The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8 am Eastern Time.
WELCOME CURRENT SPONSOR ALPHA CIGAR COMPANY AS OUR NEW SPONSOR FOR THE CIGAR INDUSTRY REPORT!
Cigar Industry Report: Volume 6, Number 32 (Edition 233 7/1/17)
Feature of the Week: Premium Cigar Exemption and Grandfather Change Makes Agriculture Appropriations Bill
A Proposed Premium Cigar Exemption and Grandfather Date change has cleared House Appropriations Subcommittee. The Agriculture Appropriations Bill will now be drafted into a final overall Appropriations Bill and there is a chance the proposals for premium cigars may not make be included. We got the details here.
IPCPR 2017 Pre Game
Our 2017 IPCPR Digest is live. You can follow up on all of our reports leading up to the 2017 IPCPR Trade Show opening July 10th in Las Vegas. We published Part 1 of our IPCPR Pre-Game Report: “A Look at This Year’s Trade Show and Convention“.
These are some of our IPCPR Pre-Game reports of things to expect at this year’s show.
- Bombay Tobak: The company will add the Gaaja Natural Robusto line extension.
- De Los Reyes Cigars: The company will showcase Saga Short Tales Tomo 3, 4, and 5
- Drew Estate: The company announced a new new Merchandising Solution for Drew Diplomat Retailers.
- Alec Bradley: The company will formally introduce the Alec Bradley Black Market Estelí and the Alec Bradley Prensado Lost Art.
- Colibri: The company will introduce the new Gotham Lighter at 2017 IPCPR.
- Crux Cigar Company: The line that produced our 2016 Cigar f the Year will introduce a new Corona Gorda line extension called the Crux du Connoisseur No. 4. The company also announced the Crux Limitada Show Exclusive 2017 and the Crux PB5 Limitada Third Release.
- Foundation Cigar Company: Nick Melillo’s company will Cigar News: Foundation Cigar Co. to produce and distribute a new cigar for Highclere Castle Cigar Co. The company will also team up with Layne Coffee to produce its coffee line.
- Gurkha Cigars: The company will release the Gurkha 10th Anniversary 15 Year Cellar Reserve. Meanwhile, the Gurkha Master and Gurkha Havana Legend are returning. In addition, the Blendmaster’s Cask will be re-introduced.
- Island Lifestyle Importers LLC: Cigar News: Three Sizes of Island Lifestyle Aged Reserve Cigars to be Showcased at 2017 IPCPR. The company also announced the Tommy Bahama Regatta Collection.
- Joya de Nicaragua: The company will introduce its new Joya Family Sampler
- La Barba Cigars: The company will introduce new bands for its La Barba Red and La Barba Purple lines.
- Mombacho Cigars SA: The company will introduce the new Cosecha 2012.
- Nomad Cigar Company: The company will release a “Nomad Classic Dominican First Run 2012” of two sizes from its first line.
- Recluse Cigar Company: Citing the new California tax increase, the company will stay home from 2017 IPCPR.
- Rocky Patel Premium Cigars: The company will introduce the Java Red and new “x-press” line extensions to the Java Line
- S.T. Dupont: The company will introduce the a new miniJet Lighter Design.
- Ventura Cigar Company: The company is partnering with Rocky Patel for the Hugo Chairman cigar.
- Whiff Industries: The company will launch two new Whiff Out Scents.
- Viaje: The Viaje Zombie Biohazard 2017 was release to two retailers.
- House of Representatives: H.R. 564 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors at 118.
- U.S. Senate: S.294 is the Senate companion bill to H.R. 564. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 16.
- House Bill 1136: H.R. 1136 is the legislation to change the Grandfather Date for Deeming Tobacco products subject to FDA Regulation from February 15, 2017 to 21 days after enactment of the regulations. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 77.
- California: A 153 percent tax increase n premium cigars has gone into effect – raising the tax to 65.08% of the wholesale cost.
- Delaware: There is a proposed tax increase on cigars from 15 to 30 percent.
- Davidoff Art Edition 2017
- E.P. Carrillo Capa de Sol Sultan
- Marrero Tesoro Mio Barberpole Perfecto
- Protocol Themis Robusto by Cubariqueño Cigar Company
Prime Time Show
For Episode 12, Juan Cancel and Bill Ives, Cubariqueño Cigar Company were our special guesst. We talked coffee in our Debonaire Ideal Segment, In our Deliberation Segment with his a variety of topic including “Smoke Now or Wait” when it comes to purchasing a cigar.
Prime Time Special Edition
For Special Edition #5, we welcomed J. Glynn Loope, Executive Director of Cigar Rights of America.
Prime Time Schedule
Upcoming Schedule (Subject to Change)
Episode 13 (7/5/17-Weds): Skip Martin, RoMa Craft Tobac
IPCPR Trade Show 7/10-7/14/17
Episode 14 (7/20/17): Tim Cavenagh and Justin Gao Mathson Hansen, Alpha Cigar Company
Episode 15 (7/27/17): Paul Stulac, Paul Stulac Cigars
Episode 16 (8/3/17): Bryan Mussard, Cattle Baron Cigars
On this date July 1st…
- July 1st, 2011: We published our Cigar Month in Review for June 2011.
- July 1st, 2011: We assessed the Monte Pascoal.
- July 1st, 2012: We published our Editor’s Corner, “The Story Behind the Press Releases“.
- July 1st, 2012: We published our 2012 IPCPR Trade Show Preview Part 1: “The Five Boutiques to Watch”.
- July 1st, 2013: We published our Editor’s Corner, “The Coffee Chain, the 2013 IPCPR, and ‘The Streak‘”
- July 1st, 2013: We previewed the Casa Fernandez 35th Anniversary cigar.
- July 1st, 2013: We previewed the Dunhill Aged Series Balatas.
- July 1st, 2013: We previewed the Casa Fernandez Miami Reserva Maduro.
- July 1st, 2013: We previewed the La Gloria Cubana Gilded Age.
- July 1st, 2013: We reported on the Nomad S-307.
- July 1st, 2014: We reported on Iconic Leaf Cigars shipping the Recluse Amadeus to Select Retailers
- July 1st, 2014: We reported on the Camacho Liberty 2014.
- July 1st, 2014: We reported on the Arandoza Red.
- July 1st, 2014: We assessed the G.A.R. Red by George Rico
- July 1st, 2014: We reported on the Mombacho Cigars entering the U.S. Market with Tierra Volcan.
- July 1st, 2014: We reported on Warped Cigars’ Flor del Valle line.
- July 1st, 2014: We published our Editor’s Corner “Closer to IPCPR Time“.
- July 1st, 2014: We reported Miami Cigar Company becoming the exclusive U.S. Distributor for Hfbarcelona.
- July 1st, 2014: We reported on the Davidoff’s rebranded Davidoff Primeros Dominican Line, and new Davidoff Primeros Nicaragua Line.
- July 1st, 2015: We reported on the Tatuaje Verocu becoming a regular production line.
- July 1st, 2015: We reported on the Tierra Volcan Fino.
- July 1st, 2015: We reported on the Emilio Carpe Noctem becoming a shop exclusive.
- July 1st, 2015: We assessed the Romeo by Romeo y Julieta Aging Room Small Batch F25 Capriccio
- July 1st, 2015: We reported on the Casa Fernandez Aniversario 2015 release.
- July 1st, 2015: We published our Editor’s Corner “Everybody Wants to Rule the World“.
- July 1st, 2016: We reported on Cornelius & Anthony relaunching Meridian.
- July 1st, 2016: We reported on Cornelius & Anthony launching Venganza.
- July 1st, 2016: We reported Cigar News: E.P. Carrillo Adding INCH Coloradon E.P. Carrillo adding the INCH Colorado
- July 1st, 2016: We published a feature story “A Closer Look at J. Cortès“.
- July 1st, 2016: We reported on J. Cortès acquiring Oliva Cigar Company.
- July 1st, 2016: We published our Editor’s Corner “Decision Points“.