The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 393 (8/8/20)
Ten Years of Cigar Coop
On August 15, 2020, Cigar Coop will mark its ten-year anniversary. In the ten weeks leading up to the event, we are publishing a ten-part series looking back at the history of Cigar Coop. This week we published the seventh installment.
- Ten Years of Cigar Coop: Part 1 – Beginnings: The 2010 IPCPR Trade Show
- Ten Years of Cigar Coop: Part 2 – Start Me Up: 2010 through 2012
- Ten Years of Cigar Coop: Part 3 – Face the Face: Events, Trade Shows, Factory Tours, and More
- Ten Years of Cigar Coop: Part 4 – Won’t Get Fooled Again: The Mistakes
- Ten Years of Cigar Coop: Part 5 – My Way: No Regrets
- Ten Years of Cigar Coop: Part 6 – Summer of 69: The Cigar Coop – Stogie Geeks Era
- Ten Years of Cigar Coop: Part 7 – Freeway of Love: The Pink Cadillac Ride Begins
- Ten Years of Cigar Coop: Part 8 – Opportunities: The Outside Alliances
- Ten Years of Cigar Coop: Part 9 – American Top 40: The Countdown
Nat Sherman Shutting Down in September
After over 90 years, Nat Sherman International will exit the cigar business. Nat Sherman announced that at the end of September 2020, it will cease operation of its wholesale cigar business and close its flagship Nat Sherman Townhouse store in midtown New York. We’ve got the details here.
FDA Proposes Potential Deferment Program for Premium Cigar Companies to File for SE
September 9th is the deadline premium cigar companies had been given to file for Substantial Equivalence to keep non-predicate (non-grandfathered) products on the market. This week the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) sent a letter to Judge Paul Grimm of the U.S. District Court of Maryland outlining a plan that includes an option for companies to request a deferment for filing for Substantial Equivalence (SE) and again reopening the question of how premium cigars should be regulated. We have the details here.
Summer of ’20 Coverage
We will be replacing our normal IPCPR/PCA Pre-Game Coverage with “Summer of ’20 Coverage.” This will focus on the products many cigar companies plan to release this summer.
Summer of ’20 Spotlights
- Summer of ’20 Spotlight: ACE Prime
- Summer of ’20 Spotlight: AJ Fernandez Cigars
- Summer of ’20 Spotlight: Crux Cigars
- Summer of ’20 Spotlight: CLE Cigar Company
- Summer of ’20 Spotlight: JRE Tobacco Co.
- Summer of ’20 Spotlight: Protocol Cigars
This Week’s Coverage
- ADVentura Cigars: The company will release ADVentura – The Royal Return
- Davidoff: The company has released its latest Vault Series release, the Davidoff Madison 515 Toro
- ACE Prime: The company formally announced Luciano The Dreamer and the Pichardo – Maduro
- Asylum Cigars: The brand will release the Asylum Eight this fall.
- Boutique Blends: The company announced the return of the Oliveros Gran Retorno
- Espinosa Cigars: The company announced the“The Expo” as an exclusive to Binny’s Beverage Depot
- Fratello Cigars: The company is releasing the Fratello Sorella to the international market.
- General Cigar Company: Announced the Diesel Estelí Puro
- Gurkha Cigars: The company announced details around the Gurkha San Miguel.
- Micallef Cigars: The company formally announced the release of the Micallef A
- Espinosa Cigars: The company announced the cancellation of La Zona Palooza 2020
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 15.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains 85.
Features and Blog
Prime Time Podcasts
Prime Time Show
Prime Time Special Edition
Prime Time Jukebox
- No Show This Week
8/10: Prime Time Jukebox Episode 16: Album Archaeology #3: The Unforgettable Fire
8/11 : Prime Time Special Edition 82: Cynthia Fuente-Suarez, Arturo Fuente Cigars
8/12: Prime Time Episode 151: Rick Rodriguez, General Cigar Co.
On This Date…
On this date Aug 8th.
- Aug 8, 2011: We previewed Rocky Patel’s Xen by Nish Patel.
- Aug 8, 2012: We recapped some Executive Promotions at Drew Estate.
- Aug 8, 2012: We previewed the La Aurora Preferidos Diamond
- Aug 8, 2012: We previewed the Excentrico by Elogio.
- Aug 8, 2012: We assessed the Te-Amo Revolution
- Aug 8, 2013: We took a look at the Guillermo Leon Signature Lancero – an exclusive for W. Curtis Draper)
- Aug 8, 2013: We assessed the Oliva Serie V Melanio Maduro (2013)
- Aug 8, 2013: We previewed the Davidoff Colorado Claro Anniversario No. 3
- Aug 8, 2014: We previewed the La Gloria Cubana Trunk Show 2014.
- Aug 8, 2014: We took a look at Edgar Hoill Cigars’ releases from the 2014 IPCPR.
- Aug 8, 2014: We took a look at the Zino Platinum Make of Texas
- Aug 8, 2014: We reported on Gran Habano’s trademark issues.
- Aug 8, 2015: We published the Cigar Industry Report: Volume 4, Number 37 (8/08/15)
- Aug 8, 2015: We reported on Kuuts Placeres Serie Roja
- Aug 8, 2015: We reported on the J. Fuego Creates VUDU
- Aug 8, 2015: We reported on the Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real Gran Churchill
- Aug 8, 2016: We reported on JRE Tobacco showcasing Aladino at 2016 IPCPR Trade Show
- Aug 8, 2016: We reported on the Avo 90th Classic Covers Volume 4
- Aug 8, 2016: We reported on the Colibri V-Cut Carbon Fiber Print Offerings
- Aug 8, 2016: We reported on the Padrón 1926 Serie No. 90
- Aug 8, 2016: We published “The Regulation Era Begins for the U.S. Premium Cigar Industry-What it Means to You“
- Aug 8, 2017: We published the “Spotlight on Serino Cigar Company at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show“
- Aug 8, 2017: We reported on the return of the Berger & Argenti Entubar
- Aug 8, 2017: We reported on the Saint Luis Rey Natural Broadleaf
- Aug 8, 2018: We published the feature story “Spotlight on Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust at 2018 IPCPR“
- Aug 8, 2018: We reported on the El Triunfador Original Robusto
- Aug 8, 2018: We reported on the La Palina Goldie Cañonazo
- Aug 8 2019: We published the Agile Cigar Review on thee Herrera Esteli Miami Robusto Grande by Drew Estate
- Aug 8, 2019: We published the feature story “IPCPR 2019 Spotlight: De Los Reyes Cigars“
- Aug 8, 2019: We published the feature story “IPCPR 2019 Spotlight: Fratello Cigars“