The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 338 (7/20/19)
Feature of the Week: José Blanco Departs E.P. Carrillo
The legendary José Blanco, who had been serving as a Senior Vice President of E.P. Carrillo is departing the company. We’ve got the details here.
Feature of the Week: Comment Period Concludes Around FDA’s Draft Guidance for Substantial Equivalence
The period opened by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to solicit comments around the Draft Guidance has concluded. Comments have been submitted by various groups including: Cigar Rights of America, Cigar Association of America, the Premium Cigar Association, and a group of six large manufacturers. We will have more details and analysis this week on Cigar Coop.
2019 IPCPR Product Reports:
- A.C.E. Prime Launches Luciano The Traveler at 2019 IPCPR
- A.C.E. Prime Launches M.X.S. at 2019 IPCPR
- Back2Back Limited Edition 2019 Launched at IPCPR
- Booth and Caldwell Launch The T Habano at the 2019 IPCPR
- Cattle Baron Maduro Launched at 2019 IPCPR
- Cavalier Genève LE19 Launched at 2019 IPCPR
- Hiram & Solomon Launch Grand Architect at the 2019 IPCPR
- HVC La Rosa 520 Maduro Introduced at 2019 IPCPR
- Macanudo Heritage Nuevo Launches at 2019
- Macanudo Inspirado Palladium Introduced at 2019 IPCPR
- M Bourbon by Macanudo Debuts at 2019 IPCPR
- Serino Taino Heritage Launched at 2019 IPCPR Trade Show
- Serino Royale Vintage 2012 Showcased at 2019 IPCPR
2019 IPCPR Spotlight
- IPCPR 2019 Spotlight: AVO Cigars
- IPCPR 2019 Spotlight: Camacho Cigars
- IPCPR 2019 Spotlight: Espinosa Premium Cigars
- IPCPR 2019 Spotlight: JRE Tobacco Company
- IPCPR 2019 Spotlight: My Father Cigars
- IPCPR 2019 Spotlight: Recluse Cigar Company
- IPCPR 2019 Spotlight: Room101 Cigars
- Premium Cigar Association: Disclosed the 2019 attendance numbers for the IPCPR Trade Show.
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week Senator Rick Scott [R-Florida] was added as a co-sponsor. The total number of sponsors is now at 15.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week Glenn Thompson [R-Pennsylvania], Rob Estes [R-Kansas] and Kelly Armstrong [R-North Dakota] were added as co-sponsors. The total number of sponsors is now at 76.
- FDA: Maryland Judge Paul Grimm has set the deadline for Substantial Equivalence applications to be May 12, 2020. This is the result of a recent court ruling that a group of health organizations filed challenging the timetable the FDA put in place for Substantial Equivalence – throwing out the August 8, 2021, date set by former FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb. The cigar industry has filed a motion to appeal this ruling.
- New York: The State has raised the tobacco purchase age to 21.
- Ohio: Governor Mike DeWine has signed a budget bill that raises the tobacco purchase age to 21.
Prime Time Show
On Episode 102 of the Prime Time Show, we had Industry Panel #6 as we welcomed Miguel Schoedel and Jack Toraño to the show.
Prime Time Special Edition
This week on Special Edition #56 we had out Special Edition IPCPR Post Game Show
Prime Time Bonus
We published our interview with Francisco Batista, Master Blender for Royal Agio Cigars recorded at the 2019 IPCPR Trade Show
Episode 103 (7/25/19): Juan Martinez, Joya de Nicaragua
Episode 104 (8/1/19): Alan Rubin, Alec Bradley Cigar Company
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition #57 (7/23/19): Desert Rose Show w/ Robert Holt
On this date July 20th…
- July 20, 2012: We assessed the Pinar Del Rio Small Batch Reserve Habano.
- July 20, 2013: We published Cigar Week Wrap: Volume 2, Number 27 (7/20/13)
- July 20, 2013: We previewed Partagas 1845 Line Extensions
- July 20, 2013: We reported on Sindicato Cigar Group plans for a Sindicato Cigar
- July 20, 2013: We previewed the Chinnock Cellars Pressoirl
- July 20, 2013: We reported on the Drew Estate’s Kuba Grande, Blondie Black, Blondie Bold, Blonde Sweet, and Blondie Select
- July 20, 2014: We reported on the Tortuga 215 Reserva Connecticut
- July 20, 2014: We reported on the Oceano by La Sirena
- July 20, 2014: We published our 2014 IPCPR Trade Show Preview Part 7: Around the Show Floor (Third Pass)
- July 20, 2015: We reported on the Illusione Original Documents ~33~
- July 20, 2015: We reported on Ernesto’s Humidor No. 1 Edicion 2015 by E.P. Carrillo
- July 20, 2015: We reported on the 2015 Davidoff Golden Band Award Winners
- July 20, 2016: We reported on LH Premium Cigars Corona, Churchill and Petit Gordo line extensions
- July 20, 2016: We reported on Drew Estate’s Kentucky Fire Cured Swamp Thang and Swamp Rat
- July 20, 2016: We reported on the 1502 Blue Sapphire
- July 20, 2016: We reported on the Recluse Amadeus Rosado
- July 20, 2016: We reported on Southern Draw Cigars’ Statement on FDA Regulations
- July 20, 2017: We reported Senators Rubio and Manchin Push for Premium Cigar Exemption from FDA Regulation
- July 20, 2017: We reported on Black Works Studio New Bands for Green Hornet and Kato
- July 20, 2017: We reported on E.P. Carrillo Elencos returning at the 2017 IPCPR
- July 20, 2017: We published the feature story “Why Rudy Giuliani’s Keynote Address at IPCPR 2017 Missed the Mark“
- July 20, 2018: We reported on Kapp & Peterson Sold with Peterson Pipe Tobacco To STG
- July 20, 2018: We reported on the 1502 XO Torpedo having a full launch at the 2018 IPCPR
- July 20, 2018: We reported on the Viaje Exclusivo and Exclusivo Leaded Short Perfectos being released as Collector’s Edition 2018
- July 20, 2018: We reported on the 2018 Davidoff Golden Band Award winners.