The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 334 (6/15/19)
Feature of the Week: General Cigar to Search for New President
Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG) announced that Régis Broersma, President of General Cigars would be transferring to Europe to become the head of Smoking Tobacco & Accessories Division. STG announced it will search for a new President with Broersma serving until a successor is found.
Feature of the Week: Drew Estate Begins Announcing IPCPR Releases
As it has done the past few years, Drew Estate kicked off its #DEIPCPR coverage with a series of “one a day” announcements.
- Drew Estate Introducing ACID Accents Collection at the 2019 IPCPR
- Drew Estate to Release Gift Sets and Limited Boxes at 2019 IPCPR
- Drew Estate Announces Packaging Changes for Undercrown Dogma
- Drew Estate to Launch Tabak Especial Gordito at 2019 IPCPR
News and Previews
- Alec Bradley: The second project Alec and Bradley Rubin will be the Gatekeeper.
- Aganorsa Leaf: The company will launch the JFR Lunatic Loco at the 2019 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Casa Cuevas Cigars: The company will re-launch its Cuevas Reserva line at the 2019 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Altadis U.S.A.: The company announced H. Upmann Hispaniola by Jose Mendez and the H. Upmann 175th Anniversary will debut at the 2019 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Black Label Trading Company: The Morphine is returning for 2019.
- Crux Cigars: The company announced a comprehensive revamping its branding for its portfolio, including a new logo and packaging.
- Cubariqueño Cigar Company: The company announced Protocol will Launch Official Misconduct Corona Gorda at the 2019 IPCPR Trade Show. In addition the company announced the previous shop exclusive Protocol Themis Corona Gorda would have a national launch at the Trade Show.
- Espinosa Cigars: The company will produce the 14th installment of Smoke Inn’s MicroBlend Series, the 601 La Bomba Bunker Buster FUBAR.
- Foundation Cigar Company: Nicholas Melillo’s company will launch the Tabernacle Havana Seed No. 142 Lancero at the 2019 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Fratello Cigars: The company will launch the Fratello Navetta Inverso Boxer at the 2019 IPCPR Trade Show.
- ITG Brands: Dan Carr is out as CEO and President.
- Joya de Nicaragua: The Joya de Nicaragua Antaño CT will launch at the 2019 IPCPR Trade Show.
- La Aurora Cigars: The company announced the regular production La Aurora 115th Anniversary will be launched at the 2019 IPCPR Trade Show.
- La Barba Cigars: Tony Bellatto’s company will launch the La Barba Ricochet Crü Mexi-Sol at the 2019 IPCPR Trade Show.
- La Flor Dominicana: The company announced the Special Baseball Edition 2019 will be an exclusive cigar to two stores in Omaha, Nebraska.
- Mombacho Cigars SA: The company announced it is opening a warehouse in Germany.
- Room101 Cigars: Announced its 2019 IPCPR Trade Show launches will include: Room101 10th Anniversary, Room101 FARCE Maduro, and Room101 Doomsayer.
- Royal Agio Cigars: CEO Boris Wintermans has teamed up with Litto Gomez of La Flor Dominicana to release the second installment of the Balmoral Serie Signaturas line called Paso Doble. The company also announced the Balmoral Añejo XO Nicaragua. Both cigars will debut at the 2019 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Southern Draw Cigars: The company will add three new sizes to its Cedrus line.
- Ventura Cigar Company: General Manager Michael Giannini has teamed up with his old mentor Ernesto Perez-Carrillo Jr. to produce the Archetype Chapter 3, a two blend series. The series will be launched at the 2019 IPCPR Trade Show.
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 13.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week two new co-sponsors were added: Chris Collins [R-New York] and Frederica Wilson [D-Florida] The total number of sponsors is now at 65.
- FDA: The agency announced a 30-day extension for the comment period on Draft Guidance for Substantial Equivalence
- California: The city of Beverly Hills has become the first to ban most tobacco sales.
- Texas: Governor Greg Abbott has signed a bill raising the tobacco purchase age to 21.
Agile Cigar Review
Prime Time Show
On Episode 99, we had our second installment of our three weeks of “Pre-Game” coverage leading up to the 2019 IPCPR Trade Show with an Industry Panel Show with Special Guests Steve Saka, Skip Martin, and Hector Alfonso Sr.
Prime Time Special Edition
On Special Edition 55, we welcomed Al Micallef of Micallef Cigars as our special guest.
Episode 100 (6/20/19): The Ultimate IPCPR Pre-Game Show
Prime Time Special Edition
On this date June 15th…
- June 15, 2012: We did a pre-release review of the Reinado Grand Empire Reserve
- June 15, 2012: We did an initial preview of the Perdomo 20th Anniversary line.
- June 15, 2013: We published Cigar Week Wrap: Volume 2, Number 22 (6/15/13)
- June 15, 2014: We assessed the Bello Natural by Cuba Tobacco Cigar Company
- June 15, 2014: We published the Feature Story “2014 IPCPR Trade Show Preview Part 1: The Five Boutiques to Watch“
- June 15, 2015: We reported on Smoke In’s plans to re-release the Tatuaje Anarchy
- June 15, 2015: We reported on Fratello Cigars hiring a Brand Manager
- June 15, 2015: We reported on Tatuaje “The W” becoming a shop exclusive for Nice Ash Cigars
- June 15, 2015: We assessed the Flor del Valle Sky Flower by Warped Cigars
- June 15, 2016: We assessed the Crux Guild Toro Extra Marblehead BP
- June 15, 2017: We reported on Ventura Cigar Company acquiring Cuban Cigar Factory Company
- June 15, 2017: We assessed the La Aurora 1903 Cameroon Robusto
- June 15, 2017: We reported Davidoff announcing its 2016 Fiscal Year Results
- June 15, 2018: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the Debonaire Daybreak Toro
- June 15, 2018: We reported on the Gran Habano Gran Reserva #5 2012 launching at 2018 IPCPR
- June 15, 2018: We published Prime Time Episode 56: All-Star Industry Panel Discussion