The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 452 (9/25/21)
96 Billion Dollar Tobacco Tax Increase Passes Ways & Means Committee
The proposed 96 billion dollar tobacco tax increase as a part of the Build Back Better Act was passed by the House Ways & Means Committee as introduced. We’ve got the details here.
Ministry of Cigars Forced to Shut Down
Ministry of Cigars, a cigar website dedicated to covering the international cigar market, is being forced to shut down. Ferdinand Piet, owner of Ministry of Cigars, made the announcement earlier today. Piet is based in Singapore and the laws around tobacco legislation are quite strict, and they basically prevent a cigar blog or any media entity from operating there. We’ve got the details here.
Summer of ’21 Reports
We completed our Summer of ’21 Coverage for 2021.
- Summer of ’21 Report: Altadis U.S.A.
- Summer of ’21 Report: Drew Estate
- Summer of ’21 Report: Frontier Cigars / Island Lifestyle Importers
- Summer of ’21 Report: General Cigar Company
- Summer of ’21 Report: Kafie 1901 Cigars
- Summer of ’21 Report: Maya Selva Cigars
- Summer of ’21 Report: RoMa Craft Tobac
- Casa Cuevas Cigars: Announced the rebranding of its Prensado line.
- ATL Cigars: Announced the ATL Magic line.
- Ferio Tego: Announced the return of the Ancora Accessories line and it will be implementing HumidifGroup USA’s Smart Packaging Technology on its boxes.
- Pospiech, Inc: Announced the release of The Bangarang
- ST Dupont: Announced the Slim 7 Black-Checkered and White-Checkered Units
- Southern Draw Cigars: Named Ethan Holt Manager of Inside Sales & Retail Partner Engagement. The company also announced it is seeking outside investors and has plans to expand its sales team.
- House of Representatives: HR 3982 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week John Katko [R-NY] and Dina Titus [D-NV] signed on as a co-sponsors.The total number of sponsors is now at 36.
- U.S. Senate: S.438 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at nine.
- Black Works Studio Hyena Corona Gorda
- CAO Arcana Mortal Coil (Toro)
- CLE 25th Anniversary 11/18 (2020 TAA Exclusive)
Agile Cigar Reviews
- Aladino Vintage Selection Toro by JRE Tobacco Co.
- RoMa Craft Tobac Neanderthal Gran Perfecto
- Southern Draw Rose of Sharon Desert Rose Lonsdale
The Smoking Syndicate
Features and Blog
- None this week outside PCA Reports.
- The Blog: Julio R. Eiroa Wins Cigar Journal Lifetime Achievement Award
- The Blog: Spare Notes Series #6 – Coop Gets More Backlash!
Prime Time Podcasts
Prime Time Show
- No Show This Week
Prime Time Special Edition
- No Show This Week
Prime Time Jukebox
9/28: Prime Time Special Edition 107: Phil Zanghi, Debonaire House
9/30: Prime Time Episode 203: Luis & Alec Cuevas, Casa Cuevas Cigars
10/4: Prime Time Jukebox Episode 51: TBA
On This Date…
On this date Sept 25th…
- Sept 25, 2012: We assessed the Toraño Master Maduro
- Sept 25, 2013: We assessed the A. Flores Gran Reserva by PDR Cigars
- Sept 25, 2013: We reported on the Crémo Capa Caliente
- Sept 25, 2014: We assessed the Viaje Satori 2014 Arya
- Sept 25, 2015: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the RoMa Craft Tobac Neanderthal HN
- Sept 25, 2016: We published the Feature Story, Spotlight on Drew Estate at the 2016 IPCPR Trade Show
- Sept 25, 2016: We assessed the Jas Sum Kral Red Knight Lancero
- Sept 25, 2017: We assessed the Quesada Reserva Privada Barber-Pole Robusto
- Sept 25, 2018: We reported on the Cain Daytona Limitada 7×70
- Sept 25, 2019: We reported on Crowned Heads Court Reserve XVIII Full Court Press
- Sept 25, 2019: We assessed the Davidoff Robusto Real Especiales 7 (2019)
- Sept 25, 2019: We reported on Drew Estate’s Undercrown Dogma headed to retailers
- Sept 25, 2020: We announced the Cigar Coop Email Subscription announcement.
- Sept 25, 2020: We reported on the Viaje Zombie Collector’s Edition 2020
- Sept 25, 2020: We published Summer of ’20 Spotlight: Daniel Marshall