The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 34 (Edition 183 7/16/16)
Feature of the Week: Perdomo Holds Prices, Will Continue to Absorb SCHIP
While there have been several premium cigar manufacturers who have announced price increases announced over the past few weeks, Perdomo Cigars will not be one of them. Company President Nick Perdomo informed Cigar Coop that Perdomo Cigars will not have any price increases at this year’s IPCPR Trade Show and will continue to absorb the SCHIP tax for all pre-predicate date products being showcased at the Trade Show.
FDA News: Trade Organizations File Litigation Against U.S. Food and Administaration
The long awaited litigation filed by the there major trade organizations against the FDA has finally taken place. We got the details on the CAA, CRA, and IPCPR lawsuit against the FDA means.
On Going Coverage
IPCPR Pre-Game Series Part 1
News and Previews
- Boveda / Xikar: Boveda and Xikar have entered into a long term agreement with XIKAR, Inc by which Boveda will supply XIKAR with Xikar branded custom printed 2-way humidity control products.
- Debonaire: At the 2016 IPCPR, the company will add a Corona line extension to the Debonaire Habano and Debonaire Maduro lines.
- Dunbarton Tobacco and Trust: This year the 2016 IPCPR, Sobremesa will see two line extensions – Elegante En Cedro and Short Churchill
- Drew Estate: Famous Cigar Shop will be the recipient of the Drew Estate Olde Penn line.
- A.J. Fernandez Cigars: The new A.J. Fernandez Bellas Artes to be Showcased at 2016 IPCPR. In addition, the company will unveil the Last Call Maduro.
- Chinnock Cellars Cigars: The Chinnock Cellars XOXO is being rebranded the Chinnock Cellars T.L.P.
- Crux Cigar Company: A the 2016 IPCPR Trade Show, the company will introduce its new Connecticut Shade offering, Crux Epicure. In addition the second installment of the Crux Limitada series, the Crux Limitada Show Exclusive 2016 will be unveiled. Finally, the company will release a five blend sampler of Ninfa vitolas to Stogies World Class Cigars in Houston called the Crux Ninfamaniac Collection.
- D’Crossier Cigars: At the 2016 IPCPR Trade Show, the Flor de D’Crossier line will see two new additions in the Flor de D’Crossier Cabinet Selection No.1 and the Flor de D’Crossier Enormous 360.
- E.P. Carrillo: The company will unveil the E.P. Carrillo Encore as a part of a new E.P. Carrillo Family Series line.
- Espinosa Cigars: For the 2016 IPCPR, the company will unveil Alpha Dawg – which will be a regular production line. The company will also add the Espinosa Habano Box Pressed Toro line extension. Finally, there will also be a 601 La Bomba Warhead 3.
- Foundation Cigar Company: Nick Melilla’s company will unveil a new line at the 2016 IPCPR called The Tabernacle.
- Fratello Cigars: At the 2016 IPCPR, the company will unveil a Dominican made Connecticut Shade offering called Fratello Oro.
- Guaimaro: This will be a new line by Nica Sueno factory co-owner Esteban Disla.
- Gurkha: The company announced five projects for this year’s IPCPR which include: Cellar Reserve 21 Year, Pan American, Jubilee, Heritage Maduro, and line extensions to Ghost.
- Jordan Alexander III Cigars: Announced the new JA3 Anthracite.
- Kuuts LLC: Industry veteran Steven Ysidron is the company’s new CEO and will unveil a revamped 8 line portfolio at this year’s IPCPR.
- MoyaRuiz Cigars: The company announced Civil Disobedience will go from an event only cigar to regular production.
- Ohana Cigars: The company announced the new Ohana Pulse line.
- RoMa Craft Tobac: The company announced RoMa Craft Tobac Neanderthal SGP will become a regular production offering.
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 21.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week no new co-sponsored were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 166.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week three new co-sponsors were added: Mick Mulvaney [R-South Carolina], Tom Clintock [R-California], and Todd Young [R-Indiana]. The total number of sponsors is now 72.
- New Jersey: For a second time, Governor Chris Christie has vetoed a beach smoking ban.
- Pennsylvania: The State Budget which includes a tobacco tax increase was approved, but cigars were not a part of that increase.
Agile Cigar Reviews
This week Rene Castaneda, new President of Villiger North America joined us. We also welcomed back Brian Chinnock of Chinnock Cellars Cigars. Our Debonaire Ideal segment was on Retrohaling, plus we had our Stogies of the Week that included:
- Camacho Powerband Toro
- Gurkha Cellar Reserva Solara
- L’Atelier Côte d’Or La Tache
- La Aurora Preferido Lancero
- La Duena No. 9 by My Father Cigars
- Manolo Estate Heavyweight Maduro Robusto
- My Father Garcia & Garcia
- Perdomo Reserve Limited Cameroon Edition Petit Corona
- Pura Soul Barber Pole 50 x 5
- Quesada Jalapa Prominente
- Quesada Octoberfest 2014 Kurz
- Tatuaje Skinny Tiff
On this date July 16th…
- July 16th 2012: We posted a press release new staffing for Dona Flor Cigars.
- July 16th 2012: We assessed the Tatuaje Baby Face (Part of the Little Monsters Series)
- July 16th 2013: We reported that Bodega Premium Blends (BPB) would be distributed by House of Emilio
- July 16th 2013: We previewed the La Jugada Habano by Moya Ruiz Cigars.
- July 16th 2013: We reported on the Davidoff Golden Band Award Winners.
- July 16th 2013: We reported on the Gurkha 125th Anniversary Special Edition.
- July 16th 2013: We reported on the Tatuaje Avion 13 Reserva.
- July 16th 2013: We reported on the Gurkha Evil Goliath.
- July 16th 2013: We did an Assessment Update on Tres Reynas 2012
- July 16th 2013: We reported on the revamping of the Torano Reserva Selecta.
- July 16th 2014: We reported on the La Flor Dominicana Capitulo II.
- July 16th 2014: We reported on Warped Cigars’ Gondola Ashtray.
- July 16th 2014: We reported on B.G. Meyer Slackers.
- July 16th 2014: We reported on the RoMa Craft Tobac Neanderthal.
- July 16th 2014: We reported on the 1502 Nicaragua by Global Premium Cigars.
- July 16th 2014: We reported on the Aging Room M20 ffortissimo.
- July 16th 2014: We reported on RoMa Craft Tobac’s El Catador de Las Panetelas for “Just For Him” in Springfield, Missouri
- July 16th 2015: We reported on another run of the Drew Estate Liga Privada Unico Serie Ratzilla for Drew Diplomat Retailers.
- July 16th 2015: We reported on the Alec Bradley Nica Puro Rosado.
- July 16th 2015: We reported on Cubariqueno Cigar Company ‘s plans for the 2015.
- July 16th 2015: We reported on the Viaje Skull and Bones Ten Ton Tess Collector’s Edition launch at IPCPR
- July 16th 2015: We reported on Fratello Cigars’ tray packaging.
- July 16th 2015: We reported on the Eiroa: The First 20 Years release.