The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 412 (12/19/20)
2020 Cigar of the Year Countdown
Our 2020 Cigar of the Year Countdown started on December 4th and will run through January 4th. During this time we will count down the top 30 cigars of 2020. This week the following cigars were unveiled:
- #22: Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial 10th Anniversary Limited Edition 2019 by My Father Cigars
- #21: Alec Bradley Fine & Rare HOF / 506
- #20: Plasencia Alma del Fuego Candente
- #19: Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real Nicaragua Toro
- #18: Undercrown Maduro Corona Pequeña by Drew Estate
- #17: Micallef A Churchill
- #16: Mi Querida Triqui Traca No. 552 by Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust
The criteria for the 2020 Countdown can be found here.
J.C. Newman Ultimate Giveaway Contest to be Announced December 21, 2020
J.C. Newman has recently made available some J.C. Newman Brick House Culebra Muestra sets to Cigar Coop to use as a contest. Instead of just giving them away individually, we have once again assembled an Ultimate Giveaway! This includes some more fun items from the Cigar Coop Battle of the Bands. This grand prize pack is worth $150.00. The contest is closed and the winners will be announced on December 21 on Cigar Coop.
- Alec Bradley: The Alec Bradley 10 Year Anniversary Fine & Rare Set is heading to retailers.
- Altadis USA: Announced the limited edition Romeo y Julieta Eternal
- JR Cigar: Announced the release of the Romeo y Julieta Devoción as a store exclusive.
- Southern Draw Cigars: Announced the release of a new core line, Manzanita
- United Cigars: The company is releasing Atabey and Byron 25th Anniversary Commemorative Humidor Sets for Corona Cigar Company’s 25th anniversary
- JSK Cigars: Announced the release of the JSK Nuggs Kine Puro Selection Jack Herer
- Protocol Cigars: Announced details on the Protocol Paddy Wagon.
- Tabacalera La Isla: Was announced as factory being opened byHostos Fernandez
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 15.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains 85.
Features and Blog
Prime Time Podcasts
Prime Time Show
Prime Time Special Edition
Prime Time Jukebox
12/19 Prime Time Jukebox Episode 26: In Memoriam 2020
1/5 Prime Time Special Edition 91: The Unauthorized CA Top 25 Pre-Game Show
1/7 Prime Time Episode 169: James Brown, Oveja Negra Brands
On This Date…
On this date December 19th…
- Dec 19, 2010: We unveiled our #12 Cigar of the Year for 2010, the San Lotano Maduro.
- Dec 19, 2011: We unveiled our #19 Cigar of the Year for 2011, the Rocky Patel Fifty.
- Dec 19, 2012: We did a pre-release assessment of the My Uzi Weighs a Ton (MUWAT) Digital Son 6.
- Dec 19, 2012: We unveiled our #12 Cigar of the Year for 2012, the CAO Concert.
- Dec 19, 2013: We unveiled our #12 Cigar of the Year for 2013, the Ezra Zion Eminence.
- Dec 19, 2013: We assessed the El Centurion Toria by My Father Cigars
- Dec 19, 2013: We reported that RoMa Craft Tobac was releasing the Aquitaine Blockhead to Monte’s Pueblo Pipe Shop in Albuquerque, NM
- Dec 19, 2013: We reported on Nat Sherman adding Super Lancero line extensions to Timeless Collection, 1930, and Sterling.
- Dec 19, 2014: We reported on Altadis revamping the Saint Luis Rey line.
- Dec 19, 2014: We reported on Altadis revamping the Gispert line.
- Dec 19, 2014: We unveiled our #12 Cigar of the Year for 2014, the 601 La Bomba Warhead II by Espinosa Cigars,
- Dec 19,2014: We previewed the La Hoja Edicion Clasica Maduro 1962,
- Dec 19, 2014: We previewed the La Hoja Edicion Clasica 1962.
- Dec 19,2014: We reported on the My Father Oro de Nicaragua.
- Dec 19, 2014: We did an Assessment Update on the Viaje Stuffed Turkey White Meat 2014
- Dec 19, 2015: We published the Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 3 (12/12/15)
- Dec 19, 2015: We unveiled our #12 Cigar of the Year for 2015, the 2015 Cigar of the Year Countdown: #12: 1502 Emerald Corona (Part 19 of The Box Worthy 30)
- Dec 19, 2016: We assessed Davidoff Year of the Rooster Limited Edition 2017
- Dec 19, 2016: We reported on Jack Toraño officially joining the General Cigar Team
- Dec 19, 2016: We reported on Craig Reynolds being named to run STG’s new North American Cluster
- Dec 19, 2016: We unveiled our #20 Cigar of the Year for 2016, the Davidoff Scorecard 2016
- Dec 19, 2017: We assessed the Camacho Liberty 2016
- Dec 19, 2017: We unveiled our #30 Cigar of the Year for 2017, the Toraño Vault E-021 Robusto
- Dec 19, 2018: We reported on Crux Cigars’ Epicure, Guild, and Limitada Short Salomone Line Extensions
- Dec 19, 2018: We reported on the passing of Felix Menendez
- Dec 19, 2018: We unveiled our #18 Cigar of the Year, the Crowned Heads Le Carême Belicosos Finos LE 2018
- Dec 19, 2019: We reported on a national minimum tobacco purchase age of 21 being passed by Congress
- Dec 19, 2019: We unveiled our #17 Cigar of the Year, the Southern Draw IGNITE Corojo No. 4 Rothschild