The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 4, Number 36 (Edition 133 8/01/15)
Feature of the Week: Ortega Cigars to be Distributed by Quality Importers
Ortega Cigars has entered into a distribution agreement with Quality Importers, a South Florida company specializing in distribution.While Quality Importers has primarily focused on accessories, they appear to be making a move into premium cigars. In addition, Ortega Cigars has plans to revive a couple of lines from the EO Brands days – namely, the Reo and Vibe lines.
News and Previews from the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show
We continue our reports from the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show:.
- Camacho: The company unveiled tubo offerings for the Camacho Ecuador Robusto and Camacho American Barrel Aged at this year’s trade show.
- CAO: We took a look at the Margaritaville by CAO line, a line inspired by the Jimmy Buffet themed lifestyle brand.
- Ciguardian: The company unveiled a line of retro-themed humidification products.
- CLE Cigar Company: We took a look at three new lines made by Christian Eiroa’s father Julio, Aladino, Tatascan, and Rancho Luna Lines.
- Elogio Cigars: We took at look at the new Elogio Excentrico No 4 Serie Mi Abuelo 2015.
- Foundry Tobacco Company: The Bolivar and Ramon Allones lines are being revamped and put under Foundry Brand.
- H. Upmann: The H. Upmann The Banker Basis Point No. 2 introduces a belicoso vitola into The Banker line.
- Kings Cigars: We previewed the new Knights line.
- Kristoff: We previewed the Kristoff San Andres.
- L’Atelier Imports: We took at look at the Extension de la Racine ER15
- Las Cumbres Tabaco: The packaging for Freyja and Senorial Maduro were unveiled.
- Maya Selva Cigars: The Maya Selva Cigars Launches Flor de Selva No. 20 Limited Edition Lancero, a cigar commemorating the the company;s 20 years in busienss was unveiled. We also took a look at the new packaging for the Cumpay and Flor de Seliva Lines
- Montecristo: We took a look at a cigar commemorating the brand’s 80th anniversary, the Montecristo 80th Anniversary. We also took at look at the new Espada by Montecristo Estoque.
- My Father Cigars: The My Father Flor de las Antillas Toro Grande is now becoming a regular production item.
- Oliva: We took a look at the Cigar News: Oliva Serie V Melanio Gran Reserva 2015 Humidor.
- Regius: The 5 x 48 Regius Seleccion Orchant 2015 Edition Hermoso is the third size of the collaboration done with Mitchell Orchant.
- Room 101 Cigars: We looked at the latest project by Matt Booth’s lifestyle brand in the Davidoff portfolio, the Room 101 Johnny Tobacconaut.
- Torano: The brand under General Cigar launched two new sizes of Torano The Brick and introduced new 20 count box packaging.
- Viaje: The company showed off the Viaje Collaboration 2015 at this year’s trade show.
- Viva Republica: We took a look at the new Viva Republica Advanced Warfare.
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors signed on. The total sponsor remains at 17.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, two new co-sponsors were added – Tom Reed [R-New York] and Dave Brat [R-Virginia]. The total number of sponsors is now 132.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week two new co-sponsors were added – Robert Wittman [R-Virginia] and Randy Forbes [R-Virginia].The total number of sponsors is now 27.
Stogie Geeks Episode 150
This week we celebrated our 150th episode of Stogie Geeks with two of the industry “Gamechangers”. We welcomed Christian Eiroa of CLE Cigar Company and Jonathan Drew of Drew Estate as our special guests. Our Debonaire Ideal covered pairings. The videos will be posted in the near future of this episode.
Our Stogies of the Week included:
AJ. Fernandez Enclave Toro
A.J. Fernandez New World Connecticut Corona Gorda
Casa Fernandez Aganorsa Leaf Maduro Illustre
CLE Connecticut 11/18
Crowned Heads La Imperiosa Magicos
Elogio Excentrico No 4 Serie Mi Abuelo 2015
Padron Family Reserve – 50 Years – Natural
Pura Soul Nicaragua Robusto
Tatuaje Verocu No. 4
Tatuaje Verocu Red Tubo
Viaje White Label Project (WLP) Winter Classic
Warped El Oso MaMa
On this date August 1st…
- August 1st 2011: We previewed the Camacho Liberty 2011
- August 1st 2011: We recapped the month in review for July 2011.
- August 1st 2011: We previewed the Papi Chulo line extension for the Room 101 Conjura Edition.
- August 1st 2012: We took a look at the Perdomo 20th Anniversary line.
- August 1st 2012: We assessed the Illusione Singulare 2011 Vimana.
- August 1st 2012: Our August 2012 Editor’s Corner discussed the 2012 IPCPR Trade Show.
- August 1st 2012: We took a look at what to look for on the show floor in our 2012 IPCPR Preview Series.
- August 1st 2013: We previewed a line never released – the Avo Serenata.
- August 1st 2013: Our August 2013 Editor’s Corner recapped the 2013 IPCPR Trade Show.
- August 1st 2013: We published details on Doc Diaz’s 2013 Crush and Roll West Event.
- August 1st 2013: We previewed the Ortega Wild Bunch 2013 Wild Bill “Cheroot”
- August 1st 2014: We assessed the Tatuaje Tiff (Part of the Pudgy Monsters Series)
- August 1st 2014: We previewed the Villiger Tobajara Maduro.
- August 1st 2014: We previewed the La Aurora Diamond Preferido 6 x 58 Double Figuardo – a shop exclusive for Michael’s Tobacco in Texas.
- August 1st 2014: We looked at the revamping of the Dunhill Signed Range Line.
- August 1st 2014: We previewed the Casa Fernandez Arsenio Serie Oro.
- August 1st 2014: Our August 2013 Editor’s Corner was an IPCPR 2014 postscript.
- August 1st 2014; We reported on Grace Sotolongo’s departure from CLE Cigar Company.