The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 39 Edition 292 (8/25/18)
Feature of the Week
Sam Morales, Drew Estate’s Marketing Director has resigned from the company. He will assist the company in the transition period as he departs the company. Drew Estate has begun the search for a new Marketing Director. We’ve got the details here.
We continued our IPCPR Spotlight Series:
- Spotlight on Boutique Blends at the 2018 IPCPR
- Spotlight on Dapper Cigar Company at the 2018 IPCPR
- Spotlight on Espinosa Premium Cigars and Pier 28 Premium Cigars at the 2018 IPCPR
- Spotlight on Gran Habano Cigars at the 2018 IPCPR
- Spotlight on HVC Cigars at the 2018 IPCPR
- Spotlight on Island Lifestyle Importers at the 2018 IPCPR
- Spotlight on Joya de Nicaragua at the 2018 IPCPR
- Spotlight at La Palina Cigars at the 2018 IPCPR
- Spotlight on Mombacho Cigars and Patina Cigars at the 2018 IPCPR
- Spotlight on Nomad Cigar Company at the 2018 IPCPR
- Spotlight on Recluse Cigar Company at the 2018 IPCPR
- Spotlight on Rocky Patel Premium Cigars at the 2018 IPCPR
- Spotlight on Room 101 Cigars at the 2018 IPCPR Trade Show
- Spotlight on Serino Cigar Company at the 2018 IPCPR
We also filed the following reports. We may have a couple of more of these reports, but we pretty much brought it to a close this week
- Daniel Marshall: The company launched its Ambiente by Daniel Marshall “Affordable Luxury” Collection.
- Arturo Fuente: The company launched the Fuente Fuente OpusX PerfecXion 888.
- Espinosa: The company launched Las 6 Provincias LHB and the Erik Espinosa 20th Anniversary. In addition, the Espinosa 601 La Bomba Warhead IV was also showcased.
- Room 101 Cigars: The Hit & Run Part Deux (Rip & Dip), a collaboration with Robert Caldwell was launched.
- S.T. Dupont: The company launched the CLimited Edition 007 Collection. In addition, the Fire Head Under Lacquer Collection was showcased.
- Ventura Cigar Company; The company launched Case Study CS/13
- Cigar Rights of America; The company is celebrating its 10th anniversary with new memberships or renewals for one year at just ten dollars.
- Cubariqueño Cigar Comany: The company will release the Protocol Themis Corona Gorda as a single store exclusive to Famous Smoke Shop
- Fratello Cigars: The company will release the Fratello Oro Churchill as a single store shop Exclusive to Leesburg Cigar and Pipe
- La Flor Dominicana: The La Flor Dominicana TAA Golden Anniversary, a cigar made for the Tobacconist Association of America’s Exclusive series has begun to surface in stores.
- Puro Sabor: The 2019 Festival is postponed. No reasons were cited, but it strongly is suspected it is because of the civil unrest in Nicaragua.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 145.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 22.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 94.
- Illinois: Governor Bruce Rauner vetoed Senate Bill 2332 that would have raised the tobacco purchase age to 21.
Prime Time Show
For Episode 64, Justo Eiroa of JRE Tobacco Company was our special guest as we broadcasted live from Tailored Smoke in Charlotte, NC. In our Debonaire Ideal segment we talked horses. Finally, in our Deliberation Segment, we discussed the lower end of the cigar scoring scale.
Prime Time Special Edition
On Special Edition #37. we welcomed Jason Lois, who is competing in the Cigar World Smoking Championships next week in Croatia. We got insight into the event and talked some industry talk with Jason.
Episode 64 (8/23/18): Justo Eiroa, JRE Tobacco Co.
Episode 65 (8/30/18): No Show
Episode 66 (9/6/18): Hand-Rolled
Episode 67 (9/13/18) Terence Reilly, Aganorsa Leaf
Episode 68 (9/20/18): To Be Announced – Guest Confirmed
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition 38 (8/28/18), Scott Pearce, IPCPR
Special Edition 39 (9/11/18): Dr. Gaby Kafie, Kafie 1901 Cigars
On this date August 25th
- August 25th 2010: We published an installment of “Tales from the IPCPR – Booth in a booth – A Visit to the Camacho/Room 101 Lounge“
- August 25th 2010: We reported on Mayor Richard Crotty’s Smoking Ban in Orlando, Florida.
- August 25th 2011: We assessed the La Flor Dominicana Colorado Oscuro No 5
- August 25th 2012: We posted a Cigar Conversation with Brian Chinnock of Chinnock Cellars
- August 25th 2013: We assessed the Viaje Summerfest 2013
- August 25th 2013: We posted a feature story on “The Football Cigar“
- August 25th 2014: We reported on Joya de Nicaragua moving distribution to Canada by House of Horvath
- August 25th 2014: We reported the Cigar Media Association rounding out its Board of Directors
- August 25th, 2014: We reported on Drew Estate launching the “Tienda Exclusiva by Willy Herrera” to Barrister Cigars
- August 25th, 2014: We assessed Crowned Heads – The Angel’s Anvil TAA Exclusive 2014
- August 25th, 2015: We reported on Gene Tipton joining Sindicato Cigars
- August 25th, 2015: We reported on the launch of Indian Motorcycle Ultra Premium Cigars at Twins Smoke Shop in New Hampshire
- August 25th, 2015: We assessed the Montecristo White Vintage Connecticut Double Corona
- August 25th 2015: We reported on the AVO Quartet 2015
- August 25th 2015: We reported on RoMa Craft Tobac Neanderthal OM becoming a Stogies World Class H-Town Exclusive
- August 25th 2016: We reported on the launch of the J.C. Newman’s Perla del Mar Maduro at the 2016 IPCPR
- August 25th 2016: We reported on the Catelli Boxare launching at 2016 IPCPR Trade Show
- August 25th 2016: We reported on new Toraño Vault offerings showcased at 2016 IPCPR
- August 25th 2017: We published the feature story “Spotlight on Ventura Cigar Company at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show“
- August 25th 2017: We reported on the Regius Sun Grown showcased at 2017 IPCPR
- August 25th 2017: We reported on the launch of the La Aurora Reserva Especial 2008 at the 2017 IPCPR
- August 25th 2017: We reported on Fabrica Oveja Negra plans to move to into a larger facility.
- August 25th 2017: We published Prime Time Show Episode 18: featuring Robert Holt of Southern Draw Cigars
- August 25th 2017: We reported on the worldwide launch of John Drew Brands at Binny’s Beverage Depot