The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 385 (6/13/20)
Ten Years of Cigar Coop
On August 15, 2020, Cigar Coop will mark its ten year anniversary. In the next ten weeks leading up to event, we will publish a ten part series looking back at the history of Cigar Coop. This week we published the first installment
Kaizad Hansotia Resigns as Chairman of Gurkha Cigars Following Racially Insensitive Comments
Following a firestorm that resulted from what Gurkha is calling racist comments on Gurkha Cigars’ Chairman Kaizad Hansotia’s Facebook account, the company announced the resignation of Hansotia as Chairman of Gurkha effective immediately. Jim Colucci will now assume the role of CEO and President of the Company. Hansotia will also divest his ownership of the company. We got the details here.
Summer of ’20 Coverage
We will be replacing our normal IPCPR/PCA Pre-Game Coverage with “Summer of ’20 Coverage.” This will focus on the releases many cigar companies plan to release this summer. We have the details here.
- Drew Estate: The company has continued announcing its summer releases. This week the company announced:
- Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust: Announced the Sobremesa Brûlée STFU!!! Sampler
- Crowned Heads: Announced the Las Calaveras EL 2020 Slated will ship in July
- Fratello: The company is shipping its Fratello Camo Series
- Joya de Nicaragua: The company announced the Cinco Décadas El Doctor
- JSK Cigars: The company is releasing its F**k the FDA.
- Padilla: The company has re-released the Padilla Miami 8 & 11.
- Protocol Cigars: The company announced the Protocol John Doe 2.0
- Casa de Montecristo: The Texas Cigar Festival and Smokin in the Carolinas events have been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 15.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains 85.
- Undercrown ShadyXX by Drew Estate
- Asylum Pandemonium 52 x 8 1/2
- E.P. Carrillo INCH Limited Edition 2019
- Joya de Nicaragua Numero Uno L’Ambassadeur
Features and Blog
- The 4 Most Common Ways to Light Your Cigar by Nick Perdomo
- La Palina, Room101, Rocky Patel and Oliva Team Up for Cigar Lockdown II for June 18
Prime Time Podcasts
Prime Time Show
Prime Time Special Edition
- No Show This Week
Prime Time Jukebox
6/18: Prime Time Episode 143: Manuel Inoa, La Aurora Cigars
6/22: Prime Time Jukebox Episode 12: The Battle of the Bands Championship Pre-Game Show
6/23 Prime Time Special Edition 78: David Garofalo
On This Date…
On this date June 13
- Jun 13, 2011: We did a pre-release assessment of the A.Turrent Triple Corojo.
- Jun 13, 2011: We previewed the Torano Loyal and Torano Vault.
- Jun 13, 2011: We posted a video of Ron Melendi touring New York State to protect the the rights of professional tobacconists.
- Jun 13, 2012: We previewed the My Father Le Bijou 1922 Ecuadorian Connecticut Federal Cigar Edition.
- Jun 13, 2012: We assessed the Tatuaje Mexican Experiment.
- Jun 13, 2013: We assessed the Viaje Zombie Super Shot (2013).
- Jun 13, 2013: We reposted a press release on the 2013 Chattanooga Tweet-Up and Cigar Festival
- Jun 13, 2014: We previewed the Davidoff Nicaragua Diadema Fina and and Primeros Line Extensions.
- Jun 13, 2014: We previewed Villiger’s planned line extensions of Cabarete Maduro and Trill Lines.
- Jun 13, 2014: We did a pre-release assessment of the Reinado Grand Empire Reserve Ecuador Edition Petite Lancero
- Jun 13, 2014: We reported on the launch of Rob Weiss’ BG Meyer Co brand under the Camacho umbrella.
- Jun 13, 2015: We published Cigar Industry Report: Volume 4, Number 29 (6/13/15)
- Jun 13, 2015: We assessed the Credo Special T Cutter
- Jun 13, 2015: We reported on the a special edition of the A.J. Fernandez New World for Zander-Greg’s 20th anniversary.
- Jun 13, 2016: We reported on the Las Cumbres Tabaco Señorial Maduro and Freyja Box-Press
- Jun 13, 2016: We reported on Duran Cigars’ Azan Blue Connecticut
- Jun 13, 2016: We assessed the La Palina Family Series Miami Pasha
- Jun 13, 2017: We assessed the Mombacho 10th Anniversary Magnifico
- Jun 13, 2017 We reported on a the return of the L’Atelier Côte d’Or
- Jun 13, 2017: We reported on the Foundation Cigar Company Collector’s Humidor
- Jun 13, 2018: We reported on the Catholic Bishops plans to mediate a new round of talks with the Nicaraguan Government
- Jun 13, 2018: We reported on plans for a national labor strike in Nicaragua.
- Jun 13, 2018: We assessed the RoMa Craft Tobac CRAFT 2018
- Jun 13, 2018: We reported on the launch of the Illusione OneOff
- Jun 13, 2018: We reported on the Davidoff Diademas Finas 50th Anniversary
- Jun 13, 2018: We reported on new packaging for Aganorsa Leaf’s Buena Cosecha
- Jun 13, 2018: We reported on the 2018 release of Drew Estate’s Flying Pigs.
- Jun 13, 2019: We reported on Ventura Cigar Company’s Archetype Chapter 3
- Jun 13, 2019: We reported on Royal Agio Cigars’ Balmoral Serie Signaturas Paso Doble
- Jun 13, 2019: We reported on Drew Estate’s Tabak Especial Gordito
- Jun 13, 2019: We reported on the H. Upmann 175th Anniversary
- Jun 13, 2019: We reported on the Casa Cuevas Cuevas Reserva line.