The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 445 (8/7/21)
Drew Estate Cancels In-Person Events for 2021
In what could be a foreshadowing of what we will see in the cigar industry for the last 4 1/2 months of 2021, Drew Estate announced it has suspended its in-person events for the remainder of 2021. This includes the cancellation of the 2021 Barn Smoker Season as well as the postponement of the DE25 celebration in Dallas, Texas. The action is being taken due to increasing health and safety concerns resulting from the rise of the COVID-19 Delta Variant, which continues to spread rapidly throughout the country. We’ve got the details here.
Oliva Cigar Company Acquires Cuba Aliados, Puros Indios and Roly Brands
Oliva Cigar Company has purchased the trademarks for three well-known brands from the Reyes Family in Honduras. These brands are the Cuba Aliados, Puros Indios and Roly. We’ve got the details here.
PCA Product Coverage
- Alec Bradley: We reported on the factory change for the Alec & Bradley Gatekeeper.
- Tatuaje: We reported on the Tatuaje Holiday Advent Calendar
- Casa Turrent: We reported on three new sizes for the Cast Turrent 1880 blends.
- Dapper Cigar Company: We reported on the La Madrina Shade.
- Global Premium Cigars: We reported on the 502 Black Gold Robusto
- Oveja Negra Brands: We reported on the Emilio Papa Joe Corona Extra, Emilo LJZ Lonsdale, and the Black Label Trading Company Last Rites Viaticum 2021 Edition
- Supreme Tobacco: We reported on the Bohekio
PCA Post Game Reports
- PCA 2021: Alec Bradley
- PCA 2021: All Saints Cigars
- PCA 2021 Report: Ashton Cigars
- PCA 2021 Report: De Los Reyes Cigars
- PCA 2021 Report: Espinosa Cigars
- PCA 2021 Report: Ferio Tego
- PCA 2021 Report: Kristoff Cigars
- PCA 2021 Report: La Aurora Cigars
- PCA 2021 Report: La Palina
- PCA 2021 Report: Miami Cigar & Company
- Alec Bradley: The Alec Bradley Trilogy is returning for a limited run.
- CST Consulting: Claudio Sgroi is teaming up with Edgar Julian Sued to release a limited edition trilogy of cigars.
- JR Cigar: The retailer announced the Foundation Cigars El Güegüense JR 50th Collector’s Edition
- E.P. Carrillo: The E.P. Carrillo TAA 2021 has been release.
- El Septimo Geneva: The company announced it has acquired L.V. Distribution.
- Protocol Cigars: The company announced the John Doe Series 3.0.
- House of Representatives: HR 3982 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week Kelly Armstrong [R-ND] signed on as a co-sponsor. The total number of sponsors is now at 22.
- U.S. Senate: S.438 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at nine. In addition, language to protect premium cigars has been included in the latest Senate Appropriations Bill.
“Premium Cigars—The Committee notes that the issuance of regulations under the Family Smoking Prevention & Tobacco Control Act may place burdens on the legal production of premium cigars that were in production before this rule was finalized. The Committee directs FDA to periodically report back to Congress on the status of premarket review with regard to premium cigars. The Committee encourages the FDA to re-evaluate these regulations. Further, the agency may want to develop recommendations that consider the concerns of premium cigar manufacturers while taking a risk based approach to public health. The Committee directs the FDA to provide a report to the Committee with its recommendation within 90 days, including recommendations on whether or not to exempt premium cigars from these efforts.”
Agile Cigar Reviews
- None This Week
The Smoking Syndicate
Features and Blog
- See Headlines
- The Blog: Will Cooper Guests on #ElOsoFumarTakes #Take172
- The Blog: Spare Notes Series #3 – Post-PCA Show
- The Blog: KMA Episode 428 – Scott Weeks, Recluse Cigar Company
Prime Time Podcasts
Prime Time Show
Prime Time Special Edition
Prime Time Jukebox
- No Show This Week
8/9: Prime Time Jukebox Episode 46: The Anthony Boudain Show
8/19: Prime Time Episode 198: José Blanco. Arturo Fuente
8/24: Prime Time Special Edition 105: E.P. Carrillo Mt Rushmore
On This Date…
On this date Aug 7th…
- Aug 7, 2011: We previewed the Rocky Patel Vintage 2003
- Aug 7, 2011: We did a pre-review on the Torano Loyal.
- Aug 7, 2012: We reported on Oliveros Cigars consolidating and repackaging the King Havano Line
- Aug 7, 2012: We previewed the Nestor Miranda Special Selection Connecticut
- Aug 7, 2012: We previewed La Dueña by My Father Cigar
- Aug 7, 2012: We previewed L’Atelier, Surrogates, Trocadéro, and El Suelo
- Aug 7, 2013: We reported on the Robusto Especial line extension to Serie LSV and Serie Habano Lines
- Aug 7, 2013: We assessed the Toscanello Speciale
- Aug 7, 2013: We previewed the My Uzi Weighs a Ton Kemosabe and W.O.P.R. (Alliance Cigar Distribution Exclusive)
- Aug 7, 2014: We did a pre-review on the Joya Red by Joya de Nicaragua
- Aug 7, 2014: We previewed Foundry Rare Air
- Aug 7, 2014: We previewed The Brick by Toraño Family Cigars
- Aug 7, 2015: We reported on the Rocky Patel Twentieth Anniversary
- Aug 7, 2015: We reported on Macanudo Estate Reserve 2015
- Aug 7, 2015: We reported on the CLE Plus 2015
- Aug 7, 2015: We published the Feature Story: RoMa Craft Tobac Showcases Neanderthal Line at 2015 IPCPR
- Aug 7, 2016: We reported on the PDR Cigars AFR-75 Maduro Catador
- Aug 7, 2016: We reported on the CAO Consigliere
- Aug 7. 2016: We reported on E.P. Carrillo repackaging the New Wave Connecticut
- Aug 7, 2016: We reported on the Caldwell Cigar Company adding Corona Gorda and Toro Extra line extensions to The Last Tsar
- Aug 7, 2017: We reported on Robbie Streitz departing PDR Cigars
- Aug 7, 2017: We published the Feature Story Spotlight on Crux Cigar Company at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show
- Aug 7, 2017 We reported on the Marrero Tico Torpedo
- Aug 7, 2017: We reported on the Macanudo Inspirado White and Black
- Aug 7, 2018: We published the Feature Story Spotlight on SeiBel Distribution (MLB Cigar Ventures and Matilde Cigars)
- Aug 7, 2018: We reported on CLE samplers.
- Aug 7, 2018: We reported on the Surrogates Satin Glove 654
- Aug 7, 2019: We published IPCPR 2019 Spotlight: Esteban Carreras
- Aug 7, 2019: We reported on the Villiger La Flor de Ynclan Toro
- Aug 7, 2019: We published IPCPR 2019 Spotlight: Debonaire House
- Aug 7, 2020: We published Ten Years of Cigar Coop: Part 9 – American Top 40: The Countdown
- Aug 7, 2020: We reported on the FDA proposing a potential deferment program for premium cigar companies to file for SE