The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 411 (12/12/20)
2020 Cigar of the Year Countdown
Our 2020 Cigar of the Year Countdown started on December 4th and will run through January 4th. During this time we will countdown the top 30 cigars of 2020. This week the following cigars were unveiled:
- #29: Cuevas Reserva Natural Robusto by Casa Cuevas Cigars
- #28: Joya de Nicaragua Cinco Décadas Diadema
- #27: Villiger Cuellar Black Forest Toro Gordo
- #26: La Gloria Cubana Spanish Press Robusto
- #25: Rocky Patel Cigar Smoking World Championship Mareva
- #24: Saga Solaz Churchill by De Los Reyes Cigars
- #23: Pichardo Reserva Familiar Habano Toro by ACE Prime
The criteria for the 2020 Countdown can be found here.
J.C. Newman Ultimate Giveaway Contest
J.C. Newman has recently made available some J.C. Newman Brick House Culebra Muestra sets to Cigar Coop to use as a contest. Instead of just giving them away individually, we have once again assembled an Ultimate Giveaway! This includes some more fun items from the Cigar Coop Battle of the Bands. This prize pack is worth $150.00. The contest closes at 11:59PM on 12/12/20. You can see the details here.
- ADventura Cigars: The company is bringing back the ADVentura The Conqueror Emperor’s Edition for 2020.
- Alec Bradley: The Alec & Bradley Kintsugi is heading to retailers.
- Davidoff: The Davidoff White Edition 2012 has been re-released as a part of the Vault Series.
- JRE Tobacco: The company is releasing the Aladino Cameroon Lancero. It will be an exclusive at Blue Smoke of Dallas until the TPE Trade Show in 2021.
- Blanco Cigar Company: The company is launching the Prince Hall Cigars line.
- La Flor Dominicana: The company is launching the Litto Gomez Mustache in Miami.
- Oveja Negra Brands: The Black Label Trading Company Morphine is returning for its 2020 release.
- Federal: President-elect Joe Biden is nominating Xavier Becerra to head up the Department of Health and Human Services
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 15.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains 85.
- Cuesta-Rey Centro Fino Sungrown No. 60 by J.C. Newman Cigar Co.
- Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust Polpetta
- Lavida Habana LE by LH Premium Cigars
Features and Blog
- The Blog: KMA Talk Radio Episode 400 – Jonathan Drew, Drew Estate
- The Blog: KMA Talk Radio Episode 401 – Ian Reith, Dapper Cigar Company
- The Blog: Will Cooper Guests on Cigar Journal’s Light ’em Up World Lounge
- The Blog: Will Cooper Guests on Micallef Ambassadors Program
- The Blog: What Flavors Can You Expect To Taste In A Premium Cigar? by Nick Perdomo
Prime Time Podcasts
Prime Time Show
Prime Time Special Edition
- Prime Time Special Edition 89: Montecristo 1935 Anniversary Nicaragua Launch & Davidoff Mt. Rushmore
Prime Time Jukebox
- No Show This Week
12/14 Prime Time Jukebox Episode 25: The Christmas Music 2020 Episode
12/15 Prime Time Special Edition 90: Liana Fuente, Arturo Fuente
12/17 Prime Time Episode 168: Omar Fernandez, AJ Fernandez Cigars
On This Date…
On this date December 12th…
- Dec 12, 2010: We unveiled our #19 Cigar of the Year for 2010, the Oliveros Swag.
- Dec 12, 2011: We unveiled our #19 Cigar of the Year for 2011, the Casa Magna Domus Magnus.
- Dec 12, 2012: We assessed the Viaje WLP Stuffed Turkey 2012 White Meat.
- Dec 12, 2012: We unveiled our #19 Cigar of the Year for 2012, the Tatuaje Cojonu 2012 Habano.
- Dec 12, 2013: We unveiled our #19 Cigar of the Year for 2013, the 7-20-4 Hustler.
- Dec 12, 2013: We reported on the Quesada Seleccion Espana Ninfa.
- Dec 12, 2013: We assessed the Tatuaje Avion 13 Reserva.
- Dec 12, 2013: We reported on Torano Family Cigars’ initial plans to re-package “The Brick” .
- Dec 12, 2014: We reported on the plans to revamp the AVO Cigars portfolio.
- Dec 12, 2014: We unveiled our #19 Cigar of the Year for 2014, the J. Grotto Anniversary by Ocean State Cigars.
- Dec 12, 2014: We did an Assessment Update on the Padron Family Reserve No. 85 Maduro
- Dec 12, 2015: We published the Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 3 (12/12/15)
- Dec 12, 2015: We unveiled our #19 Cigar of the Year for 2015, the Recluse Amadeus Habano Reserva Toro
- Dec 12, 2016: We assessed Ernesto’s Humidor No. 1 Edición Maduro 2015 by E.P. Carrillo
- Dec 12, 2016: We reported on the Villiger 1888 launch for the U.S.
- Dec 12, 2016: We unveiled our #27 Cigar of the Year for 2016, the Regius Exclusivo U.S.A. Oscuro Especial Robusto
- Dec 12, 2017: We assessed the Cohiba Blue Robusto
- Dec 12, 2018: We reported on the PDR AR Cigar Collective
- Dec 12, 2018: We reported on Lisa Cox being named Senior Director of IPCPR Trade Show & Events
- Dec 12, 2018: We unveiled our #25 Cigar of the Year, the Montecristo Ciudad de Musica Robusto
- Dec 12, 2019: We reported on Dr. Stephen Hahn being confirmed as FDA Commissioner
- Dec 12, 2019: We reported on the Davidoff of Geneva USA 25th Anniversary returning as a Vault Series Release
- Dec 12, 2019: We unveiled our #24 Cigar of the Year, the Davidoff Florida Selection Limited Edition 2018