The Cigar Industry Report is a one stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop and Stogie Geeks. It is a combination of our news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. We will also recap what happened on our Stogie Geeks show. Finally, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 37 (Edition 186 8/6/16)
Feature of the Week: Post IPCPR Trade Show Announcements Swarm
This past week was dominated by the International Premium Cigar and Pipe Retailer (IPCPR)’s 84th annual Convention and Trade Show. However as you can see in our “Other News” section, there was a flurry of additional product announcements. Some were by companies who were at the trade show, but opted not to show all product (i.e. packaging not ready a major reason). Others were by companies who opted to stay home. This was probably the most post IPCPR product-centric news in the week following the show that we have ever seen.
Our product-centric coverage was present throughout the trade show. Over the next couple of weeks we will be compiling our detailed post-game coverage. A full digest of all of our product coverage can be found here.
Detailed IPCPR Coverage
- Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust: We took a closer look at the new Mi Querida release.
- Duran Cigars: We took a closer look at the Duran Azan Blue Connecticut.
- MBombay: We took a look at the new MBombay Vintage Reserve Lancero 1973.
- 1502 Cigars: We took a closer look at the 1502 Blue Sapphire.
- Boutique Blends: We took a look at the Oliveros Gran Retorno.
- Caldwell Cigar Company: We took a look at the Eastern Standard Dos Firmas (Caldwell Signature). We also took a look at the Eastern Standard Midnight Express.
- Davidoff: We published our interview with Davidoff CEO Hans-Kristian Hoejsgaard. We took a look at some additions to the White Label pillar including Davidoff Signature and line extensions to the Davidoff Grand Cru line.
- E.P. Carrillo: The company unveiled its revamped portfolio. This week, we took a look at several of the new and revamped releases including: Original Rebel, INCH, Interlude, We also looked at new packaging for New Wave Reserva and Seleccion Oscuro.
- IPCPR: We took a look at the Kickoff of the 84th Annual Convention & Trade Show and Annual Step Up Awards.
- La Flor Dominicana: We took a look at the return of the La Flor Dominicana Reserva Especial Returns which included three new sizes. We also took a look at the new La Flor La Nox Petite.
- Leaf Cigars: The company introduced a new Robusto size to the Leaf by Oscar line.
- Nomad Cigar Company: We took a look at the Nomad Signature Series, Nomad Fin de Los Mundos, and Nomad GB-19.
- Perdomo: We took a look at the Perdomo 20th Anniversary Connecticut.
- TABSA: We did a feature story on “TABSA Goes Connecticut Shade at IPCPR 2016“
- Black Label Trading Company: Post-IPCPR, the company announced a new release called Santa Muerte.
- El Primer Mundo / Padilla: Sean Williams and Ernesto Padilla announced a collaboration called Doctrine
- Espinosa Cigars: Several announcements were made of products that were not showcased. This includes an expansion of the 601 line. There were line extensions to Espinosa Especial, Murcielago, Espinosa Habano, and new Espinosa Crema sizes.
- Sosa Cigars: Antillean Cigar Corporation made several announcements for its Sosa brand including two barber-pole releases: the Sosa Underground Delphic Dual Wrapper and the bourbon-cured Sosa Auric Perfectum Spiced. In addition the Sosa Auric Perfectum Lancero line extension was released.
- Southern Draw Cigars: The Austin, Texas-based company made several announcements. This was highlighted by two new blends: Jacobs Ladder and Rose of Sharon. There were also line extensions announced for Firethorn,Kudzu, and the blends of QuickDraw. The company also expanded its Private Label Program and new packaging.
FDA Regulations for the cigar industry begin to go into effect on Monday August 8th, 2016.
On Going Coverage
- Senate Bill S. 441: S. 441 is the Senate Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week, no new co-sponsors were added. The total sponsor count remains at 21.
- House Bill HR 662: H.R. 662 is House Bill to gain an exemption from the FDA on premium cigars. This week no new co-sponsored were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 166.
- House Bill 2058: H.R. 2058 is the House Bill to change the effective date for cigars subject to FDA regulation from 2007 to 21 months following any proposed regulations are put into effect. This week no new co-sponsored were added. The total number of sponsors is now 72.
This month’s editorial was called Green Visor and Typewriter
This week we did a IPCPR recap with Jonathan David as our Special Guest Host. We broke down the IPCPR Trade Show. In our Debonaire Ideal, we took a look at IPCPR After Hours. Finally, we reviewed our favorite IPCPR smokes in our Stogies of the Week.
Stogie Geeks Shorts
This week we published our interview with Hans-Kristian Hoejsgaard, the Davidoff CEO.
Stogie Geeks News
This week we took a look at Davidoff White Label Extensions, the Connecticut Shade releases out of TABSA, and the post IPCPR releases from Espinosa.
Stogie Geeks Throwback
This week we go back to Episode 21, Who’s Your Daddy?
On this date August 6th…
- August 6th 2011: We took a look at line Extensions to Macanudo Cru Royale.
- August 6th 2011: We did a pre-release assessment of the My Father El Hilo.
- August 6th 2011: We previewed the Rocky Patel Fifty.
- August 6th 2012: We previewed the Tatuaje Old Man and the C (2012).
- August 6th 2012: We previewed the Tatuaje Avion 12.
- August 6th 2012: We previewed General Cigars’ Don Sixto by Placencia.
- August 6th 2012: We recapped the 2012 IPCPR Step Up Awards.
- August 6th 2012: We previewed the Fernando Leon Family Reserve by La Aurora.
- August 6th 2012: We previewed the Macanudo Vintage 2006.
- August 6th 2012: We previewed the Tatuaje Cojonu 2012 Habano.
- August 6th 2012: We previewed the Tatuaje Mummy.
- August 6th 2013: We assessed the Viaje Late Harvest Hang Time (2013).
- August 6th 2013: We previewed the CCLE Plus 11/18, a Retail Exclusive to Butthead’s Tobacco Emporium.
- August 6th 2013: We previewed the Elogio Robusto Limitada.
- August 6th 2013: We recapped a discussion on Steve Saka’s retirement.
- August 6th 2013: We previewed the Cuenca 5 Anniversary Robusto Box Pressed.
- August 6th 2014: We assessed the Camacho Liberty 2014.
- August 6th 2014: We reported on the Macanudo Estate Reserve 2014 – Limited Edition Jamaica.
- August 6th 2014: We reported on the Kristoff Kristanna Maduro.
- August 6th 2014: We did a Feature Story on Hirochi Robaina and Cubanacan Cigars at the 2014 IPCPR Trade Show.
- August 6th 2015: We reported on theAlec Bradley Fine and Rare JRS 10=(86) (Alec Bradley Fine and Rare 2015).
- August 6th 2015: We reported on the Partagas 170 Aniversario.
- August 6th 2015: We reported on the new Kuuts Connecticut.
- August 6th 2015: We did a Feature Story called “Spotlight on MBombay Cigars at 2015 IPCPR“