The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8 am Eastern Time.
WELCOME CURRENT SPONSOR ALPHA CIGAR COMPANY AS OUR NEW SPONSOR FOR THE CIGAR INDUSTRY REPORT!
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 31 (Edition 232 6/24/17)
Feature of the Week: FDA Commissioner Gottlieb Addresses Premium Cigars at Senate Appropriations Hearing
At a June 20th, 2017 Senate Appropriations Committee to discuss the 2018 Fiscal Year Budget for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Senator Marco Rubio brought up the Deeming Rule and the current impacts on the premium cigar market. Senator Rubio asked FDA Commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb if there were any plans to re-evaluate the inclusion of premium hand made cigars in this rule. The significant thing is of his response is he has acknowledged his awareness of the challenges facing the industry. We got the details here.
Our 2017 IPCPR Digest is live. You can follow up on all of our reports leading up to the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show opening July 10th in Las Vegas.
- Drew Estate: Announced it is Selim Hanono is departing the company. The company also announced its 2017 Connecticut Barn Smoker.
- Camacho: Announced the nCamacho Liberty 2017. The brand also is teaming up with Cigar Dojo for the Imperial Stout Barrel-Aged
- Davidoff: Announced the 2017 2017 Davidoff Golden Band Award nominees.
- Espinosa Cigars: Announced the Espinosa Reggae and Reggae DREAD will make its national debut at 2017 IPCPR.
- Fratello Cigars: Announced the Fratello Navetta will debut at the 2017 IPCPR.
- Habanos SA: Announced José María López Inchaurbe as its new Development VP
- Kristoff: The Kristoff TAA Exclusive 49 has begun to arrive at TAA retailers.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: The company announced the Hamlet 25th Year will be launched at the 2017 IPCPR
- Tabacalera USA: The new Casa de Montecristo in Nashville has opened.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. No new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors at 118.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week one new co-sponsor, Senator Tom Cotton [R-Arkansas] signed on. The total number of sponsors is now 16.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017 to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week three new co-sponsors were added including Ron DeSantis [R-Florida], Matt Gaetz [R-Florida], and Devin Nunes [R-California]. The total sponsor count is now 77.
- Maine: A proposed bill to raise the Smoking Age to 21 is heading to the State Senate for a vote.
- South Dakota: Rep. Mark Mickelson (R) is trying to get two questions on the ballot that would raise the tax on Other Tobacco Products (including cigars) from 45 to 55 percent.
- Cohiba Macassar Toro Grande
- MBombay Classic Churchill
- Umbagog Corona Gorda by Dunbarton Tobacco and Trust
- Cigar Golf Club-The Green
- Crux Limitada Show Exclusive 2016
- We published a Q&A on Trump Cuba Directives.
Prime Time Show
For Episode 11, Claudio Sgroi, President and Master Blender of Mombacho Cigars was our special guest. We talked all things Mombacho, then in our Debonaire Ideal segment, we talkedabout “Celebrating the Birth of a Child”. Finally, for our Deliberation Segment we talked about the “Spirit of Cigar Reviews”.
Prime Time Special Edition
Prime Time Schedule
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 12 (6/29/17): Juan Cancel and Bill Ives, Cubariqueño Cigar Company
Special Edition #6 (6/27/17): Mel Shah, Bombay Tobak
Episode 13 (7/5/17-Weds): Skip Martin, RoMa Craft Tobac
IPCPR Trade Show 7/10-7/14/17
Episode 14 (7/20/17): Tim Cavenagh and Justin Gao Mathson Hansen, Alpha Cigar Company
Episode 15 (7/27/17): Paul Stulac, Paul Stulac Cigars
Episode 16 (8/3/17): Bryan Mussard, Cattle Baron Cigars
On this date June 24th…
- June 24th, 2011: We assessed the Quesada Selección España.
- June 24th, 2012: We previewed the Tres Reynas project.
- June 24th, 2012: We previewed the launch of L’Atelier Imports.
- June 24th, 2013: We previewed the Aging Room Maduro.
- June 24th, 2013: We previewed the Room 101 Serie HN (Honduras).
- June 24th, 2013: We assessed the Ezra Zion Tantrum.
- June 24th, 2013: We previewed the La Sirena Merlion Sea Lion
- June 24th, 2013: We reported on the Padrón 1926 Serie Sampler Packs.
- June 24th, 2014: We reported on the Felipe Gregorio Power 2014.
- June 24th, 2014: We reported on the La Colmena Unico Especial by Warped Cigars.
- June 24th, 2014: We reported on the Zulu Zulu S.T.K. Miami Mas Paz Edition 2014 by Gran Habano
- June 24th, 2014: We reported on the Draig Cayuquero Lancero by Emilio Cigars.
- June 24th, 2014: We assessed the Viaje Skull and Bones MOAB 2014.
- June 24th, 2015: We reported on the plans for the Flor de Selva Toro Connecticut and Maduro to launch at the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show.
- June 24th, 2014: We reported on the Mombacho Cigars entering the U.S. Market with Tierra Volcan.
- June 24th, 2015: We assessed the La Aurora Cien Años Preferidos (Havana Cigar Club Edition).
- June 24th, 2015: We reported on the My Father El Centurion H.2K.CT.
- June 24th, 2015: We reported on the Aging Room Bin No. 1 D Major and D Minor.
- June 24th, 2015: We reported on the Montecristo White Vintage Connecticut by Altadis USA.
- June 24th, 2016: We did an Agile Cigar Review on the Sindicato Maduro Churchill.
- June 24th, 2016: We reported on the Viaje TNT 2016 and Viaje C-4 2016 Editions.
- June 24th, 2016: We reported on the PDR Nicaraguan Reserve – a Shop Exclusive for Best Cigar Prices
- June 24th, 2016: We reported on the debut of the Viaje Furiosa.