The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 487 (5/28/22)
U.S. District Court Hears Oral Arguments in Case to Nullify FDA Deeming Rule on Premium Cigars
Back in February 2021, the three trade associations for the cigar industry (Cigar Association of America, Cigar Rights of America, and Premium Cigar Association) filed a motion for summary judgment and permanent injunction with the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia asking the Court to nullify the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s Final Deeming Rule. The Deeming Rule defines the regulation of premium cigars. On May 23rd, oral arguments were heard for the case by attorneys representing the trade associations and Justice Department in front of Judge Amit P Mehta. We’ve got the details here.
- Alec Bradley: The Alec Bradley Prensado Gran Belicoso is returning in support of Cigars for Warriors
- United Cigars: The company will release a 25th Anniversary Humidor Set for Ambassador Fine Cigars which will contain Selected Tobacco’s new Alfonso line
- Crowned Heads: The company has brought back its Blood Medicine event cigar.
- Favilli Cigars: Has begun shipping The Granada Line to the U.S. market.
- Habanos SA: Phoenicia T.A.A. has released the Cohiba 55 Aniversario Edición Limitada
- Karen Berger Cigars: The company announced the Karen Berger 25th Anniversary by AJ Fernandez to will launch at PCA 2022
- General Cigar Company: The company announced Punch “The People’s Champ”
- La Flor Dominicana: The company has kicked off its Gournet Smoke Sessions – Tour Del Mundo series
- Miami Cigar & Company: The company has brought back the Nestor Miranda Special Selection Connecticut.
- Warped Cigars: The Eagles Descent is being released nationally.
- Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust: The company announced Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust it will temporarily open new purveyor accounts
- Frontier Cigars: Announced Acosa as will serve as its exclusive national broker
- PCA: We reported on the current Board of Directors elections.
- House of Representatives: HR 3982 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors signed on. The total number of sponsors remains at 59.
- U.S. Senate: S.438 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at nine.
- FDA: Named Dr. Brian A. King Center for Tobacco Products Director
Agile Cigar Reviews
The Smoking Syndicate
- None this week
Features and Blog
- No Feature Stories Published this week
- None this week
Prime Time Podcasts
Prime Time Show
Prime Time Special Edition
- None This Week
Prime Time Jukebox
- None This Week
6/2: Prime Time Jukebox Episode 230: Steve Saka, Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust
6/14: Prime Time Special Edition 122: Michael Herklots, Ferio Tego
On This Date…
On this date May 28th…
- May 28, 2012: We did a pre-release assessment of the Emilio AF Suave.
- May 28, 2013: We reported on plans for the Torano Exodus Finite and a re-packaging of the Reserva Selecta Line
- May 28, 2013: We re-posted a press release on the Oktoberfest Krone.
- May 28, 2013: We assessed the Leccia Tobacco Black.
- May 28, 2014: We reported on the first shipment of the Viaje Zombie Antidote Shipping
- May 28, 2014: We reported on release of the Nat Sherman Host Selection Maduro Announced
- May 28, 2014: We assessed the Ora Vivo Armand Assante (European Edition) Genios by Legacy Brands
- May 28, 2014: We reported on the reblend of La Sirena Original and plans for the La Sirena Oceano.
- May 28, 2014: We reported on the return of the Viaje Roman Candle.
- May 28, 2015: We reported on the La Palina H-Town Edition for Stogies World Class Cigars in Houston, Texas
- May 28, 2015: We reported on the limited return of the El Primer Mundo Clase Reserva for an Event at R&R Cigars.
- May 28, 2015: We reported on the D’Crossier Flor de D’Crossier Selection No. 512.
- May 28, 2015: We reported on Espinosa Cigars agreeing to Distribute D’Crossier Cigars
- May 28, 2015: We reported on Duran Cigars hiring Cuban Cigar Blender Cristano “Santo” Cardenas as Master Blender
- May 28, 2015: We reported on Quesada Cigars agreeing to Distribute Matilde Cigars.
- May 28, 2015: We provided an update on the MoyaRuiz Chinese Finger Trap Nears Release.
- May 28, 2016: We published Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 27 (5/28/16)
- May 28, 2016: We assessed the La Galera Habano El Lector by IndianHead Cigars
- May 28, 2016: We reported on the JSK Crna Nok and Zlatno Sonce Lines
- May 28, 2017: We assessed the Jas Sum Kral Zlatno Sonce Toro
- May 28, 2018: We reported on Screwpop Chopo Cigar Cutter
- May 28, 2018: We assessed the 1502 Blue Sapphire Toro Gordo
- May 28, 2019: We reported on White Hat Cigars’ Ilegal line
- May 28, 2019: We reported on the H. Upmann Nicaragua by AJ Fernandez Papi Tin Offering
- May 28, 2019: We reported on Tabacalera G. Kafie y Cia being renamed to Tabacalera La Unión
- May 28, 2019: We reported on Miami Cigar & Company bringing back Don Lino Africa
- May 28, 2020: We reported on the Drew Estate ACID Loud and ACID Seven Wonders samplers
- May 28, 2020: We reported on the InterTabac 2020 Trade Show being ancelled
- May 28, 2020: We reported on Cavalier Genève adding distribution for Norway
- May 28, 2020: We reported on JSK Nuggs being added to Australian distribution
- May 28, 2020: We reported on Plasencia Cigars announcing Alma Fuerte Packaging changes
- May 28, 2020: We reported on Drew Estate Announces Virtual Launch Series for Year of the Rat
- May 28, 2021: We reported on leading premium cigar manufacturers issuing a Statement of Support for PCA Trade Show
- May 28, 2021: We published The Blog: In Memoriam – Scott Alexander Cunius