The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8 am Eastern Time.
WELCOME CURRENT SPONSOR ALPHA CIGAR COMPANY AS OUR NEW SPONSOR FOR THE CIGAR INDUSTRY REPORT!
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 33 (Edition 234 7/8/17)
Feature of the Week: Matt Booth Returns to the Cigar Industry
Matt Booth‘s hiatus from the cigar business is over. This week it was announced that Matt Booth would be returning to the industry. Initially, Booth will collaborate on two releases with his friend Robert Caldwell. We got the details here.
IPCPR 2017 Pre Game
Our 2017 IPCPR Digest is live. You can follow up on all of our reports leading up to the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show opening July 10th in Las Vegas. We published Part 2 of our IPCPR Pre-Game Report: “The Trends to Watch“.
These are some of our IPCPR Pre-Game reports of things to expect at this year’s show.
- Debonaire House: The company will launch Daybreak, its Connecticut Shade offering. In addition, the company will introduce new packaging updates to its Debonaire Habano and Debonaire Maduro Lines
- Drew Estate: The company made several announcements highlighted by the Undercrown Sun Grown. The company will also debut several ACID line extensions including two candelas.
- Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust: The company will launch its Todos Las Dias line. In addition, the company will showcase the Muestra de Saka Nacatamale. Finally, the company will also showcase Mi Querida in the Gordita size.
- AJ Fernandez Cigars: The company will unveil the New World Puro Especial.
- Black Works Studio: The Boondock Saint will have a full launch this summer and is expected to be showcased at the trade show.
- Crux Cigar Company: Crux Epicure will have a full launch this summer and will add a fourth size in the form of a Corona Gorda.
- Colibri: The company will release the Colibri Explorer Travel Case.
- D’Crossier Cigars: The company will launch an assortment of its Golden Blend line containing three new sizes.
- El Primer Mundo: The company will launch theEl Primer Mundo Clase Reserve Connecticut.
- Island Lifestyle Importers LLC: The company announced its Tommy Bahama Back Nine Golf Series accessories.
- Joya de Nicaragua: The company will launch the Antaño Gran Reserva. The company will also showcase new packaging for Joya de Nicaragua Antaño Dark Corojo.
- La Flor Dominicana: The company made its IPCPR announcements including its signature release, La Volcada. In addition a new Factory Press cigar is launching and finally the company will unveil news 50-count cabinets for La Nox Petite.
- Miami Cigar and Company: The Tatiana Groovy Blue line will add a La Vita Size.
- MoyaRuiz Cigars: The MoyaRuiz Il Ridotto will have a full launch in 2017.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: The Rocky Patel Fifty Toro is returning for a limited run.
- Selected Tobacco: Atabey will receive five new vitolas. The company will also launch a limited edition humidor packaging option for two of its Byron cigars.
- Southern Draw Cigars: Jacobs Ladder will have have national launch at this year’s trade show.
- Ventura Cigar Company: The company will showcase Five Blends of Case Study at 2017 IPCPR
- Viaje: The company will launch the Viaje 10th Anniversary at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show.
- Ezra Zion Cigar Company: Announced it has re-acquired Cigar Federation.
- GTO Dominican Cigars: The company will release Anesthesia in August.
- Southern Draw Cigars: The company announced a price increase across premium lines.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors at 118.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 16.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017 to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 77.
- Delaware: As part of a 4.1 Billion State budget, the tax on Other Tobacco Products has increased from 15 to 30 percent of the Wholesale price.
- Oregon: The Oregon House passed Senate Bill 754 by a 39-to-20 vote that would raise the State’s Smoking Age to 21. The state will become the third in the U.S. to raise the minimum smoking age to 21 as once Governor Kate Brown signs the bill.
- This month’s feature is “Covering the IPCPR Trade Show“
Prime Time Show
For Episode 13, Skip Martin and Mike Rosales of RoMa Craft Tobac were our special guests. We talked BBQ in our Debonaire Ideal Segment, In our Deliberation Segment we had a variety of topics including discussing the sale of Cigar Federation.
Prime Time Special Edition
For Special Edition #6, we welcomed Mel Shah of Bombay Tobak. We also discussed the “Five Biggest Cigar Industry Stores” Feature Story published on Cigar Coop.
Prime Time Schedule
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 14 (7/20/17): Tim Cavenagh and Justin Gao Mathson Hansen, Alpha Cigar Company
Special Edition #7 (7/21/17): TBD
Episode 15 (7/27/17): Paul Stulac, Paul Stulac Cigars
Episode 16 (8/3/17): Bryan Mussard, Cattle Baron Cigars
On this date July 8th…
- July 8th, 2011: We assessed the La Sirena Series A
- July 8th, 2012: We published our 2012 IPCPR Trade Show Preview Part 2: “Three Wrappers to Watch”
- July 8th, 2013: We previewed the La Hoja Auténtico Maduro
- July 8th, 2013: We previewed the Room 101 Master Collection One
- July 8th, 2013: We did a “pre-review” of the original Nica Rustica by Drew Estate.
- July 8th, 2013: We previewed the Tatuaje Avion 13 FF (Habano).
- July 8th, 2014: We assessed the Las Cumbres Tabaco Señorial by José Blanco.
- July 8th, 2014: We reported on the La Palina Black Label.
- July 8th, 2014: We reported on plans to debut the Nomad C-276 to Debut at the IPCPR Trade Show
- July 8th, 2014: We reported on the Nomad Connecticut Fuerte Belicoso line extension.
- July 8th, 2014: We reported on Toraño Family Cigars‘ Charlie Toraño Captiva.
- July 8th, 2014: We reported on Crowned Heads Headley Grange Snaredrum becoming a limited edition exclusive to Federal Cigar
- July 8th, 2014: We reported on the Joel Sherman 75th Celebration by Nat Sherman, a cigar that went on to become our 2014 Cigar of the Year.
- July 8th, 2014: We reported on the The Griffin’s Anniversary Edition 2014 Club Series II release.
- July 8th, 2014: We reported on the Ezra Zion selling Cigar Federation to Logan Lawler
- July 8th, 2015: We reported on Duran Cigars adding line extensions to Azan.
- July 8th, 2015: We published on Duran Cigars adding additional line extensions for Neya F8
- July 8th, 2015: We reported on the Roberto P. Duran Signature Santo Cardenas Edition.
- July 8th, 2015: We assessed the MBombay Mora No. 4.
- July 8th, 2015: We reported on the Black Label Trading Company Deliverance Nocturne.
- July 8th, 2015: We reported on Nat Sherman adding new Executive Ashtray and Humidor Accessories.
- July 8th, 2015: We reported on the Perdomo Factory Tour Blend.
- July 8th, 2015: We reported on the RoMa Craft Tobac El Catador de las Petite Coronas.
- July 8th, 2016: We reported on Seven U.S. Senators writing a letter to the FDA Questioning Final Regulations.
- July 8th, 2016: We assessed the Tatuaje Skinny Tiff
- July 8th, 2016: We reported on Foundation Cigar Company naming Rick Ardito Executive Brand Manager for The Upsetters
- July 8th, 2016: We reported on Warped Cigars to introducing Villa Sombra.