The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 33 Edition 286 (7./7/18)
Feature Story: Judge Grants Injunction to Cigar Industry Halting Enforcement of Warning Labels by the FDA
Thursday the cigar industry got a big win. Judge Amit P. Mehta has granted a Motion for an Injunction Pending Appeal delaying the enforcement of the implementation of warning label requirements by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Warning label requirements were scheduled to go into effect on August 10th. Under Judge Mehta’s order, any enforcement of the warning label requirements cannot begin until 60 days after the conclusion of the appeal being filed by the cigar trade organizations.
Cigar Rights of America Executive Director Glynn Loope responded to the decision.
Feature Story: Las Vegas Health Officials Investigating Potential Norovirus Outbreak at Westgate Hotel
The Westgate, one of the host hotels for the 2018 IPCPR Trade Show, has experienced a potential norovirus outbreak among employees and guests of the hotel. IPCPR has responded by moving all of its pre-show events to the Las Vegas Convention Center.
IPCPR Pre Game Reports
We published 2018 IPCPR Pre-Game Report Part 1: A Look at This Year’s Trade Show and Convention. Throughout the week we filed the following reports:
- Bombay Tobak: The company is releasing a new brand known as MQBA.
- Daniel Marshall: The company is expanding its DM Cash for Clunkers program.
- Island Lifestyle Importers: The company will launch its value-priced Island Club Cigar line. The company will also launch two new Tommy Bahama Lighters at 2018 IPCPR.
- Boutique Blends Cigars: The company announced a revamping of its portfolio.
- Crowned Heads: The company will launch the limited edition Crowned Heads Court Reserve XVIII.
- Colibri: The company will release the Colibri S-Cut (serrated).
- Drew Estate: The company will debut its Kentucky Fire Cured Sweets line. The Isla del Sol line has added a new Maduro counterpart and a Sun Grown Gordito. The company has also expanded its 4 x 32 tin series.
- E.P. Carrillo: The company will introduce its E.P. Carrillo INCH Ringmaster
- Foundation Cigar Company: Nick Melillo’s company will launch the Tabernacle Havana Seed CT No. 142.
- Fratello Cigars: The company will debut the Fratello Navetta Inverso. The company showcased new packaging to the Fratello Classico and Fratello Bianco lines.
- Global Premium Cigars: The company will launch a new value-priced brand known as Cachitos.
- Gurkha: We reported on the Marquesa, Chateau de Price, and Gurkha Ghost Gold lines. In addition, the company will re-introduce three flavored cigar lines.
- Joya de Nicaragua: The company’s signature release for its 50th anniversary will be the Joya de Nicaragua Cinco Décadas. The company has also announced the new Joya Silver.
- La Barba Cigars: The company will launch a new version of the One & Only.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: The company will launch its Rocky Patel ALR small batch line.
- Southern Draw Cigars: The company announced Cedrus – The Hogan. The company will also launch the value 300 Hands line.
- Ventura Cigar Company: The company will launch the new Archetype Crystals, Curses and Cloaks.
- Villiger Cigars North America: Promoted Hector Pires to National Sales Manager.
- Familia Rodriguez Tobaccos LLC: The makers of Ohana Cigars have announced Left Hand Cigar Company.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 145.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 21.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 94.
- Massachusetts: The State Senate has voted to raise the smoking age to 21. A similar bill was passed in the House. Both bills must be reconciled before going to Governor Charlie Baker’s desk.
This month’s editorial was entitled “Eight Shows for the Sixth Month”
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
For Episode 59 we welcomed an all-star media panel of Ben Lee from Stogie Review, John McTavish of Developing Palates, and Tripp Waldrop of Cigar Federation as we did an IPCPR Pre-Game Discussion.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 60 (7/26/18): Terence Reilly, Aganorsa Leaf
Prime Time Special Edition
Special Edition #35 (7/10/18): Mel Shah, Bombay Tobak
On this date July 7th
- July 7th, 2011: We reported on California SB 575 being defeated.
- July 7th, 2011: We reposted a press release on the launch of Temptation Cigars.
- July 7th, 2012: We reported on the Inch by E.P. Carrillo shipping.
- July 7th, 2012: We reported on the E.P. Carrillo Atlantic 15th Anniversary Toro
- July 7th, 2013: We published Part 5 of our 2013 IPCPR Preview Series, “Around the Show Floor (Part 2).”
- July 7th, 2013: We reported on the Davidoff Nicaragua Belicoso.
- July 7th, 2014: We reported on the Córdoba & Morales Clave Cubana Etiqueta Blanca
- July 7th, 2014: We reported on the Tortuga 215 Reserva Cedro No. 10
- July 7th 2014: We assessed the La Jugada Nunchuck by Moya Ruiz Cigars
- July 7th, 2015: We reported on the Señorial Maduro Natural by José Blanco
- July 7th, 2015: We reported on the Las Cumbres Tabaco Señorial Lancero
- July 7th, 2015: We reported on the KILO by United Cigar Group
- July 7th, 2015: We reported on Nat Sherman adding three new sizes to the Sterling line
- July 7th, 2015: We assessed the Imperio Cubano Miami Maduro Robusto by Antillian Cigar Corporation.
- July 7th, 2015: We reported on the Guayacan Sabor de Chattanooga event exclusive for the Chattanooga Tweet Up and Cigar Festival.
- July 7th, 2015: We reported on the Gurkha Cask Blend.
- July 7th, 2015: We reported on the Gurkha Heritage.
- July 7th, 2015: We reported on the Gurkha Cellar Reserve Platinum Edition.
- July 7th, 2016: We reported on the Nat Sherman Timeless Collection Robusto and Gordo line extensions.
- July 7th, 2016: We reported on the Nat Sherman Metropolitan Connecticut and Metropolitan Maduro Gordo line extensions.
- July 7th, 2016: We reported on the Nat Sherman Metropolitan Habano.
- July 7th, 2016: We published the feature story “J. Cortès’ Acquisition of Oliva Cigar Company-The Analysis“.
- July 7th, 2016: We assessed the Viaje Exclusivo Reserva Toro.
- July 7th, 2016: We reported on the launch of the GTO Trankilo.
- July 7th, 2017 : We reported on La Flor Dominicana adding 50-Count Cabinets for La Nox Petite
- July 7th, 2017: We reported on La Flor Dominicana launching La Volcada.
- July 7th, 2017: We reported on the GTO Anesthésia.
- July 7th, 2017: We reported on the Drew Estate Undercrown Sun Grown
- July 7th, 2017: We published Prime Time Show Episode 13: Skip Martin and Mike Rosales, RoMa Craft Tobac.
- July 7th, 2017: We reported on a price increase by Southern Draw Cigars.