The Cigar Industry Report is a one-stop place to catch up on the activity here at Cigar Coop. It is a combination of the news reports, cigar reviews, and assessment updates we do throughout the week. In addition, each week we will look back at Cigar Coop history. Look for this report every Saturday morning at 8am Eastern Time.
Cigar Industry Report: Edition 493 (7/9/22)
Court Rules FDA’s Final Deeming Rule Not to Exempt Premium Cigars was Arbitrary and Capricious
In what could be considered a major win for the cigar industry, Judge Amit P. Mehta of the U.S. District Court of Columbia has ruled the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s decision to not exempt premium cigars from regulation on the Final Deeming Rule was arbitrary and capricious. We have the details here.
Fuente and Padrón Legends to be Unveiled at 2022 PCA Trade Show
We know the long-awaited project between Fuente and Padrón will be unveiled, and know the name will be Legends. Details are still sparse, but you can read about them here.
E.P. Carrillo Allegiance to be Produced at Oliva Cigar
Last week Oliva Cigar announced that E.P. Carrillo would be producing one of its cigars. This week came word that Oliva would now produce a cigar for E.P. Carrillo called the Allegiance. Read more here.
Cigar Coop Ironman Daily Publication Streak Surpasses 10-Year Mark
On July 3, 2012, the decision was made to turn Cigar Coop into a daily publication. Since then we have published original content (no rinse/no repeat/no recycled) each and every day. This past week we reached the 10-year mark of never missing a day. We look back at things in this article.
2022 PCA Trade Show Opens
The 2022 Premium Cigar Association (PCA) Trade Show officially opens today in Las Vegas, Nevada. Convention activities started yesterday. If you want to know who will be there and who is releasing product, be sure to check out The Big Board!
- Altadis USA: We reported on the Omar Ortez Connecticuts
- Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust: We reported on the Mi Querida Black SakaKhan. The company is also bringing back the Todos Las Dias Thick Lonsdale Mas Fuerte for 2023
- JC Newman Cigar Company: Announced it will be launching the Angel Cuesta as well as the revamped Diamond Crown Black Diamond and El Baton lines.
- Tatuaje Cigars: We reported details around the Tatuaje Havana VI Verocú Blue Launching at PCA 2022
- Artista Cigars: Announced a rebranding as well as the Harvest, Midnight, and Paperboy releases.
- Cavalier Genève: Announced a new brand in its portfolio called Inner Circle
- CigarMedics: Announced the HumidMeter Pro, and the NubTree products
- DBL Cigars: Announced it will release a 3 blend line called El Final
- El Septimo Geneva: The company announced the Emperor Collection Series of ten cigars as well as the Emperor Collection Masterpiece Humidor
- Favilli Cigars: Announced that the Diplomatico Cigars project is coming to a close
- Ferio Tego: Announced the Timeless Ten Years Limited Edition
- Gurkha Cigars: We reported on the Pure Evil
- Lampert Cigars: Announced the Lampert Family Reserve 2021
- Oveja Negra Brands: Announced the Black Works Studio Killer Bee Connecticut is returning – this time as a regular production offering.
- Patina Cigars: Announced the Patina Sumatra and humidified sampler bags
- Stallone Cigars: We reported on the limited edition Nino
- Tabacalera SLU: Announced the VegaFina Tributo
- Quality Importers Trading Company: Promoted COO Alex Goldman to Company President
- Vintage Cigar Distributors of New England: Officially named James Shaffer as its National Sales Director.
- Exemption Tracker
- FDA: The comment period on the proposed ban on Flavored Cigars has been extended until July 2
Agile Cigar Reviews
The Smoking Syndicate
Features and Blog
- 2022 PCA Pre-Game Report Part 1: The Logistics
- 2022 PCA Pre-Game Report Part 2: The Things to Watch
- 2022 PCA Pre-Game Report Part 3: Predictions for the 5 Most Impactful Cigars at the Trade Show
- 2022 PCA Pre-Game Report Part 4: Why United Cigars will be “The Company” of the 2022 PCA Trade Show
- The Blog: Will Cooper & Bear Duplisea Guest on Smokin Tobacco PCA Pre-Game Show
- The Blog: Aganorsa Leaf Hires David Palm as Territory Manager
Prime Time Podcasts
Prime Time Show
- None this Week
Prime Time Special Edition
- None this Week
Prime Time Jukebox
TBA: Prime Time Jukebox Episode 124 TBD
7/25 Prime Time Jukebox Episode 75: TBA
On This Date…
On this date July 9th…
- Jul 9, 2012: We posted a press release announcing Emilio Cigars would be distributing Herederos de Robaina.
- Jul 9, 2012: We assessed the Flores y Rodriguez Cabinet Seleccion Capa Habano by PDR Cigars
- Jul 9, 2013: We previewed the Villiger Selecto
- Jul 9, 2013: We previewed some J. Fuego Origen Natural and Maduro Line Extensions.
- Jul 9, 2013: We previewed the Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970 Big Bull 760
- Jul 9, 2013: We previewed the J. Fuego Connoisseur.
- Jul 9, 2013: We reported on the La Flor Dominicana Litto Gomez Diez 2013 Vintage.
- Jul 9, 2013: We previewed the Viaje Exclusivo Double Edged Sword II.
- Jul 9, 2014: We assessed the La Antiguedad by My Father Cigars
- Jul 9, 2014: We reported on the launch of the RoMa Craft Tobac Intemperance Cigar Blend Coffee.
- Jul 9, 2015: We reported on the Crux du Connoisseur launch.
- Jul 9, 2015: We reported on Foundation Cigar Company’s debut line, El Güegüense
- Jul 9, 2015: We reported on the Insidious by Asylum Habano.
- Jul 9, 2015: We reported on the collaboration between Pete Johnson and Altadis on the Henry Clay Tattoo.
- Jul 9, 2015: We reported on the Asylum 13 Ogre Lancero.
- Jul 9, 2015: We reported on the La Palina Red Label.
- Jul 9, 2015: We reported on changes to the Asylum 13 Authentic Corojo line.
- Jul 9, 2016: We published Cigar Industry Report: Volume 5, Number 33 (7/9/16)
- Jul 9, 2017: We reported on the La Palina Number Series.
- Jul 9, 2017: We reported on the Pappy Van Winkle Tradition by Drew Estate
- Jul 9, 2017: We reported on 2012 by Oscar Line Extensions
- Jul 9, 2018: We reported on Drew Estate taking the Undercrown Dogma national.
- Jul 9, 2018: We reported on the H. Upmann Connecticut Grupo de Maestros
- Jul 9, 2018: We reported on the Montecristo Grupo De Maestros Private Batch IV
- Jul 9, 2018: We reported on the Montecristo Artisan Series Batch III
- Jul 9, 2018: We reported on Cavalier Genève taking its distribution In House and skipping the 2018 IPCPR
- Jul 9, 2018: We reported on an appeal filed in the Texas Lawsuit transfer
- Jul 9, 2019: We reported on the Partagas Limited Reserva Decadas 2019
- Jul 9, 2019: We reported on the Camacho BXP Tubos
- Jul 9, 2019: We reported on the VegaFina 1998
- Jul 9, 2019: We published IPCPR 2019 Spotlight: 7-20-4 Cigars
- Jul 9, 2020: We reported on the Alec & Bradley Kintsugi
- Jul 9, 2020: We assessed the Protocol John Doe 2.0 by Cubariqueño Cigar Company
- Jul 9, 2020: We published The Blog: Summer of ’20 “The Big Board” (7/9/20) – Standstill on What Would Have Been Trade Show Eve
- Jul 9, 2020: We reported on Casa Cuevas’ “Retailer Only Access” Initiative
- Jul 9, 2020: We reported on Espinosa 601 La Bomba Warhead VI
- Jul 9, 2020: We published The Blog: Deadline for 2020 Cigar of the Year Countdown Eligibility is Tonight
- Jul 9, 2021: We published 2021 PCA Pre-Game Report Part 4: Why Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust will be “The Company” of the 2021 PCA Trade Show