The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 335 (6/22/19)
Feature of the Week: Leaked Information on IPCPR Renaming and Rebranding Sets Off Industry Firestorm
The International Premium Cigar and Pipe Retailers (IPCPR) Association had plans to unveil a new name and a new mission statement to kick off its 87th Trade Show and Convention. Those announcements did not go off as planned as information leaked out and quickly set off a huge firestorm of reaction across the cigar industry. We recap what happened here.
2019 IPCPR Pre-Game
In addition we filed the following product reports:
- Aganorsa Leaf: The company will announced the Casa Fernandez Aniversario Box Pressed Perfecto and the Guardian of the Farm Nightwatch
- Casa Cuevas Cigars: The company released additional information on the La Mandarria
- Drew Estate: The following announcements were made:
- 7-20-4 Cigars: The 7-20-4 1874 Series will be showcased
- Black Label Trading Company: The Last Rites Viaticum will be an IPCPR Exclusive. The brand is also revamping its core offerings and adding Porcelain to the lineup
- Cavalier Genéve: The company announced rebranding for its Black Series USA Exclusive
- Cubariqueño Cigar Company: The company will introduce the Protocol Sir Robert Peel.
- Dissident Cigars: The company will relaunch Dissident Bloc and Dissident Soapbox.
- Emilio Cigars: The brand is bringing back the La Musa and is relaunching the Emilio Suave.
- E.P. Carrillo: The company will release the E.P. Carrillo INCH Limited Edition 2019
- Foundation Cigar Company: The company will release the Highclere Castle Victorian
- Fratello Cigars: the company will release the Fratello Piccolo
- Joya de Nicaragua: The company will release the Joya de Nicaragua Numero Uno. In addition, the company is releasing the Cinco Décadas Fundador line extension
- La Aurora: The company will release the La Aurora 107 Cosecha 2007 and the La Aurora Preferidos Hors d’Age is returning.
- La Flor Dominicana: The company will release its ultra-premium La Fleur D’or Cutter
- La Sirena: The company has released the La Sirena Aniversario Especial
- Mombacho Cigars SA: The company will release the Cosecha 2014
- Oscar Valladares Tobacco & Co: The company will release Wild Hunter, a two blend line and the Super Fly
- Quesada Cigars: The company will introduce Quesada 1974 to the U.S. market. Meanwhile, the Quesada Oktoberfest is returning for 2019.
- Southern Draw Cigars: The company will release the Southern Draw Kudzu Lustrum for its fifth anniversary and the 300 Hands Connecticut
- Tatuaje Cigars: The company will release the Tatuaje ME and ME II.
- Toscano Cigars: The company will release the Toscano Stilnovo to be showcased at 2019 IPCPR
- Vintage Rock-A-Feller Cigar Group: The company will release the Rock-A-Feller Dominican Blue.
- Davidoff: The Davidoff Complexion is the latest Vault release.
- Crux Cigar Company: The Crux Limitada Gunner is heading to retailers
- GTO Dominican Cigars: The company has launched the Corona de GTO 10 Años Anniversario Connecticut
- Isabela Cigar Company: The company has released the Pepperhead
- Kristoff Cigars: The company has released the Pistoff Kristoff Firecracker as a Two Guys Smoke Shop Exclusive
- Mombacho Cigars SA: Announced it will expand distribution into Angola.
- Perdomo Cigars: Announced Nicholas Perdomo, III as its new National Director of Sales
- U.S. Senate: S.9 is a proposed piece of legislation that calls for an exemption from FDA Regulation for premium handmade cigars. This week no new co-sponsors were added. The total number of sponsors remains at 13.
- U.S. House of Representatives: H.R.1854 is the House Companion Bill to S.9. This week Brian Fitzpatrick [R-Pennsylvania] was added as a co-sponsor. The total number of sponsors is now at 66.
- FDA: The agency announced a 30-day extension for the comment period on Draft Guidance for Substantial Equivalence
- Connecticut: Governor Ned Lamont has signed a bill raising the tobacco purchase age to 21.
- Oregon: HB 2270, includes a proposal for raising the 50 cent tax cap on premium cigars to $1.00. The bill now goes on the ballot this November where State Voters will decide
Prime Time Show
We celebrated Episode 100 by wrapping up our three-part IPCPR Pre-Game. On this episode, we went through our IPCPR 2019 “Big Board” and discussing the leaks of the “IPCPR Major Announcement.”
Prime Time Special Edition
Episode 101 (7/11/19): Cigar Hustler Mike
Prime Time Special Edition
On this date June 22nd…
- June 22 ,2012: We had a short Cigar Conversation with Rocky Patel at Outman Cigars in Greenville, South Carolina.
- June 22, 2012: We did a Feature Story on “How Long Should Tobacco Be Aged?”
- June 22, 2013: We published Cigar Week Wrap: Volume 2, Number 23 (6/22/13)
- June 22, 2013: We previewed Royal Gold Cigars to Launch Nirvana Cameroon Selection
- June 22, 2013: We previewed the Aging Room Maduro
- June 22, 2013: We reported on the Davidoff Year of the Horse and 25th Anniversary Cigars
- June 22, 2013: We published “2014 IPCPR Trade Show Preview Part 2: The Potential Cigar Trends“
- June 22, 2015: We reported on the My Father Limited Edition 2015 5th Anniversary
- June 22, 2015: We assessed the Flor de D’Crossier Selection No. 512 Hermosos No. 2 by D’Crossier Cigars
- June 22, 2015: We reported on the 1502 Nicaragua Churchill
- June 22, 2015: We reported on the Joya de Nicaragua Cuatro Cinco Reserva Especial
- June 22, 2016: We reported on the Davidoff 2016 Golden Band Award Nominees
- June 22, 2016: We assessed the Davidoff – The Chefs Edition
- June 22, 2016: We reported on the Black Works Studio Killer Bee Green Hornet
- June 22, 2016: We reported on the My Father Le Bijou 1922 Limited Edition 2016
- June 22, 2017: We published Prime Time Episode 56: All-Star Industry Panel Discussion
- June 22, 2017: We published Prime Time Special Edition #4: Cuba and More with Hector Alfonso Sr
- June 22, 2017: We reported on Casa de Montecristo opening a Nashville store
- June 22, 2017: We reported on the José María López Inchaurbe Replacing de Ercilla as Development VP at Habanos SA
- June 22, 2018: We assessed the FSG Belicoso by Drew Estate
- June 22, 2018: We reported on Cigar Oasis handling distribution for Ash-Stay
- June 22, 2018: We reported on the Nick & Jim P.B.E.Torpedo and 6 x 60.line extensions.
- June 22, 2018: We reported on the Casa Fernandez Aniversario Perfecto
- June 22, 2018: We published Prime Time Episode 57: 2018 Prime Time IPCPR Pre-Game Show
- June 22, 2018: We reported on the UPS and Teamsters reaching a tentative agreement to avoid a strike