total number of sponsors remains at 59.
- U.S. Senate: S.438 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at nine.
- Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust Limited Edition EM Maduro
- Aging Room Rare Collection Scherzo by Boutique Blends Cigars
- Rocky Patel Vintage 2006 San Andreas Bala (2021 TAA Exclusive)
Agile Cigar Reviews
The Smoking Syndicate
Features and Blog
- No Feature Stories Published this week
- None This Week
Prime Time Podcasts
Prime Time Show
Prime Time Special Edition
Prime Time Jukebox
5/17: Prime Time Special Edition 121: Five Year Anniversary Show w/ Pete Johnson & George Brightman
5/19 Prime Time Episode 228: Terence Reilly, Aganorsa Leaf
TBA: Prime Time Jukebox Episode 71: TBD
On This Date…
On this date May 14th…
- May 14, 2011: We assessed the Perdomo Reserve Champagne Noir.
- May 14, 2011: We took a look at planned limited edition release by A.J. Fernandez Cigars, which turned out to be the San Lotano Oval.
- May 14, 2011: We reported on planned events on the eve of the New York City Outdoor Smoking Ban.
- May 14, 2012: We did Assessment Updates on the Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial Limited Edition 2011 and Flor de las Antillas.
- May 14, 2013: We assessed the Saint Luis Rey SLR Gen² by Altadis USA.
- May 14, 2013: We covered General Cigars’ Freshness Packaging.
- May 14, 2014: We assessed the E.P. Carrillo Re+United.
- May 14, 2014: We reported plans for the launch of Jose Blanco’s Las Cumbres Tabaco Senorial line.
- May 14, 2015: We reported on Robbie Streitz being named National Sales Manager at PDR Cigars.
- May 14, 2015: We assessed the Nat Sherman Panamericana Cervantes (TAA Exclusive).
- May 14, 2016: We reported on the Protocol Lancero.
- May 14, 2016: We reported on the Protocol Probable Cause
- May 14, 2016: We reported on the Gran Habano Private Humidor Selection 2007-2008 MLG Corona Gorda
- May 14, 2017: We assessed the Davidoff – The Master Selection 2008
- May 14, 2017: We announced the launch of Prime Time Special Edition
- May 14, 2017: We reported on Sean Williams discussing his new role as Cohiba Ambassador on the Smooth Draws Radio Show
- May 14, 2017: We reported on La Flor Dominicana Exclusivo TAA 49
- May 14, 2017: We reported on the Drew Estate Herrera Esteli TAA Exclusive becoming an ongoing TAA Offering
- May 14, 2017: We reported on the La Palina Bronze Label TAA Exclusive
- May 14, 2018: We assessed the Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Eye of the Shark
- May 14, 2018: We reported on the Crowned Heads Las Calaveras EL 2018
- May 14, 2018: We published Editor’s Corner: Volume 7, Number 6a: Restructuring the Review Format – The Start
- May 14, 2019: We assessed the Crowned Heads Buckeye Land
- May 14, 2019: We reported on the 1502 Blue Sapphire Lancero
- May 14, 2019: We reported Maryland becoming 13th State to raise the tobacco purchase age to 21
- May 14, 2019: We reported on the relaunch of the Emilio AF1 and AF2
- May 7, 2021: We reported on the Villiger Cuellar Black Forest Toro Gordo
- May 7, 2021: We reported on the Premium Cigar Association canceling the 2020 Trade Show
- May 7, 2021: We assessed the Partagas Limited Reserve Decadas 2020