The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 7, Number 32 Edition 285 (6/30/18)
IPCPR Pre Game Reports
- Bombay Tobak: The company is releasing a new brand known as MQBA.
- Cornelius & Anthony: The company announced two limited production IPCPR Show Exclusives – The Gent and The Mistress.
- Drew Estate: The company will launch Factory Smokes by Drew Estate, a bundle offering.
- Island Lifestyle Importers: At the 2018 Trade Show, the company will have an official kickoff of its new distribution agreement with Ventura Cigar Company.
- Villiger: The company will launch a limited edition lancero size of La Flor de Ynclan.
- American Caribbean Cigars: The company will introduce two new brands – The Bouncer and Bella Mundo.
- Black Works Studio: James Brown’s brand will release Yellow Jacket, an IPCPR exclusive.
- Cigar Oasis: The accessories company will roll out its next generation Cigar Oasis 3.0 humidifier line.
- Colibri: The company will launch its new Quasar Cut cutter.
- Crowned Heads: The company will release its first ever 6 x 60. It will fall under the Luminosa line and will be a limited release known as the Luminosa Gigantes LE 2018.
- Crux Cigar Company: The company will release Epicure Galant, its first maduro offering. The Crux Limtiada line receives two new frontmarks with RedLine and Gunner.
- Foundation Cigar Company: The company will release a lancero size of The Wise Man Maduro.
- Gurkha: The Gurkha Cellar Reserve 10-Year Anniversary is moving to regular production
- IndianHead Cigars: The company will launch limited edition line extensions to its La Galera core offerings known as The Cubes.
- JSK Cigars: As a part of its brick and mortar focus, the company has closed its online store and will attend the 2018 IPCPR.
- La Aurora: The company will showcase a limited offering known as La Aurora Hors D’Age.
- La Barba: The company will launch La Barba Primitivo, its first maduro offering.
- Miami Cigar and Company: The company will launch the limited edition Nestor Miranda Collection 75th Anniversary. In addition ,the Tatiana brand is expanding to include the new Caribbean Chill and Harvest Moon offerings.
- Oscar Valladares Tobacco & Co: The company will launch the Altar Q, a tribute to Mayan kings, in Honduras.
- Quesada Cigars: The company will launch a new brand known as Vega Magna.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: The Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve is returning to national distribution.
- Southern Draw Cigars: The company is discontinuing its Short Panatela and Petit Corona offerings in its QuickDraw line and has also announced a price increase.
News and Previews
- AVO: The AVO 22 30th Anniversary edition has begun to arrive at stores.
- Best Cigar Prices: The internet cigar company is moving into the brick and mortar space.
- Joya de Nicaragua: The recently re-packaged Joya de Nicaragua Clasico will become a Casa de Montecristo and JR Cigar exclusive
- PDR Cigars: Richie Otero is the company’s new Director of Sales.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 145.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 21.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017, to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week one new co-sponsor, Robert Wittman [R-Virginia[ was added. The total number of sponsors is now at 94.
- FDA: Seventeen U.S. Senators have written to FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb urging him to consider a premium cigar exemption. Meanwhile opening arguments were heard in the lawsuit against the FDA by Texas cigar companies.
- Massachusetts: The State Senate has voted to raise the smoking age to 21. A similar bill was passed in the House. Both bills must be reconciled before going to Governor Charlie Baker’s desk.
Cigar Coop Coffee Collection
Prime Time Show
For Episode 58 we welcomed Dion Giolito of Illusione Cigars to the show. For our Debonaire Ideal segment we discussed Fireworks. Finally, in our Deliberation Segment, we discussed what is important in making a cigar purchase.
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 59 (7/5/18): Jason Holly, Viva Republica
Episode 59 (7/26/18): Terence Reilly, Aganorsa Leaf
Prime Time Special Edition
On this date June 30th
- June 30th, 2011: We previewed the Room 101 LTD Namakubi.
- June 30th 2011: We re-posted a press released on the Berger & Argenti Entubar CRV.
- June 30th, 2012: We assessed the My Father Le Bijou 1922 Ecuadorian Connecticut Federal Cigar Edition Petite Robusto
- June 30th, 2013: We published Part 4 of our 2013 IPCPR Preview Series, “Around the Show Floor (Part 1)’“
- June 30th, 2014: We reported on the Roberto P. Duran Cigar.
- June 30th, 2014: We assessed the CAO Flathead Sparkplug 450.
- June 30th, 2015: We reported on the Casa Fernandez JFR Lunatic Jackhammer.
- June 30th, 2015: We reported on Davidoff’s second Cave de Paille Masterpiece Collection Humidor.
- June 30th 2015: We assessed the Viaje Throw Down Dojonation.
- June 30th, 2016: We reported on the D’Crossier Presidential Collection Pennsylvania Avenue.
- June 30th, 2016: We reported on Viaje’s 2016 IPCPR Plans.
- June 30th, 2016: We reported on U.S. State Department issuing a travel alert to Nicaragua.
- June 30th, 2017: We reported on the Joya de Nicaragua Joya Family Sampler.
- June 30th, 2016: We reported on the Ventura Cigar Company Hugo Chairman.
- June 30th, 2017: We reported on new bands for La Barba Red and Purple.
- June 30th, 2017: We published Juan Cancel and Bill Ives, Cubariqueño Cigar Company.
- June 30th, 2017: We reported on three sizes of Island Lifestyle Aged Reserve Cigars being Showcased at the 2017 IPCPR.
- June 30th, 2017: We reported on the Colibri Gotham Lighter.
- June 30th, 2017: We reported on the partnership between Foundation Cigar Company and Highclere Castle Cigar Company.
- June 30th, 2017: We reported on the new S.T. Dupont miniJet Lighter Design
- June 30th, 2017: We reported on the launch of the Gaaja Natural Robusto.
- June 30th, 2017: We reported on the Crux du Connoisseur No. 4