The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 451 (9/18/21)
Swedish Match Announces Intent to Leave Cigar Business.
Swedish Match has announced it is exiting the cigar business. The company has announced it intends to separate its cigar business into a spin-off company and completely get out of the business of manufacturing combustible tobacco products. The move is expected to be completed by the second half of 2022 as it will require various regulatory approvals.The move includes brands such as Garcia y Vega, White Owl, and Game.
We’ve got the details here.
96 Billion Dollar Tobacco Tax Increase Proposed in Congress
Over the past couple of weeks, various committees in the House of Representatives have been marking up a huge bill known as the Build Back Better Act. This is a human infrastructure plan that includes parts of President Biden’s American Jobs Plan and American Families Plan. One committee that is doing markups is the House Ways & Means Committee which is looking at various revenue sources to fund this bill. One thing that the committee has put into the bill was a $96 billion dollar tobacco tax increase that would most likely affect premium cigars.
We’ve got the details here.
Summer of ’21 Reports
These are focused on companies that did not attend the 2021 Trade Show, but still had summer releases.
- Summer of ’21 Report: Boutique Blends Cigars
- Summer of ’21 Report: Davidoff of Geneva
- Summer of ’21 Report: Forged Cigar Company
- Summer of ’21 Report: Foundation Cigar Company
- Summer of ’21 Report: LH Cigars
- Summer of ’21 Report: Southern Draw Cigars
- Summer of ’21 Report: Vintage Rock-A-Feller Cigar Group
- Drew Estate: Announced the Deadwood Tobacco Leather Rose Petite Corona and the 2021 edition of the Liga Privada Unico Serie Pancetta
- JR Cigar: The Oliva Serie V Melanio JR 50th wil be the next installment in the JR Cigar 50th anniversary series
- Ferio Tego: Announced Timeless Sterling and Timeless Prestige are heading to retailers
- Forged Cigar Company: The La Gloria Cubana Criollo de Oro will be a new limited edition release slated for October
- Mombacho Cigars SA: Announced Botucal by Mombacho as a German market exclusive
- Oveja Negra Brands: Announced the Black Label Trading Company Araposa shop exclusive
- El Artista: Announced it will now be adding distribution in Sweden
- House of Representatives: HR 3982 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week Don Young [R-AK] and Kurt Schreader [D-OR] signed on as a co-sponsors.The total number of sponsors is now at 34.
- U.S. Senate: S.438 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at nine.
Agile Cigar Reviews
- Aladino Vintage Selection Toro by JRE Tobacco Co.
- RoMa Craft Tobac Neanderthal Gran Perfecto
- Southern Draw Rose of Sharon Desert Rose Lonsdale
The Smoking Syndicate
Features and Blog
- None this week outside PCA Reports.
Prime Time Podcasts
Prime Time Show
Prime Time Special Edition
Prime Time Jukebox
9/20: Prime Time Jukebox Episode 50: The Year in Music 1971 – 50 Years Later
9/28: Prime Time Special Edition 107: Phil Zanghi, Debonaire House
9/30: Prime Time Episode 203: TBA
On This Date…
On this date Sept 18th…
- Sept 18, 2011: We assessed the Viaje TNT 2011
- Sept 18, 2012: We did a Pre-Review on the E.P. Carrillo Cardinal Natural
- Sept 18, 2013: We reported on the Camacho Ditka 89 Edition
- Sept 18, 2013: We did a Pre-Review on the Quesada Oktoberfest Dunkel
- Sept 18, 2014: We assessed the Regius of London Claro Especial Exclusivo U.S.A Pressed Perfecto
- Sept 18, 2014: We published the Feature Story, Analyzing General Cigar Company’s Acquisition of Leccia Tobacco (Editorial)
- Sept 18, 2014: We reported on the Black Label Trading Company Deliverance
- Sept 18, 2015: We reported on La Zona’s Renzulli
- Sept 18, 2015: We did an Agile Cigar Review of the Tatuaje Avion 13 FF
- Sept 18, 2015: We reported on Drew Estate planning a Shady Southpaw for 2016
- Sept 18, 2016: We reported on the Illusione ~eccj~ becoming a regular production offering
- Sept 18, 2016: We assessed the PDR Nicaraguan Reserve Toro
- Sept 18, 2016: We reported on Illusione Ultra line extensions
- Sept 18, 2017: We reported on Maria Sierra retiring from El Titan de Bronze
- Sept 18, 2017: We assessed the Viaje Skull and Bones Daisy Cutter Edición Limitada
- Sept 18, 2018: We assessed the AVO Maduro No. 2 (30th Anniversary)
- Sept 18, 2018: We reported on the La Barba Primitivo being renamed to La Barba Ricochet
- Sept 18, 2018: We reported on the Crowned Heads Buckeye Land Cigar
- Sept 18, 2018: We reported on the release of Island Lifestyle Importers’ Island Club Cigars
- Sept 18, 2018: We reported on Royal Agio plans to distribute La Flor Dominicana in Germany and the Netherlands
- Sept 18, 2019: We assessed the La Aurora 115th Anniversary Limited Edition Belicoso
- Sept 18, 2020: We reported on the Liga Privada Unico Serie Pancetta returning for the 2020 Release
- Sept 18, 2020: We reported on Micallef Cigars ending its relationship with Cigars International and Thompson Cigar
- Sept 18, 2020: We reported on Veritas Cigars naming Jason Lois CEO
- Sept 18, 2020: We published The Blog: 3000 (our 3000th consecutive day of publishing original content)