The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 443 (7/24/21)
Cigar Industry Suffers Huge Defeat in Appeals Court
The Premium Cigar industry suffered a huge defeat in an Appeals Court in Washington DC in their challenge against the Deeming Rules of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). More details can be found from the team at Halfwheel.
PCA Product Coverage
- J.C. Newman Cigar Company: We reported on the Angel Cuesta.
- Perdomo Cigars: We reported on the Perdomo Connoisseur Collection
- Tatuaje Cigars: We reported on the Tatuaje T110 Series and the Tatuaje Cojonu 2021
- 7-20-4 Cigars: We reported on the core line moving production to the J. Fuego factory.
- Arturo Fuente: The company showcased the new sizes of the Rare Pinks.
- CLE Cigar Company: We reported on the CLE Signature THT-EKE 0317
- Esteban Carreras: The company introduced the Chupa Cabra 10th Anniversary Launched at 2021 PCA
- Gurkha: The company is introducing the two-blend Gurkha Revenant line .
- La Aurora Cigars: We reported on the Fernando León Edición Limitada and the La Aurora Puro Vintage 2008
- Oliva Cigar Company: We reported on the Oliva Serie V Melanio Toro
- Room101 Cigars: The company announced the return of the Room101 Namakubi.
PCA Post Game Reports
- PCA 2021: 7-20-4 Cigars
- PCA 2021 Report: Arturo Fuente
- PCA 2021 Report: Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust
- PCA 2021 Report: Illusione Cigars
- PCA 2021 Report: J.C. Newman Cigar Company
- PCA 2021 Report: My Father Cigars
- PCA 2021 Report: Scott Pearce, Executive Director; Premium Cigar Association
- Alec Bradley: Announced the Alec & Bradley Wagyu A5 announced as the latest JR 50th Anniversary Cigar
- Davidoff: Announced the AVO Syncro Caribe
- United Cigars: Announced the return of the La Gianna Angelic
- Espinosa: The Psychedelic Turtle II was announced as the latest Cigar Dojo Collaboration
- Forged Cigar Company: Announced the launch of the Diesel Sunday Gravy Collection.
- General Cigar Company: Announced the M by Macanudo Espresso
- House of Representatives: HR 3982 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week Ken Calvert [R-CA], Bill Huizenga [R-MI], Robert Aderholt [R-AL], Mark Amodei [R-NV], Guy Reschenthaler [R-PA], Harold Rogers [R-KY], Rodney Davis [R-IL], Mike Kelly [R-PA], and Morgan Griffith [R-VA] signed on as co-sponsors. The total number of sponsors is now at 20.
- U.S. Senate: S.438 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at nine.
- None This Week
Agile Cigar Reviews
- None This Week
Features and Blog
- None this week
- The Blog: Will Cooper Guests on #ElOsoFumarTakes #Take168
- The Blog: Spare Notes Series #2 – The Year of the Advent Calendar
- The Blog: KMA Episode 426 – Tommy Zarzecki
Prime Time Podcasts
Prime Time Show
Prime Time Special Edition
- No Show This Week
Prime Time Jukebox
7/26: Prime Time Jukebox Episode 45: The Covers Show
7/27: Prime Time Special Edition 103: PCA Post Game Show
7/29: Prime Time Episode 196: Eddie Ortega, Ortega Cigars
On This Date…
On this date July 24th.
- July 24, 2011: We previewed the Padron Family Reserve 85th
- July 24, 2011: We assessed the Oliveros Sun Grown Reserve
- July 24, 2011: We previewed the CAO OSA Sol
- July 24, 2012: We previewed the Iconic Leaf Cigars’ banding for the Recluse
- July 24, 2012: We previewed the Liga Privada Papas Fritas
- July 24, 2012: We published a press release on the Viva Republica Rapture
- July 24, 2012: We previewed the Nat Cicco Aniversario 1965
- July 24, 2012: We previewed Urbano Cigars’ sampler packs.
- July 24, 2012: We assessed the La Aurora Cien Años
- July 24, 2012: We previewed the J. Grotto Lancero Limitado by Ocean State Cigars.
- July 24, 2013: We published the Feature Story, The KILO Project
- July 24, 2013: We previewed the CAO Flathead.
- July 24, 2013: We published a press release on Nat Sherman International launching a Pop-Up Shop in Collaboration with Brooklyn’s Widow Jane Distillery and Cacao Prieto
- July 24, 2014: We reported on Villiger North America promoting Shawna Williams to Vice President of Sales
- July 24, 2014: We reported on the Rocky Patel Super Ligero
- July 24, 2014: We reported on the Alec Bradley Coyol
- July 24, 2014: We reported on Quesada Petites
- July 24, 2015: We reported on General Cigar Company at the 2015 IPCPR Trade Show
- July 24. 2015: We published the Feature Story, Cigar Conversation with Davidoff CEO Hans-Kristian Hoejsgaard at IPCPR 2015
- July 24, 2015: We reported on the Viaje Satori 2015
- July 24, 2016: We reported on the Ciguardian Disposable Humidification Pouch
- July 24, 2016: We reported on the return of the Liga Privada No. 9 and T52 Flying Pigs and Velvet Rats heading to Drew Diplomat Retailers
- July 24, 2016 We reported on Drew Estate going national with Deadwood Tobacco Sweet Jane, Fat Bottom Betty and Crazy Alice
- July 24, 2016: We reported on Joya de Nicaragua Cabinetta Serie being rebranded as Joya Cabinetta
- July 24, 2016: We published the 2016 IPCPR Pre Game Report Part 4: Around the Show Floor
- July 24, 2016: We reported on Drew Estate and Caldwell Cigar Company announcing details of All Out Kings
- July 24, 2016: We reported on the Michael Cellucci departing Drew Estate and Glenn Wolfson being named new CEO
- July 24, 2016: We reported on the Recluse OTG Habano
- July 24, 2017: We reported on six public health organizations petitioning a Federal Court for Motion to Intervene in Cigar Industry Lawsuit
- July 24, 2017: We published the Feature Story, Spotlight on Plasencia Cigars at the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show
- July 24, 2017: We reported on Southern Draw Cigars introducing new packaging and band art at the 2017 IPCPR
- July 24, 2017: We reported on the AJ Fernandez Enclave Broadleaf
- July 24, 2018: We published the Feature Story, Spotlight on Miami Cigar and Company at the 2018 IPCPR
- July 24, 2018: We reported on the Rock-A-Feller Vintage Red Label Maduro Lancero
- July 24, 2018: We reported on RoMa Craft Tobac Weaselitos
- July 24, 2019: We published Prime Time Special Edition #57: The Desert Rose Show with Robert Holt
- July 24, 2019: We reported on the Illusione Singularé 2019
- July 24, 2019: We reported on J.C. Newman Cigar Company shipping the Brick House Ciento Por Ciento TAA Exclusive
- July 24, 2019: We published IPCPR 2019 Spotlight: Plasencia Cigars
- July 24, 2020: We published Ten Years of Cigar Coop: Part 7 – Freeway of Love: The Pink Cadillac Ride Begins
- July 24, 2020: We reported on the AJ Fernandez 6 x 60 New World Connecticut