The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 4, Number 34 (Edition 131 7/18/15)
Feature of the Week: 83rd Annual IPCPR Annual Convention and Intl Trade Show Opens
The Trade Show officially opens today. Stay tuned to Cigar Coop for continuing coverage.
2015 IPCPR Preview Series
We wrapped up our IPCPR Preview Series:
- Part 3: Around the Show Floor (First Pass)
- Part 4: Predictions for the Five Hottest Cigars
- Part 5: Around the Show Floor (Second Pass)
News and Previews
- A.J. Fernandez Cigars: The company will launch its latest brand – the Enclave at the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Alec Bradley: We reported on the new Alec Bradley Nica Puro Rosado and Alec Bradley Tempus Nicaragua. We anticipate these cigars to be showcased at the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Ashton: The company will unveil the new San Cristobal Ovation at the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Asylum Cigars: We took a short preview of the new Asylum 33 line scheduled to debut at IPCPR.
- CAO: Rick Rodriguez unveiled details on Cigar Chat of an off-shoot of the Flathead line called Flathead Steelhorse. The cigar will debut at IPCPR.
- CLE Cigars: The Eiroa brand will debut Eiroa – The First 20 Years
- Crux Cigar Company: The company announced the third of three planned launches at the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show – the Crux Limitada PB5.
- Cubanacan: The company will have a national launch of its Mederos brand of cigars. The blends of the Cubanacan line will receive a Toro line extension. The company also addressed the departure of Hiroshi Robaina, the future of the HR Brand, and its current factory situation.
- Cubariqueno Cigar Company : The company will showcase its Protocol offering at the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Drew Estate: The company made various announcement prior to the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show. This includes a a new Connecticut Shade line in its Undercrown Brand, the Undercrown Shade. The Norteno line will see a limited edition line extension called the Herrera Esteli Norteno Edicion Limitada Churchill. There are also new packaging options for the Norteno. In addition, the base Herrera Esteli line will see a new 6 x 52 Toro in a Tubo format. There also was a second line extension announced for Nica Rustica in the form of a Short Robusto. Finally, the company announced the a (larger) batch of Ratzilla will be made available to its preferred retailers.
- Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust: We took an in-depth look at Steve Saka’s new Sobremesa. We also learned of three additional vitolas planned for this line.
- E.P. Carrillo: The company will launch its latest line, the E.P. Carrillo Seleccion Oscuro at the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Fratello Cigars: We took a look at the company’s new tray packaging that will be launched at the IPCPR Trade Show.
- General Cigar Company: Announced the discontinuation of the La Gloria Cubana Artesanos de Tabaqueros, Artesanos de Miami, and Retro Especiale lines.
- Gurkha: More details on the $2,000.00 Gurkha Maharaja.
- Klin Tobacco: The parent company of Hammer + Sickle will launch a new brand called The Caleanoch – featuring peat fired tobacco.
- Kopi Luwak Cigars: The infused cigar made at Tabacalera Palma is returning.
- La Aurora: We reported on the new Untamed Exteme line being planned for launch at the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show.
- La Flor Dominicana: We covered news on the La Flor Dominicana La Nox, La Flor Dominicana Salomon Especial, La Flor Dominicana Air Bender Maduro, and the return of La Flor Dominicana Coronado.
- Master Blends Cigar Company: We took a look at the three blends in the Manolo Estate Cuban Heritage line.
- Miami Cigar and Company: The new Coffee Break by Tatiana will be introduced at the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Tierra Volcan: The Grenada based cigar brand has announced a partnership with artist Todd White who will create art for a project called limited release ArtBox.
- Viaje: We previewed the new Viaje Skull and Bones Ten Ton Tess offering.
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors signed on. The total sponsor remains at 17.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, one new co-sponsorr was added.: Devin Nunes [R-California] has signed on. The total number of sponsors is 129.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week one new co-sponsor signed was added (Bill Flores[R-Texas]).The total number of sponsors is now 24
This week we had no episode of Stogie Geeks broadcast. We will return on 7/23/15 with Episode 149.
On this date July 18th…
- July 18th 2011: We assessed the Sublimes cigar.
- July 18th 2012: We previewed the Swag SoBe Edition by Boutique Blends Cigars
- July 18th 2012: We did a pre-release assessment of the Iconic Leaf Recluse OTG
- July 18th 2012: We previewed the Nat Sherman Timeless Collection (Nicaraguan) and line extensions for MATASA (Dominican) edition.
- July 18th 2012: We reported on Charlotte NC / Mecklenburg County considering smoking ban in parks
- July 18th 2012: We did a pre-release assessment of the E.P. Carrillo Inch Natural
- July 18th 2013: We previewed the debut of Drew Estate Classics Pipe Tobacco at the 2013 IPCPR Trade Show
- July 18th 2013: We previewed the Kristoff Galerones DR4
- July 18th 2013: We previewed the E.P. Carrillo Edicion Limitada 2013.
- July 18th 2013: We previewed the Montecristo Connoisseur Edition Collection.
- July 18th 2013: We previewed General Cigar’s 2013 IPCPR Releases.
- July 18th 2013: We did an Assessment Update on the Swag SoBE Edition by Boutique Blends.
- July 18th 2014: We previewed the Drew Estate Pipe Collection by Tsuge
- July 18th 2014: We reported on details of the Nomad C-276.
- July 18th 2014: We previewed the Drew Estate’s Tsuge “The Four Seasons” and Tsuge “The God Series” Pipe Tobacco lines.
- July 18th 2014: We previewed the Drew Estate Acid Blondie Maduro.
- July 18th 2014: We previewed the Chinnock Cellars Cremoir.
- July 18th 2014: In our IPCPR Preview Series, we unveiled our predictions for the five hottest cigars at IPCPR.
- July 18th 2014: We reported the Drew Estate’s MUWAT Kentucky Fire Cured line extensions.
- July 18th 2014: We assessed the Regius Seleccion Orchant 2014 – Robusto
- July 18th 2014: We reported on Drew Estate’s MUWAT Night Crawler line extension and new packaging changes to MUWAT.
- July 18th 2014: We previewed the Rocky Patel Decade Cameroon.
- July 18th 2014: We previewed Tatuaje ‘s Jekyll and Hyde Monster releases for 2014 and 2015.
- July 18th 2014: We previewed the Roberto Duran Baracoa.