The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 35 (Edition 184 7/23/16)
Feature of the Week: Cigar Industry Might Have Busiest News Week Ever
This week might be one of a kind for the cigar industry. With the IPCPR Trade Show set to open on July 24th and the FDA set to begin to implement its Deeming Regulations on August 8th, there has been a scramble like never seen before to get new product out. This week we published some three dozen stories related to IPCPR. Given how hard it will be to get new product out after August 8th, we may never see a week like this again.
This week we reported that a Judge in a Washington DC Circuit Court has ordered Vaping Trade Association and Nicapure Labs LLC lawsuits to be consolidated, Meanwhile a hearing date has been set.
Southern Draw Cigars issued a statement on the FDA Regulations, including the company’s decision to not attend the 2016 IPCPR Trade Show.
On Going Coverage
IPCPR Pre-Game Series
- A Look at This Year’s Trade Show and Convention
- The Trends to Watch
- Predictions for the Five Hottest Cigars
Detailed IPCPR Pre-Game Coverage
- Drew Estate: A huge week of product announcements. The big announcements were Drew Estate Announces Herrera Esteli Miami and the new fire-cured / candela project known as Kentucky Fire Cured Swamp Thang / Swamp Rat. Meanwhile Undercrown and Undercrown Shade will receive a series of line extensions including a new Undercrown Shade Flying Pig. There are also additional packaging changes coming to ACID, Herrera Esteli and Tabak Especial.
- Duran Cigars: The company will introduce a new Neya blend in a lancero size called the Neya F8 Texas Tactical Lancero
- 1502 Cigars: The company will unveil the new 1502 Blue Sapphire.
- Black Works Studio: The brand under Fabrica Oveja Negra announced three new blends and three line extensions.
- Camacho Cigars: The brand will unveil its latest installment of the Brotherhood Series, the Camacho Check Six.
- Cigar Rights of America: A new “Stamp” program will be unveiled at the 2016 IPCPR Trade Show that will highlight those manufacturers supporting CRA. The organization also announced proceeds of the sale of the 2016 Cigar Sampler pack from the IPCPR Trade Show will go to fund the Legal Defense Fund in the battle against the FDA.
- Crux Cigar Company: The company announced the new Sports Dark and Skeeters Dark blends.
- Double Shot Cigars: This is a new “Energy” cigar designed much in the same way as an Energy Drink. The cigar is being spearheaded by Roberto Lopez of Santiago Cigars.
- E.P. Carrillo: The company announced some of the details around its new revamped portfolio.
- Elogio Cigars: The Elogio Excentrico Becomes Regular Production and will introduce new sizes.
- Espinosa Cigars: The company will partner with a Dominican factory to release a flavored cigar called @zucar. The company will also unveil a rounded Murcielago called Murcielago Bouton.
- J.C. Newman Cigar Company: The long awaited Diamond Crown Black Diamond will be showcased at IPCPR and finally ship shortly afterwards.
- Foundation Cigar Company: Nick Melillo will unveil Charter Oak, a more value-priced line consisting of a Connecticut Broadleaf and a Connecticut Shade offering.
- La Barba Cigars: The company announced the “One and Only” and a rebranding of La Barba Red
- LH Premium Cigars: Three new line extensions will be added to the Claro, Colorado, and Maduro lines.
- Mombacho Cigars SA: The Grenada-based company will roll out new packaging for Tierra Volcan and Liga Maestro.
- MoyaRuiz Cigars: The company announced a new line called Il Ridotto. The company also announced its latest limited edition in tribute to Cigar Dojo, the Dim Mak-The Death Touch.
- Padilla Cigar Company: We reported on the new Cava Maduro (in which the original Cava will undergo banding changes) as well as the return of the Padilla 1932 Oscuro.
- Recluse Cigar Company: The company is planning out rolling out nine new blends. Four of them were announced this week: Recluse Amadeus Los Cabos, Recluse Amadeus Rosado, Recluse Amadeus Corojo Reserva, and Recluse OTG Connecticut.
- Royal Agio Cigars: The company will introduce three new sizes to Balmoral Anejo XO.
- Sacra Folium Cigar Company: This new company will unveil five lines.
- Ventura Cigar Company: Announced details on Archetype Series B, a collaboration being done with Drew Estate.
- Viva Republica: There is a new installment of the Warfare Series geared for larger ring gauges called Art of War.
- Crowned Heads: Cigar Federation is the recipient of another limited edition – 729 Calloway Lane.
- Espinosa Cigars: The company will be the latest to join Stogies World Class Cigars H-Town Series with the Espinosa Laranja Reserva H-Town Lancero Coming Soon
- Illusione Cigars: The company announced plans for a price adjustment.
- RoMa Craft Tobac: Intemperance Whiskey Rebellion 1794, a cigar originally done for Cigar Dojo will be expanded into a full-line and will be an on-going release for Famous Smoke Shop.
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 21.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week no new co-sponsored were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 166.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week no new co-sponsored were added. The total number of sponsors is now 72.
This week Sam Morales, of Drew Estate joined us. We also welcomed back Jack Torano, from Torano Family Cigars. Our Debonaire Ideal segment was on Summertime Drinks and Cigars plus we had ourSStogies of the Week that included:
- Cabaiguan Guapos 46 Natural
- Camacho Havana Churchill
- Crux du Connoisseur No. 2
- Davidoff Art Edition 2016
- Esteban Carreras 10 Anos Churchill
- Hechicera Robusto
- Kristoff Connecticut Robusto
- Viaje Exclusivo Reserva Toro
- Tatuaje Skinny Chuck
- Tres Reynas 2013 Robusto
Stogie Geeks News – July 15th 2016
Stogie Geeks Throwback
This week we look back at two classic episodes from the Stogie Geeks archives.
On this date July 23rd…
- July 23rd 2011: We previewed the Drew Estate Undercrown.
- July 23rd 2011: We assessed the Quesada Oktoberfest.
- July 23rd 2012: We previewed the Aging Room Cigars Quattro
- July 23rd 2012: We previewed the Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial Limited Edition 2012
- July 23rd 2012: We re-posted a press release on Anoranzas by Miami Cigar and Company.
- July 23rd 2012: We re-posted a press release on the Gurkha 125th Anniversary.
- July 23rd 2012: We reported on the split of EO Brands.
- July 23rd 2013: We previewed the H.Upmann Reserve Special Edition by Altadis USA.
- July 23rd 2013: We previewed the Kristoff Galerones Intensivo.
- July 23rd 2013: We previewed the Foundry: War of Currents (The Laboratories) lime.
- July 23rd 2013: We reported on the planned return of the Rocky Patel Edicion Unica Returns for 2013
- July 23rd 2014: We reported on the CAO Colombia.
- July 23rd 2014: We reported on the Alec Bradley Fine and Rare TA-25A (Alec Bradley Fine and Rare 2014)
- July 23rd 2014: We reported on the planned Tatuaje Halloween Series.
- July 23rd 2015: We reported on the Drew Estate Booth at the 2015 IPCPR.
- July 23rd 2015: We reported on the Matilde Oscura debut.
- July 23rd 2015: We reported on Illusione Fume D’Amour Juniperos.
- July 16th 2015: We reported on another run of the Drew Estate Liga Pri