The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 4, Number 33 (Edition 130 7/11/15)
Feature of the Weeks
We have two big stories this week.
Altadis and Pete Johnson to Collaborate on Henry Clay Relaunch
This week we got details of a collaboration being done between Altadis USA and Tatuaje’s Pete Johnson. The cigar will be a new take on an old line – in this case, the Henry Clay. The cigar is called the Henry Clay Tattoo.
Hirochi Robaina Leaves Cubanacan and Joins La Palina
In what is considered a shocking move heading into the eve of the IPCPR Trade Show, La Palina Cigars has confirmed that Hirochi Robaina will be joining its team. At the same time, Robaina has announced he is leaving Cubanacan and taking the HR brands with him. Cubanacan has not issued a statement as of yet.
2015 IPCPR Preview Series
We had our second installment of our 2015 IPCPR Preview Series covering the Industry Trends.
News and Previews
- Boutique Blends: The company will create the next version of Alliance Cigar’s exclusive DeSocio line called Aging Room Quattro F55 DeSocio.
- Duran Cigars: The company announced several projects this week for IPCPR. Highlighting things will be the Roberto P. Duran Signature Santo Cardenas Edition and line extensions to the Neya F8 and Azan lines.
- Asylum Cigars: A number of announcements were made for IPCPR. We covered details on the Insidious by Asylum Habano, the Asylum 13 Ogre Lancero, and the new 7 x 70 Asylum 13 Authentic Corojo. The brand will also release the new Asylum 33 line (details forthcoming)
- Acme Cigar Company: AKA Cigars’ Jay Lundy and Tom Poehler are forming a second cigar company with three new lines planned.
- Black Label Trading Company: The company announced its new Black Label Trading Company Deliverance Nocturne
- Cornelius & Anthony: The company has announced it will release its Meridian line at the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Crux Cigar Company: The company is planning on three new lines for the second half of 2015 – Crux Guild , Crux du Connoisseur, and a yet to be named line. These cigars will be launched at the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Davidoff: The company will add two new cigars to its Davidoff Winston Churchill line.
- Edgar Hoill Cigars: The CLE brand will launch two Honduran puros – Everyday Hustle and OG OSOK.
- Foundation Cigar Company: Nicholas Melillo’s new company has officially announced its first cigar – El Güegüense.
- Guayacan: Noel Rojas’ company will create the new Guayacan Sabor de Chattanooga to be Event Exclusive for the Chattanooga Tweet Up and Cigar Festival.
- Gurkha Cigar Group: For the IPCPR Trade Show, the company will launch Gurkha Cask Blend, Gurkha Heritage, and the Gurkha Cellar Reserve Platinum Edition.
- La Flor Dominicana: The company made their IPCPR announcements. We covered news on the Litto Gomez LG 2015 and the La Flor Dominicana Tango line extension. In addition, the company will be bringing back the Coronado line, launch a new line called La Flor Dominicana La Nox, bring the La Flor Dominicana Air Bender Maduro into regular production, and release the La Flor Dominicana Salomon Especial. More details on these other announcements will be forthcoming this coming week.
- La Palina Cigars: The company will launch the La Palina Red Label at the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Las Cumbres Tabaco: Jose Blanco’s company will dd Senorial Maduro Natural and the Senorial Lancero
- Maya Selva Cigars: The company has debuted its new countertop displays for the Flor de Seliva Petit-Cigar.
- Nat Sherman: At the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show, new line extensions for the Nat Sherman Sterling will make their debut as well as several accessories.
- Perdomo Cigars: The company will release its Perdomo Factory Tour Blend at the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show.
- RoMa Craft Tobac: The company will launch its El Catador de las Petite Coronas at the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Royal Agio Cigars: The company will launch Balmoral Anejo XO at the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show.
- United Cigar Group: The company will launch KILO. The cigars are expected to be at the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors signed on. The total sponsor remains at 17.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 2058 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, two new co-sponsors were added.: Mark Takai [R-Hawii] and Christopher Gibson [R-New York]. The total number of sponsors is 128.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week three new co-sponsors signed were added.: Lou Barletta [R-Pennsylvania], John Shimkus [R-Illinois], and Bill Flores [R-Texas]. The total number of sponsors remains at 21.
- California: SB 151, a bill to raise the smoking age from 18 to 21 has stalled.
- Federal: The U.S. House Appropriations Committee has passed the FY2016 Agriculture Appropriations Bill. This Bill includes language which would move the proposed date that premium cigars would be subject to regulate from February 15th, 2007 to whenever the regulations take effect.
- Pennsylvania: State Representative Vanessa Brown announced she is proposing legislation to raise the smoking age from 18 to 21.
Stogie Geeks Episode 148
Our Stogies of the Week included:
On this date July 11th…
- July 11th 2011: We re-posted a press release covering the release of the Gurkha Royal Challenge, Gurkha Seduction, and Gurkha Cellar Reserve.
- July 11th 2011: We assessed information on HR 1639 – the 2011 bill to keep the FDA from regulating cigars.
- July 11th 2012: We previewed the Quesada Espana Jalapa
- July 11th 2012: We previewed the Oliva Serie V Melanio.
- July 11th 2012: We re-posted a press release called “Ramon Puig Guayabera Brand Chooses Oliva Cigar Co. as Official Partner for 40 Year Anniversary Celebration“
- July 11th 2013: We previewed the Hex by Sindicato Cigars
- July 11th 2013: We previewed the Affinity by Sindicato Cigars
- July 11th 2013: We previewed the Sosa Auric Perfectum.
- July 11th 2013: We previewed the Sosa Limitado.
- July 11th 2013: We previewed the Rocky Patel Vintage 2003 Cameroon Juniors.
- July 11th 2013: We assessed the Rocky Patel Fifteenth Anniversary 6 x 60.
- July 11th 2013: We previewed Azan by Roberto Duran Cigars.
- July 11th 2013: We previewed the Rocky Patel Royale.
- July 11th 2013: We previewed the three new sizes of the REINADO Grand Empire Reserve Premium Collection.
- July 11th 2013: We previewed the Erez Unsmokable Box Press Series – Limited Editiono.
- July 11th 2013: We previewed the Bold by Nish Patel.
- July 11th 2013: We previewed the Tortuga 215 Reserva by Victor Vitale
- July 11th 2013: We previewed the Ora Vivo Armand Assante by Victor Vitale
- July 11th 2014: We reported on plans for the L’Atelier Imports’ L’Atelier Travailleurs, Surrogates Cracker Crumbs, El Suelo Vuelos, and Trocadero Ruelles.
- July 11th 2014: We reported on plans for the Total Flame Cigars’ OTR (Off the Rails).
- July 11th 2014: We reported on plans for the Cubanacan HR.
- July 11th 2014: We reported on plans for C&C Cigars to launch the Dram Cigars for Whiskey line.
- July 11th 2014: We reported on plans for the Total Flame Wild One.
- July 11th 2014: We reported on plans for Crux Cigar Company’s Passport, Classic, and Bull & Bear Lines.
- July 11th 2014: We reported on plans for the Total Flame Spokes release.
- July 11th 2014: We reported on plans for the Total Flame Premium Perfecto.
- July 11th 2014: We did an Assessment Update on the Tatuaje Frank Jr. (Part of the Little Monsters Series).
- July 11th 2014: We reported on plans for the A.J. Fernandez New World.
- July 11th 2014: We reported on plans for the Swag Black by Boutique Blends Cigars.